So this just happened to my Manix2 :(

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
razorback1595

So this just happened to my Manix2 :(

Post by razorback1595 »

Disengaged the lock and it felt all wobly.. Looked at it, and then it just fell apart :(.. There goes one of my favourite EDC's :(..

Fancier

Re: So this just happened to my Manix2 :(

Post by Fancier »

Ouch!
Holland

Post by Holland »

Brutal, did you drop it or anything along those lines?
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Dang! Now the knife is not usable. Send it to me. I'll send it to Spyderco to get it repaired under warranty. :) Or, you could send it to Spyderco to get it repaired under warranty. :rolleyes: :)

I'm sure they will take care of it. Still, you'll be out of the knife for a couple of weeks. :(

Jack
Fancier

Post by Fancier »

Getting the knife through customs might be a problem. "Buy American" works fine for Americans, but sometimes not so well for others.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Looks like the polymer failed.

I feel your loss. The Manix2 is my favorite EDC. I do wish I had a 154CM saber-grind like you.

I hope customs doesn't create too much of a problem getting the knife back to the mothership where, I have no doubt, it will get fixed.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Thats terrible :( Good luck with it. I hope i will never have the lock fall out like that on my manixes.
I was wondering. How long do you have this one in use? :)
jylong_away

Post by jylong_away »

I had a similar thing happen to mine a few years ago, but it was just the stem that broke. Back then, importing knives into Aus was tenuous at best, and now the Manix 2 is specifically on the 'not allowed to import' list. Go figure. Anyway, I explained my situation to Charlynn at customer service back then, and she was kind enough to send out the polymer lock part in question. Maybe give that a try?
_centurio_

Post by _centurio_ »

Ouch that hurts. I don't like the Ball Bearing lock. I own 3 Manix and I don't feel safe while using them because the steel ball touches only a tiny bit of the blade on the top. It should lock on the whole surface of the spine...

BR Oliver
Donut

Post by Donut »

I had a pivot screw stripped out, I was going to try to take it apart to get at the pivot/screw to try to get it apart. I figured out that if one of your pivot screws is stuck, you can't take the knife apart without breaking the cage. =\

If anyone sees a line on a really bad condition Manix 2 with a broken blade or something for cheap, please let me know!
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I wish Spyderco would just sell parts. Some things aren't worth the time and shipping round trip. That cage isn't in that category but clips, screws, etc are.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

zhyla wrote:I wish Spyderco would just sell parts. Some things aren't worth the time and shipping round trip. That cage isn't in that category but clips, screws, etc are.
You can definitely call them and buy a spare clip/screws, at least they allowed me to. However, if you're claiming something under warranty, you will have to send it to them (generally).
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I wouldn't be upset of they machined this piece out of aluminum or Ti, even if it increased weight and cost. I've only seen a couple of these failures over the years and they were all of the original 154CM version so they may have changed the polymer to something tougher. It isn't something I'm concerned about, if it happens it happens and I'm sure they'll take care of it, but for the overseas people it can be a real PITA. I would prefer some kind of alloy piece instead of polymer mostly for aesthetics, like the Sage 3 bolt lock button for example.
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

If warranty isn't an option, and it isn't trivial at all outside the US, however you might be able to fix the cage, there are many ultrahigh strength epoxies. The other thing is to trade with someone in the US who can easily get it fixed under warranty.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Shipping isn't all that bad depending, I have shipped knives all over the world and from what I have experienced it pretty much maxxes out under $30 US for a box that a knife that size would fit into.

But then that's almost half what the knife is worth.

It's under $25 US to ship to Belgium per the USPS Website.
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

Shipping costs are not the issue, not all countries have the same knife laws.

Most of the knives Spyderco sells can be seized under Canadian laws due to poorly worded laws regarding opening. Even if this isn't the case you can be taxed again for a knife you already bought, the knife can be seized and held unless there is proof of origin, and the list goes on.

If you pay $25 to return the knife, then you have to drive to the impound as it won't be delivered to pay brokerage fees + taxes and imports charges you can be out $75 - $100. This plus the risk of actually losing it to seizure makes the warranty not practical.

If it gets challenged on proof of origin or materials you have to obtain documents to show where it was made, what was used to make it, and so on. This all takes time/money and again makes the warranty not really a trivial option.

This is why when you can, buy from a local dealer. Yes you will pay more than the severe US discount shops, but the local dealer can offer a warranty and then you just return it to them and they have to deal with all of that nonsense in the above. Or you can just roll your dice on the return and hope you don't get hit with any charges or have the knife seized.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Cliff Stamp wrote:Shipping costs are not the issue, not all countries have the same knife laws.

Most of the knives Spyderco sells can be seized under Canadian laws due to poorly worded laws regarding opening. Even if this isn't the case you can be taxed again for a knife you already bought, the knife can be seized and held unless there is proof of origin, and the list goes on.

If you pay $25 to return the knife, then you have to drive to the impound as it won't be delivered to pay brokerage fees + taxes and imports charges you can be out $75 - $100. This plus the risk of actually losing it to seizure makes the warranty not practical.

If it gets challenged on proof of origin or materials you have to obtain documents to show where it was made, what was used to make it, and so on. This all takes time/money and again makes the warranty not really a trivial option.

This is why when you can, buy from a local dealer. Yes you will pay more than the severe US discount shops, but the local dealer can offer a warranty and then you just return it to them and they have to deal with all of that nonsense in the above. Or you can just roll your dice on the return and hope you don't get hit with any charges or have the knife seized.

Customs can always be a problem, usually the people will tell me how to word the description or what to put on the customs form to have a better chance of not having an issue on their end.

Haven't had any issues yet personally so I dunno, shipped a lot of stuff to Canada over the years too.

But yeah it would usually be better to buy locally.
suv44

Post by suv44 »

I live in Canada, and I ordered a Spyderco knife from a reputable dealer in the USA. I had no problems with customs.
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

So let me get this straight... They fit Manix knives with springs whose strength rivals that of the springs in my car's suspension, ostensibly for "safety". Then they wrap it all up in a flimsy plastic cage.
adancingmonkey

Post by adancingmonkey »

suv44 wrote:I live in Canada, and I ordered a Spyderco knife from a reputable dealer in the USA. I had no problems with customs.
Customs held up the Dice I ordered. They held it for two months to confirm that it could not be converted into an automatic or gravity knife. That being said, I wouldn't hesitate to buy any knife from the USA so long as it isn't assisted opening.
Current favorite: Manix 2 with carbon fiber scales and cru-ware.