I really like using clips but...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jackknifeh

I really like using clips but...

Post by jackknifeh »

I caught my clip on the Sage4 on something long ago. Instead of bending the wire clip, the clip rotated under the screw head. This pressure cracked the wood. The knife still looked good but the clip couldn't be used for carry. On other random (not many) times I've pulled a knife out of my pocket when getting something else out. I thought I lost my Michael Walker at Winn Dixie and searched the store and asked if anyone had turned in a pocket knife they found on the floor. When I got home I found it. I didn't have it with me at all but thought I did. One or two times I pulled it out accidentally and heard it hit the floor. Once on carpet I didn't hear it and found it later before I knew it was gone.

Today I was working and had a small tool pouch that clips on my belt. There is a pouch on the side that is against my leg for some reason. When I removed the pouch it grabbed the clip on my Chaparral3 and pulled it out of my pocket without me knowing it. A while later I went to grab the knife and it wasn't there. :eek: :eek: :eek: If I like clips I wonder how many successful grabs of the knife makes the risk of loosing it justifiable? I believe the risk of loosing a knife you love a lot or costs a lot of money once is not worth all the good times of getting the knife from a clipped position.

Before I found it I had already looked in the car, yard and anywhere I could remember being today. I was pretty worried I had lost it away from home. I can't buy Chaparral3's every day you know. More than one every week is too many. :D I'm going to remove the clip on the Chap3 and carry it in my right back pocket. I seldom carry anything in that pocket that would scratch the knife up a lot. OTOH, the Chap3 is a user so some scratches are expected.

So far I haven't lost a knife forever because of clipped carry. But it seems like it's just a matter of time until I do.
Blerv

Re: I really like using clips but...

Post by Blerv »

Sorry about the cracked scale :(.

I rarely snag the clip mainly because I walk like I have a hula hoop on these days. With my light in the other pocket it's especially goofy.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I think over the last three years I've had a knife get snagged out of my pocket three times, which is pretty good. I have developed some habits that mitigate the risks of carrying my knives clipped to my pocket.

1. Like Blerv said, I act like I have a hoop around my waist meaning I make a point not to bang into things.
2. I don't carry anything in my pockets that already carry a knife. This limits me going in and out all the time to dig stuff out.

Good luck!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

jackknifeh wrote:I caught my clip on the Sage4 on something long ago. Instead of bending the wire clip, the clip rotated under the screw head. This pressure cracked the wood. The knife still looked good but the clip couldn't be used for carry. On other random (not many) times I've pulled a knife out of my pocket when getting something else out. I thought I lost my Michael Walker at Winn Dixie and searched the store and asked if anyone had turned in a pocket knife they found on the floor. When I got home I found it. I didn't have it with me at all but thought I did. One or two times I pulled it out accidentally and heard it hit the floor. Once on carpet I didn't hear it and found it later before I knew it was gone.

Today I was working and had a small tool pouch that clips on my belt. There is a pouch on the side that is against my leg for some reason. When I removed the pouch it grabbed the clip on my Chaparral3 and pulled it out of my pocket without me knowing it. A while later I went to grab the knife and it wasn't there. :eek: :eek: :eek: If I like clips I wonder how many successful grabs of the knife makes the risk of loosing it justifiable? I believe the risk of loosing a knife you love a lot or costs a lot of money once is not worth all the good times of getting the knife from a clipped position.

Before I found it I had already looked in the car, yard and anywhere I could remember being today. I was pretty worried I had lost it away from home. I can't buy Chaparral3's every day you know. More than one every week is too many. :D I'm going to remove the clip on the Chap3 and carry it in my right back pocket. I seldom carry anything in that pocket that would scratch the knife up a lot. OTOH, the Chap3 is a user so some scratches are expected.

So far I haven't lost a knife forever because of clipped carry. But it seems like it's just a matter of time until I do.
Hmm, I'm a bit dubious about the back pocket carry idea. I always feel like front pocket is much more secure for small valuable items.
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

+1 on the hula hoop, I have started to walked more carefully and not cut corners so sharp. As I haven't had them snagged out of my pocket..just had the clips bent beyond repair but the knife somehow stayed in pocket both times it's happened to me. Just kind of rested there with my pocket as a hanger as there was at least an inch between the scale and clip. Once with my dragonfly and once with an XM-18... That one really scared me lol :eek:
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I find, with careful planning, and a consistent routine, everything can have its place, and there will be few surprises.

My right front pocket only ever holds two things, a clipped knife and a cell phone. Left front pocket holds keys and a clipped flashlight. It's second nature now to safely reach past the knife/flashlight in those pockets. I also always wear untucked shirts that cover my pocket clips, and am careful to avoid brushing past things. In the last 10 years, there's only one place I've ever snagged a clip... sitting on my living room couch with a knife clipped in my back pocket (I used to occasionally clip a Military back there, and it would snag in the couch fabric every time, so I don't clip anything in my back pockets anymore).
:bug-red-white
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

The hula hoop analogy is a good one. I've been mindful about not rubbing against things from day one. I guess my dad really pushed that rule hard. Heck, I rarely have scuffed clips even on knives I've EDCd for months!
Mallus

Post by Mallus »

Clip is a brilliant innovation, yet, like everything, it too has down sides. I've lost one Squeak already, and by the way my current one keeps on jumping out of my pocket, I'm pretty certain the first went the same way: I bicycle to work and the movement of the leg seems to squeeze stuff out of the fifth pocket, where I like to keep small knives of Squeak's size. I've also lost my Schempp Khukuri and until it's proven otherwise, I suspect it too has fallen out of my pocket. My paramilitary I've dropped many times but since it's so big, I've heard it drop. The Khukuri could have fallen on something soft (or not fallen at all). Some knives seem to be less prone for falling, my SB Caly 3 has rather good grip even if wire clips squeeze less (?) than the more substantial designs. Altogether, the easy access / useability of a clipped knife easily compensates for a few lost specimens. :)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

jackknifeh wrote:So far I haven't lost a knife forever because of clipped carry. But it seems like it's just a matter of time until I do.
Exactly why I don't use them Jack. I've been carrying a knife in my back pocket for over 60 years now. Never lost one, never had one jump out and land on the ground, never damaged one that wasn't being used at the time, and never accidentally damaged anything with one. Never felt the need to do quick draw with a knife, and have had enough pen clips snag and send the pen flying when I took off a sweater or jacket to figure knife clips are just accidents waiting to happen.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I drive a forklift at work quite a bit and I have had the seatbelt catch on it when jumping on and off. Other than that I echo what others have said about just changing your habits a bit. I have always been cautious of my clips when in my front pocket because I work on cars a lot. Belt buckles and pocket knives are bad for paint jobs. Same thing applies to wooden furniture. I just try to avoid bumping into things as a practice. Not so much to protect the knife, flashlight or belt buckle but to protect the thing being bumped into.

I haven't ever really had a problem pulling it out while trying to fish around it to get something else out of my pocket.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ForrestChump

Post by ForrestChump »

@ Surfringo - FP all the way.
The Official, Unofficial Gayle Bradley Picture Thread!

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65859" target="_blank
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

I bought a new E46 BMW M3.....Second day I was getting in and nailed the steering wheel with the clip...Pulled a strip of leather off..It cost me around $1800 to fix......Now every knife I carry has radar linked to my brain.....
sok

Post by sok »

Unless I am in an environment that requires me to be discreet, it is right back pocket carry all the way.

For most of my life, I carried nothing in my rbp and then around ten years ago, I slipped a Blur back there and haven't looked back.

That is why I became so attracted to Spyderco. A thin, flat knife carries so good back there. Shoot, a Military rides comfy.

Weight and thickness is more of an issue than knife length when you back pocket carry, and since I had never used that pocket before, there was no penalty to carry something larger.

As far as losing one while clipped to my pocket, that has never happened. I probably lose a knife on average about every five years. I had been on a good ten year run without losing one until a couple of months ago.

I used to think it was just a good opportunity to get a new knife when I would lose one. Now it is painful.

Oh well, I just look at it as the price you pay if you carry and use a knife.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I do very much like the military in right rear pocket (if I'm wearing jeans). I like it clipped there though.
sok

Post by sok »

Yes, almost all my back pocket carry is using the pocket clip. That is unless I need to drop it out of sight.

My Caly 3.5, Blur, Pacific Salt and Military carry great clipped inside my rbp. It may not be the most socially acceptable way to carry a knife but it is the most logical. IMO
Buendia518

Post by Buendia518 »

Be careful to remove the unclipped knife before disrobing!
Bathroom tiles have damaged a few of my knives that flew out of a pocket, unclipped of course.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I do two things that have helped me a lot in this area,

1) I only carry essentials in the pocket I carry my knife in, so I only stick my hand in that pocket ooccasionally.

2) this is the most significant one, I pay attention to the pants I buy and won't wear anything that has pockets so small I can't get my hand in past my knife without pulling the knife out with my hand.