Spyderco Photo of the Week Contest!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JSumm

Re: Spyderco Photo of the Week Contest!

Post by JSumm »

SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:34 pm
JSumm wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:50 pm
GB2
Da..it man -everywhere I turn there’s a GB2 staring me in the eye…I even looked at YouTube videos on it last week and everyone had great things to say about the ergos/grind/etc…in due time I guess 🤷‍♂️
Do it. Do it. I will say, I opened up the detent hole a bit to strengthen the detent. And I grinded down the liner to allow easier access to the lock (polished it up looks factory). Those 2 things plus some Micarta made this more my knife. It is my favorite Spyderco blade. And one of my top favorite models.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

I definitely love the blade shape/grind…it just looks like a workhorse…I did the same to detent on Caribbean-makes a world of difference
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:13 pm
apollo wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:02 am
Congratulations Ladybug! And you aswel cycletroll!

And Salty I appreciate the thought and the energy you spend in trying to get more attention to this thread. But this friendly competition has always had its ups and downs , we have a few weekly members like yourself but most are casual members that do not really go out to take pictures and just share one if they made one. I must admit we seem to have lost many members over the years that were here weekly but i fear it has more to do with the state of the forum then it has with this thread itself.
I find the forum personally less alive then before i took my long break. And i do not know what exactly happend here that chased many of the original picture fans away but i can name almost 10 out of the top of my head that vanished that were here every week without fail with a new piece of spydie art.
But making it a paid contest will in my eyes chase away more then you will gain.
Even myself as i have limited funds for my hobby thx to my eco friendly government with there crazy ideas would need to drop out if that would be decided and as Spydies go more expensive every year i am sure i am not the only one that wants to keep it free and for fun.
Offcoarse you could always ask Sal if he doesn’t want to give a factory second away every week…
Well said and I know Salty your heart is in the right place . We all do this to have fun and push each other and share . I’m afraid if it went to another level it would possibly be accusations of bias towards someone winning or judging . The less drama the better and good for everybody participating. Now if you want me to be the treasurer of silliness I am all in for donations . Apollo is keeping my wallet empty ! :zany Dan
Fun it is…and I crown thee treasurer of silliness…Apollo/ladybug/you/Jsumm-I can keep going as to the reason my wallet is empty🥲..now let’s see that pic you been working on buddy Dan 🤣
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageNew suit and tie today , Shaman ,Ripps green burlap, Leather feather clip . Thanks Jeff , Preston , and Rick for your help ! Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i kind of wish this thread would become the place where the forum calendar photos were chosen from. it would increase the competition and participation, while still allowing it to be fun and have the hope of an eventual prize. it would also allow for multiple submissions throughout the year, so you could take creative risks for some and play it safer for others. it might make it harder to judge, but the end result would be more accurate to the name "forum calendar" because people would be present more and participating in more than just a contest thread.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:11 pm
ImageNew suit and tie today , Shaman ,Ripps green burlap, Leather feather clip . Thanks Jeff , Preston , and Rick for your help ! Dan
Looking good Dan!
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:16 pm
i kind of wish this thread would become the place where the forum calendar photos were chosen from. it would increase the competition and participation, while still allowing it to be fun and have the hope of an eventual prize. it would also allow for multiple submissions throughout the year, so you could take creative risks for some and play it safer for others. it might make it harder to judge, but the end result would be more accurate to the name "forum calendar" because people would be present more and participating in more than just a contest thread.
Now that’s a good 💡👊
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wow…nice suit and tie…I shoulda kept my 🤫…at this rate I’ll have no retirement funds🤪
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Finally got it together . Clip was late , lost a washer , Preston to the rescue, photos and txting . Whew ! Doing these mods are addicting and finally get the huge satisfaction doing a mod and calling it mine . Dan
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:43 pm
Finally got it together . Clip was late , lost a washer , Preston to the rescue, photos and txting . Whew ! Doing these mods are addicting and finally get the huge satisfaction doing a mod and calling it mine . Dan
i really like the feather clip. nice touch.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Very well done 👍🏼 and tasteful job. Yes there is something special about making something that’s in mass production truly unique and ‘yours.’

My only slight gripe is that the steel will not develop a nice patina, mind you with the stonewash finish it is quite nice!
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

ladybug93 wrote:
Ladybug this is the most wonderful idea i have read in a while on this forum. Now we only need a way to get aproval for this. Anybody here from the colorado area that drops by the Spyderco factory store ones in a while? Asking Sal in person may have a better chance of succes.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

If anyone would like to PM me I would be happy to discuss , but would rather not derail the thread . Interesting suggestion but I see a lot of obstacles . MG2
Henry David Thoreau
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

ladybug93 wrote:
I personally believe the calendar contest has to be limited to one entry per member, per year. Allowing 52 potential entries per member would get out of hand far too quickly. (I promise I would have 52 entries if that was allowed)

I can’t see how they could limit it to just the weekly winners either primarily because of the casual nepotism from the weekly judges and it would also limit the total number of entries to 104 photos.

I’d be against incentivizing this thread in any way as I believe it would spoil the fun of the thread to begin with.
-Nick :bug-red
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:08 am
ladybug93 wrote:
I personally believe the calendar contest has to be limited to one entry per member, per year. Allowing 52 potential entries per member would get out of hand far too quickly. (I promise I would have 52 entries if that was allowed)

I can’t see how they could limit it to just the weekly winners either primarily because of the casual nepotism from the weekly judges and it would also limit the total number of entries to 104 photos.

I’d be against incentivizing this thread in any way as I believe it would spoil the fun of the thread to begin with.
^^^This!^^^
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Mushroom wrote:
ladybug93 wrote:

I also totally agree , it would also inhibit creativity such as other trademarks prohibited in contest . The volume would be overwhelming for Spyderco to filter . I really think the contest should stay separate from the calendar contest . The weekly contest is a great primer to gauge a shot one might consider to enter in the calendar . I understand LB’s position, I just don’t think it would have positive results and possibly create more negative impact , which we don’t need with the calendar process . MG2
Henry David Thoreau
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Mushroom wrote:
ladybug93 wrote:

Hi Mushroom-good points…and your vocabulary is stellar 👊✌️
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:11 am
Mushroom wrote:
ladybug93 wrote:

I also totally agree , it would also inhibit creativity such as other trademarks prohibited in contest . The volume would be overwhelming for Spyderco to filter . I really think the contest should stay separate from the calendar contest . The weekly contest is a great primer to gauge a shot one might consider to enter in the calendar . I understand LB’s position, I just don’t think it would have positive results and possibly create more negative impact , which we don’t need with the calendar process . MG2
Hi Dan- well said (such a great neutral moderating figure you are)…you should run for office 🤣…you remind me of my father or Atticus Finch sometimes (a calming voice w/a definite presence)…👊
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i get what you guys are saying. i don't disagree. i would like the ability to submit at least two pictures though because i'd like to take more risk in my submission. i just think it would make this thread better and the calendar better if it were done this way. it would take significantly more effort to stay on top of images here from week to week to keep them in mind for the calendar though.
current collection:
spyderco steels:
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:44 am
i get what you guys are saying. i don't disagree. i would like the ability to submit at least two pictures though because i'd like to take more risk in my submission. i just think it would make this thread better and the calendar better if it were done this way. it would take significantly more effort to stay on top of images here from week to week to keep them in mind for the calendar though.
Another great point,but I’m done giving my opinion cause I don’t wanna stir the hornets nest anymore…and I can’t stand a fence-straddler which I feel like right now 🤷‍♂️