Is the Delica4 "too perfect"?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Blerv

Is the Delica4 "too perfect"?

Post by Blerv »

The title is rhetorical so don't round up an angry mob ;).

I've put aside my eccentric more "specialized" folders to carry a Superblue Delica for a couple days. There are obvious little things I would "fix" from a tad more handle to a bit more of a pointy tip. Others would add a choil, a feature I'm tiring of but totally understand the preference.

Basically it's light, doesn't develop hot spots, is sharp as heck, thin in the pocket, easy to draw and put away, and of course...very affordable.

For me it's like Spyderco over the years kept tweaking a spreadsheet until it's nearly perfect for the average person. It's a knife that can probably do anything you could dream up (for a white collar worker and most blue collars). One that along with a Stretch could pragmatically make my others obsolete.

Those other knives have highs and lows. They have more draw for me simply on a quirky level. IMHO, knives like the Delica set one **** of a standard for what a modern folding knife should be. I'll always have one in my collection and will shop for one when I need to gift a non-knife person a quintessential cutting tool. I just doubt it will ever be my favorite.

Nine points for awesome. One point lost for being predictable :p. I wish my report cards looked like that, lol.

What do you folks think?
Last edited by Blerv on Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ankerson

Re: Is the Delica4 "too perfect"?

Post by Ankerson »

I think you bring you brought up some good points and people would be hard pressed to find normal uses that a Delica and Stretch couldn't handle.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

A superb all round edc, where you can choose from a variety of super-steels, and grind...

A humble D4 SG VG10 was my first Spyderco. I still carry it everyday as it is still "just right".
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I carry my SB delica all the time. These have been my two most carried knives over the past year and I can't find much fault with either of them. I tend to point most people towards the delica when they ask me about knives. Three of my coworkers have bought them. One ti damascus, one black and one grey. They are all very satisfied. I explained why I favor thin blades and ffgs and what makes this knife perform so well and that it is a slicer and not a hard use knife and to use it within its limitations and it will treat them well and they all now understand what makes it so great. It is a great knife for the average joe who isn't a crazy person like all of us and it is a great knife for those of us afflicted with our condition. It fits my hand very well and I love thumb ramps.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

It's hard to find a better value in a folding knife than a Delica. Endura and Stretch are right up there too.

My favorite thing about a plain Delica is that I carry it with absolutely no fear about losing or breaking it, because it's not a "fancy" knife.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

I have a Delica 4 and love it, but I find that I like a Byrd Meadowlark 2 just as much and it is even cheaper.....
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I've said it before... I could be completely satisfied with a plain VG-10 Delica 4 as the one and only folding knife I ever have.

Of course, I still very much enjoy the variety of other designs. But the Delica is really hard to beat in overall greatness. I recently carried my Super Blue Delica everyday for several weeks, and was never unsatisfied with its performance and ease of carry.
:bug-red-white
ForrestChump

Post by ForrestChump »

Yes and No. Definitely a timeless design. The VG-10 is fantastic and easy to sharpen, lightweight, less than 3" blade, decent clip, sturdy, just an all around excellent knife. I would say at the price point it is just about perfect and meets the needs of near everybody for a pocket knife. There are some changes like you said, and Im sure everyone has their own in mind, but for me the screws and various sizes. When I tightened up the clip they really didn't feel all that solid. Other than that, pretty much flawless. I like things simple and sturdy hence my below comment.

( A little off topic, but relevant.)
That said, I had one and sold it. I was coming from a Chaparral so I was completely spoiled when I received it. After about 2 months I moved into a Sage and the rest is history. Im sticking with Taichung from now on. I love made in Japan, and even more USA, but I have to say Taichung and Spydercos QC there is just unbelievable. Most of my outdoor toys are USA, but when a blade with the fit and finish of the Sage comes from Taichung, Im taking it. It's funny to watch the Youtube videos with the country boys, " Boys, I hate to say it, but this knife is awesome and I love it, but it's outta China.... Im sorry." CRACKS ME UP!
The Official, Unofficial Gayle Bradley Picture Thread!

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65859" target="_blank
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

No thing can be too perfect :)
The variety of steels used in the Delica refine it's versatile nature even more. :D

I have to get myself another Delica, I keep giving them away to folks who need a good knife :eek:

The Cento3 does work pretty well in the Delica's absence :D

Charlie
swigert

Post by swigert »

I had an endura once and it wasn't right for me. After lots of thought I think the delica might. Sometime next week I'll have a delica arriving and some Allen putman scales. Add a lynch deep carry clip and it could be a winner!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If the handle was shaped like the Harpy, I would be preaching the good word about the Delica. Unfortunately those points on the handle are spaced out perfectly for my fingers to fall right onto them when I grip it, so the ergos suck for me.

Give me this handle with a Delica blade.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Bought a Delica 4 and a Delica wave a couple months ago... I'm gonna start carrying them again :D
I grab my PM2, Endura or Police instinctively lately. Great knives, but I decided to give the mint condition ones a chance and now the Delica is up again! Was carrying the waved one for some time, but received a Manix and switched to check that one out :/
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

Maybe the most perfect knife in its price range, I EDC a lot her D-cup sister the ZDP Endura. The perfect Delica for me would be one in S110V and CF handles with a nested liner lock.
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

Evil- have you tried a G-10 Standard?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

WireEdge Roger wrote:Evil- have you tried a G-10 Standard?
No, but I've thought about buying one and reshaping the handle, which isn't as doable with FRN, and then I could swap in any of the other blades as I choose.
paladin

Post by paladin »

Hey great thread Blerv! :) :spyder:

The Delica is, for sure, a signature model & time tested...an example of CQI-- and a great testament to the purity of its original conception by how little it has truly "evolved" thru 4 generations!!!

My next Delica project is to acquire a Ti Dam Deli, do some macro work on the scales, weather them a bit, and do some filework on the lockbar...make a real attractive & functional "Sunday go-to-meeting" knife...

Thanks for the added inspiration of this thread! :spyder:
Gerard Breuker

Post by Gerard Breuker »

I like to believe there are thousands out there that did just that and if they ever lose it they will buy another.
Maybe bought a Sharpmaker at some point. Gifted some to family and friends and lived happily ever after knowing their knife needs fulfilled.

Didn't happen to me obviously. At least not with knives or sharpening equipment.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Delica is near perfect. The blade design (and that of the Manbug) is the best Spyderco makes for all around practical use. I love the fact that it does not rely upon a choil, but it does allow me to choke up on the blade if needed. Rather, it has a proper finger guard and in addition, if the knife lock fails, it is designed so that the flat blade tang up to the kick falls on the finger rather than the sharpened blade.

The only two things I would change, and these are by no means needed, would be to put a stronger lock (maybe) and a larger pivot pin like on the Caly3. But, I am perfectly happy with the Delica 4 FFG as is.

I would love to see a smaller version of this knife, or even better, a larger Manbug (Superbug) with a blade of 2.5 inches.
Barkdog

Post by Barkdog »

Great post. No knife is perfect. But out of the 19 or so "users" I've collected, the Delica is the one I've bought for other knife newbies... three times. OK, I think it IS the perfect "welcome to my addiction, don't be intimidated by knives, see how awesome this thing is? And colors!" gift knife.

(I bonded with you over 'tiring of choils.' Me too, I'm currently favoring knives like my Southard that just give more edge instead. But it's nice to have the option on my PM2 and others, choices are great!)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

When people say they like the delica because it doesn't have a choil I don't get it. The distance between the forward grip guard and the end of the ricasso/start of the blade is the size of a small choil. The Centofante 3 and 4 embrace the optimization of a choiless knife. I am not saying I would change the delica but just that it is not maximizing blade length by any means.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?