Spyderco Photo of the Week Contest!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Aliaspostmortem

Re: Spyderco Photo of the Week Contest!

Post by Aliaspostmortem »

Congrats to Mad Mac and the runner up kosta!

My contribution this week is:

"Green Bug"

Spyderco loves nature!

/ J

#knivesandbikes
For reviews and other kniferelated stuff mostly in Swedish visit: http://knivigtvarre.blogspot.se/
Now also with reviews in English!
kosta

Post by kosta »

demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Cutting Magic
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
remnar

Post by remnar »

^Oh no, there goes Tokyo... :D
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

You folks don't make it easy. Another week of fine photography.

Mushroom levitated a big blade coming at you. Newcomer BCKurth submitted a polished image of a polished Spydie. Welcome aboard. Looking forward to more. Remnar's picture made the "bug" look real enough to make me want to check for ticks. (I know it's a spider, but it sure looks a lot like a tick.) Aliaspostmortem floated a Spydie on a... oh, wait, it's not what I thought it was. It's a heart shaped something. Kosta submitted a patriotic American themed picture. Demoncase captured lightning in a bottle. RadioactiveSpyder got creative with Godzilla. GoldenSpydie brought out the World Trade Center Spydie.

This being 9/11 Patriot's Day, I have to give the win to GoldenSpydie
with our Kazakh friend Kosta right behind by the slimmest of margins.
Thank you for reminding us to never forget.
Last edited by Mad Mac on Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
remnar

Post by remnar »

Congrats GS and Kosta! :) :spyder:
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

remnar wrote:^Oh no, there goes Tokyo... :D
Ha!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
kosta

Post by kosta »

Mad Mac wrote:You folks don't make it easy. Another week of fine photography.

This being 9/11 Patriot's Day, I have to give the win to GoldenSpydie
with our Kazakh friend Kosta right behind by the slimmest of margins.
Thank you for reminding us to never forget.
Thank you.
kosta

Post by kosta »

remnar wrote:Congrats GS and Kosta! :) :spyder:
Thank you.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Perfect choice this week :)

Congrats to the winners
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

remnar

Post by remnar »

Gettin' in early with my sprint PPT.
ImageX

Post by ImageX »

GoldenSpydie wrote:Image
§176. Respect for flag
No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.

(a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
(b) The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.
(c) The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.
(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker's desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.
(e) The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way.
(f) The flag should never be used as a covering for a ceiling.
(g) The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature.
(h) The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.
(i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.
(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.
(k) The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Point taken. Small flags such as miniature flags, in theory, merit the same respect as large flags. I too was disturbed that the flag was lying in the grass. As for the knife resting upon it, I'm guilty of the same thing, having photographed a Starmate positioned among the stars of a full size flag. In this instance, I felt that the overarching sentiment outweighed the miniature transgressions.

In the past, I have filed complaints with the state attorney general's office when I felt that a business abused the flag for commercial purposes. Driving by businesses, I have stopped and gone inside to report improper display of the flag. I take the display of our national standard seriously. Thank you, ImageX, for reminding us of proper flag etiquette.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Well, we have ourselves a little controversy.

As an Eagle Scout, I debated a while before taking this picture. I tried some other arrangements, but everything just looked too staged and fake. I decided that a simple idea of the flag, WTC, and pin with a plain, natural background was the best I could do. I think that a simple tribute to 9/11 consisting of the flag, knife, and pin perhaps justified the grass background, and I apologize if others were offended.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

No controversy here. At some point, a likeness of a flag stops being "the" flag. Toy flags made in China that cost pennies should not hold us hostage to the protocol demanded of official flags. Let the grass represent the field of honor and final resting place of the courageous passengers and crew of Flight 93.
ImageX

Post by ImageX »

I think many of us have violated flag code in some way or another. Usually it's just out of pride or to get a cool shot and normally not too big of an issue. I personally don't see an issue with laying on item on the flag for a shot but laying the flag itself directly on the ground is a pretty big no no. No offense taken for me... just a little surprised to see that. I've used the flag for shots before but it's always hanging up.
BCKurth

Post by BCKurth »

Squarehead after Frank Miller
Squarehead after Frank Miller
Spyderco Techno CTS-XHP, Squarehead CPM S30V, Dragonfly G10 VG-10, Delica 4 Wharncliffe VG-10, Urban K390, UK Penknife S110V
demoncase

Post by demoncase »