Let's talk about the upcoming phil wilson b&t (sprig)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

Let's talk about the upcoming phil wilson b&t (sprig)

Post by Surfingringo »

So, we all know this knife (The Phil Wilson bird & trout) is coming out soon. There have been rumors about this year, but who knows. Well, I couldn't wait and I managed to talk Phil into making me one in m4. Mine is a bit larger than the typical b&t and almost into "Smoke Creek" territory but I think it's close enough to the upcoming model to get an idea.

I would love to write paragraphs of flowery descriptions on this knife, but after a few days with it, I have started feeling like I don't have a strong enough command of the english language to do this knife justice. It is unbelievable. Seriously. Yes, mine is a custom, but I have full faith that Spyderco is about to produce an amazing production model of this knife. I will definitely be picking up one of the production models as soon as they come out. The fact that the upcoming spydie model will be slightly smaller than my custom model and come in a different steel is going to make that an easy call!

So anyway, I just thought I would post a few pics of my new one in use and see if anyone else is excited about this upcoming model.

Ankerson

Re: Let's talk about the upcoming phil wilson b&t (sprig)

Post by Ankerson »

Very nice. :)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

FWIW, I'm impressed!
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Fancier

Post by Fancier »

Nice to see that a "Bird and Trout" can handle something a bit larger as well. :)
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Looks like it's going to earn it's keep. I was wondering what kind of edge you use on fish? Probably not too high grit I'd think. I'm guessing 400-600 grit?

Joe
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I love small fixed blades so I've been pretty interested since glancing at mentions of it here and there, though I didn't realize it was so imminent. Really digging your custom there, so anything close I'm sure will be a winner.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

If you look on Phil's Seamount Knives website, http://www.seamountknifeworks.com/gallery.htm" target="_blank the B&T's are imo what they are supposed to look like. The 3.5" inch with jigged bone handle is perfection in a B&T. Hoping the Sprig will be very similar in design (classic'/timeless), did I forget to mention I love the knife :) Sal already said S90V which is fine by me. Scales could match the South Fork and that would also be great. If the handles were pink with purple poka dots I'd still buy the knife. Depending upon price it is one that will justify multiple(s) Does anyone know if this will be a sprint or regular run knife? I thought Sal said early next year......sooner would be better :D :D an early Christmas present? Can I pre-order now? :eek:

I am very fortunate to have one of Phil's Shelter Coves, (thank you Phil) truly a work of art. Call it my lazor blade. It's the CPM154. The neat thing about it is that is gets VERY sharp, VERY quickly with very little effort. When in the Keys a couple months ago I cleaned a bunch of Mahi, small tuna, and a few nice grouper. Had some concern cutting the rib cage bones on the grouper but the knife did well showing no readily visible edge damage. Sprig is my most anticipated Spydie. Thanks Sal and Phil.....bring it on. These guys are a serious pair of Jedi Masters. ;) Making history, one knife at a time.

Edited... thanks Tom, Masters much more accurate
Last edited by Tdog on Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

The Mastiff wrote:Looks like it's going to earn it's keep. I was wondering what kind of edge you use on fish? Probably not too high grit I'd think. I'm guessing 400-600 grit?

Joe
You know Joe, I have used everything from a 220 grit coarse edge to 2000 grit refined. I like the coarse edge for some cleaning tasks and the more refined edge for others. I am actually experimenting with different edges on this and my fillet knife right now Trying to find a good middle of the road finish that will give me a balanced performance. I'm playing with some finishes in the 600-1000 range right now and am pleased with the results I'm getting so far.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Awesome photos Lance! Keep em coming :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I would love to hear your comments on your experience of M4 vs S90v in the Southfork for this type of work.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Phi Wilson is a jedi master. His knives are incredible.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

You know Joe, I have used everything from a 220 grit coarse edge to 2000 grit refined. I like the coarse edge for some cleaning tasks and the more refined edge for others. I am actually experimenting with different edges on this and my fillet knife right now Trying to find a good middle of the road finish that will give me a balanced performance. I'm playing with some finishes in the 600-1000 range right now and am pleased with the results I'm getting so far.
These steels have good bite even at higher grits. I don't clean and filet many fish any more and when I did they were smaller freshwater types. The biggest were Pike and catfish. Practically panfish compared to some you pull in.

I use my knives mostly on tape, cardboard, some things from para cord up to manilla rope and nylon rope topping out at maybe an inch, but mostly less. Food I occasionally cut when it's frozen and I get fairly fat free stuff so more times than not I can get away with probably 200 grit and above. The most I used to regularly sharpen to was 8k but it's been a few years since I've done that. Just don't have the need any more. I like the biting feel of the lower grits with medium to high carbide steels. Super Blue isn't a real high carbide steel but it's just plain fun to sharpen.

The first time I sharpened one of Phil's knives I was amazed how easy it is due to the geometry. You just need fresh steel basically and that takes a minute or two once the edge you want is established. Monster steels like S110V at rc 63.5 is easier than some 440C knives I've had to sharpen but that's mostly because I was removing steel to make the edge sharper than a marble. The Cruwear knife from him is a dream to use and sharpen. It really brings out the performance of the steel cutting wise. No batoning though. I'll leave that to Phil as he's running tests on new steels.

Everything from the size, geometry, to the steel choice makes that an excellent knife for what you are doing. Make sure your lanyard stays anchored to you or the kayak when out though. Imagine the feeling you would have giving that one up to the ocean. I cringe thinking about it.

Joe
chrisp

Post by chrisp »

That does not appear to be a trout; nevertheless, I am impressed at your proactive move to commission a custom from the collaborator. Do Spyderco make their models from as thin blade stock as Phil Wilson? It seems that the South Fork is as popular a fixed blade as any they have made. I enjoy your real-world reports of knives in a saltwater environment.

Thanks!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

chrisp wrote:That does not appear to be a trout; nevertheless, I am impressed at your proactive move to commission a custom from the collaborator. Do Spyderco make their models from as thin blade stock as Phil Wilson? It seems that the South Fork is as popular a fixed blade as any they have made. I enjoy your real-world reports of knives in a saltwater environment.

Thanks!
Hey Chrisp, yeah, this one is definitely more of a Smoke Creek than a b&t. I guess I still call it a b&t because that's the idea that Phil and I started with. The more I shared with him about how I planned to use the knife, the more it evolved into something different. Two things are for sure...I love the custom that I ended up with and I am very excited to get a smaller version in the form of the b&t collaboration that Spyederco is coming out with.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

chrisp wrote:That does not appear to be a trout; nevertheless, I am impressed at your proactive move to commission a custom from the collaborator. Do Spyderco make their models from as thin blade stock as Phil Wilson? It seems that the South Fork is as popular a fixed blade as any they have made. I enjoy your real-world reports of knives in a saltwater environment.

Thanks!

That would be something that Sal or Eric would have to address I believe.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

"That would be something that Sal or Eric would have to address I believe." :D
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

They have addressed this before. As much as they'd like to offer grinds as makers like Phil intended and some enthusiasts hope for, it's not the best route in a production setting where certain aspects need to be made more "idiot proof". The warranty claims, the claims of bad quality because end users do not understand what they have is just not worth it. I'll give you a quick example, a YT reviewer Nutfancy made a video on the SouthFork... Now read the comments section on the video. Everyone's like derp derp duhhhhh. Now imagine one of those guys buying a SF thinly ground by Spyderco.... They'll send it straight back to Spyderco because they couldn't hammer with it.
Gravedigger

Post by Gravedigger »

Any idea on release date for the Spig?
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

FCM415 wrote:They have addressed this before. As much as they'd like to offer grinds as makers like Phil intended and some enthusiasts hope for, it's not the best route in a production setting where certain aspects need to be made more "idiot proof". The warranty claims, the claims of bad quality because end users do not understand what they have is just not worth it. I'll give you a quick example, a YT reviewer Nutfancy made a video on the SouthFork... Now read the comments section on the video. Everyone's like derp derp duhhhhh. Now imagine one of those guys buying a SF thinly ground by Spyderco.... They'll send it straight back to Spyderco because they couldn't hammer with it.

Yes, they have to idiot proof things.

Saw a picture of a knife the other day sent to me that was put in the hands of an idiot and the result was what one would expect from an idiot.

So in retrospect I wouldn't recommend that they would grind anywhere near as thin as some would like them to because there would be no way Spyderco could control who got one.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Another big corvina today. Cleaned this one with the Wilson. Didn't even break out the fillet knife. You could read a newspaper through the rib cage when I was done. :)