Spyderco Photo of the Week Contest!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Enigma

Re: Spyderco Photo of the Week Contest!

Post by Enigma »

Here's my submission, there are already some great submissions this week.

i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

Nothing fancy this week. Just my new h1 dragonfly posing on a manatee vertebrae.

quickster47

Post by quickster47 »

Ladybug on Ice

Carl
Gibbs rule #9. Never go anywhere without a knife.
amar

Post by amar »

The Dogtag is one cute knife!

DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Thanks for the great new submissions everybody! Things are getting more and more interesting... and harder and harder to judge :eek:
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Thanks for making my job even harder Johnnie1801 ;) There's still plenty of time to get your entries in, all you people out there in Spydieland. The deadline runs until midnight in Hawaii :D which I believe is US Central Standard Time minus 5 hours. I would have said Guam, the western-most US territory I think, but it's well to the west of the International Date LIne and long since already Sunday there... I think :confused: Let's see, the prime meridian runs through Golden, CO, right? No, I believe it's London. Oh well, please continue to send in the entries!

Edit: spelling :o
Last edited by DougC-3 on Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Throwing my new Rubicon into the ring.

Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
DougC-3

Re: This Week's Winners -- Spyderco Photo of the Week Contes

Post by DougC-3 »

Now comes the hard part -- judgement time. I had to finally put aside my tendency to judge by technical perfection, how I think other people would judge, how pro photographers would judge, etc, and just pick the ones that grabbed me the most personally. So this will say something about me as well as the photos. It was very difficult because every one of the photos has its own type of merit and could have been selected #1.

First place goes to Rigger. I'm not usually one for arty-craftsy explanations, but this one got me. Converging highway and barbwire fence row indicating the way to a promising new dawning, Spyderco handles pointing the way, and what better way to get there than an antique Chevy convertible :)
3rdGenRigger wrote:I'll play this week...here's a shot I took this autumn.

Runner up was equally hard to choose, and in the end I chose vaisforlovers' shot because I really like the way the knife looks and it' s my kind of setting ;) The same could really be said for Goldenspydie's great seashell shot and others. Leeroy37's icebucket shot is technically very good and could be an ad shot (My wife said, there's some mystery about it.) I love the even saturation of the two main colors in jabba359's shot. Enigma's Swick3 is photographically great, maybe setting a sort of grim mood. In travvy's pic, the light, shadows on the blade, brown texture of the wood and dark background go together for a good effect. Quickster's "Ladybug on Ice" could easily be in a magazine ad or calendar and should be submitted to Spyderco next year if it hasn't already been. My wife was fond of amar's Dogtag shot and said it should be used to sell the Dogtags. BFKs shot also looks like a magazine layout. LC's pic is by far the best shot I've seen of the Rubicon, and Johnnie' Light Weight S110V Manix2 shot almost made me shift mental gears and start my judging all over again.

So Branden, I'm going to turn the judging hat over to you for now... good luck :D
vaisforlovers wrote:Image
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Congrat's Branden! You finally broke the Hegemony of the Native series :D

There were some great entries last week, well done Doug and thanks for judging :)
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Thanks for enjoying my photo. There were some superb entries and I was a little surprised to see mine chosen. And the Native had to stop winning eventually lol. I want this to be as difficult as possible for me to judge, so lets see those pics!
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
amar

Post by amar »

Congrats to the winners! I enjoyed all photos, and participating on the contest. Fantastic!
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Congrats Rigger and Vais!

I'll throw up this pic of my PM2 on the side of Arrow Mountain in Wyoming.

quickster47

Post by quickster47 »

Congratulations to 3rdGenRigger and vaisforlovers!!!

Carl
Gibbs rule #9. Never go anywhere without a knife.
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

Nothing fancy. No special lenses, software programs, etc. Just an amateur pic. Nice to be in the serrated Military club though ;) Special handshakes and such. :cool:
Attachments
Mili.jpg
Alnamvet68

Post by Alnamvet68 »

apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

By the way, I forgot to collectively thank everybody for submitting their entries for last week's contest, so THANKS EVERYBODY :D for making it a great competition! (Wow, that gargantuan looking D-fly in the entry above appears to be about to chow down on that apple and the Techno is going to make short order of the shelf fungus ;) )

Here's an entry for this week:

Mule Team 19
Leeroy37

Post by Leeroy37 »