Is the Delica4 "too perfect"?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Is the Delica4 "too perfect"?

Post by Evil D »

bearfacedkiller wrote:When people say they like the delica because it doesn't have a choil I don't get it. The distance between the forward grip guard and the end of the ricasso/start of the blade is the size of a small choil. The Centofante 3 and 4 embrace the optimization of a choiless knife. I am not saying I would change the delica but just that it is not maximizing blade length by any means.
Been saying this for years. Aside from the Delica maybe being a tad bit tougher due to double liners and thicker blade stock, the Centofantes are better knives in ever way if you ask me.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

The Centofantes are overall great knives too. But I do slightly prefer the grip texture of the Delica in use, to the somewhat slick Centofante handle.

But I could be very happy with the Centofante 3 as my only knife too, and I really love the Centofante 3 and Vesuvius blade shape and grind!
:bug-red-white
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Evil D wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:When people say they like the delica because it doesn't have a choil I don't get it. The distance between the forward grip guard and the end of the ricasso/start of the blade is the size of a small choil. The Centofante 3 and 4 embrace the optimization of a choiless knife. I am not saying I would change the delica but just that it is not maximizing blade length by any means.
Been saying this for years. Aside from the Delica maybe being a tad bit tougher due to double liners and thicker blade stock, the Centofantes are better knives in ever way if you ask me.
I have a heavy bias towards ffg so for that reason alone the delica wins for me. I still carry my centofante4 all the time.

I wish the centofante was ffg or that the delica had a smaller ricasso. Nothing is perfect but they are both close.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

My only Delica is a combo edge hollow ground Delica 4. I don't like it. The blade tip is too thick. I'm sure a FFG version would float my boat better.

Nothing about the Delica/Endura really excite me. The Stretch has grown on me since I got one recently but cosmetically I don't like it much.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Simply put, it is BECAUSE it has a proper guard and not a finger choil that I prefer the design. This was the lesson Phil Wilson learned and he now puts a guard on his knives. The Spyderco version departs from his designs in that it incorporates both a guard and a finger choil. On some knives, like the Chaparral, where they are trying to maximize cutting edge and keep the handle short this makes sense. But the Delica is a normal sized knife and it has a wonderfully longer handle than blade length, which I prefer, as well, because it is more comfortable to use.
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

Doc Dan wrote:
Simply put, it is BECAUSE it has a proper guard and not a finger choil that I prefer the design. This was the lesson Phil Wilson learned and he now puts a guard on his knives. The Spyderco version departs from his designs in that it incorporates both a guard and a finger choil. On some knives, like the Chaparral, where they are trying to maximize cutting edge and keep the handle short this makes sense. But the Delica is a normal sized knife and it has a wonderfully longer handle than blade length, which I prefer, as well, because it is more comfortable to use.
^ agree w/ Doc Dan here. I like having the guard and clear delineation between handle and blade on the Delica and Endura. Choils are nice at times and while they really work on some models (love my Native5, for example) I also appreciate to have the option to not have one. I can usually go with or without day-to-day and be happy, but for some things - cleaning game in particular - I do not want the choil or the option to have my fingers near the edge. Endura is great for that. Benchmade 710, great for that. Military, I nicked my finger after it slid off the choil reaching around inside a buck's chest cavity cutting the esophagus and trachea. I don't use a Military for that anymore.

Come to think of it, I need to pick up another Delica. Let my last one in ZDP-189 go for some boneheaded reason, and right after I had put a nice edge on it with the edge pro, too.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Erase Delica and replace it with Endura and pretty much most of the good points above explain my feelings. No matter what other knife I get I can't carry it in place of the Endura. Only in addition to the Endura. The performance of the super blue steel with the cost and utility of the Endura is what I strive for in looking for knives to carry. I've had knives that cost over a thousand get bumped by my Enduras. Since 92.

About the only Enduras that are Anti Mastiff are the damascuss, or layered blades. Too much cost, too loud looking and for no improvement in performance. It's simple VG10 layered IMO. Some love it. I don't mind paying more for performance, better ergonomics, stronger, or a few other things but not for simple changes in looks that I don't care for. If it was like Deacons design with wood and real damascus with or without bolsters I could see a design I like but the current damascus doesn't do it for me.

Simple FRN, G10, or even a titan gripped design with a super steel would be about the only thing that MIGHT be an improvement over the current models.

Stretch is almost a replacement for the Endura but for the same steel and grips at similar prices the muscle memory I have with the endura which allows me to get it in use faster than autos pretty much gives the edge to the endura. They are very close. The Delica is doable but not my first or second choice.
Mallus

Post by Mallus »

I like the thin blade profile and the relative affordability of the knife. I also like the super blue blade, and the texture of the handle is very useable!

What I'd like to change, given the opportunity, would be to get rid of the point in handle (between middle and ring finger) which is a hot spot, and bring the guard closer to the cutting edge à la Centofante 3. This might also change a one minor niggle I have, namely that (to my size 9 hands) closing the knife with one hand is more cumbersome than with, say, the Stretch. I prefer to close lock backs by pressing the lock lever with my thumb and rotate the blade closed with my index finger. Wire clip wouldn't hurt either as I've found it to be less of a hot spot compared to the hour glass clip. Would it still be Delica after all these modifications?
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

The Delica 4 is a great knife for sure. The only thing I don't like about it is that the end is a bit too pointed; hurts my side when I do waistband carry. I used to be a little annoyed by how far back the backlock release was, but I'm more used to it now.
Donut

Post by Donut »

bearfacedkiller wrote:When people say they like the delica because it doesn't have a choil I don't get it.
I think it has more to do with the fact that it doesn't need a choil. Your forefinger fits on the handle. If you're doing a cut and what you're cutting misses the edge, you still land on the blade and not your finger.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx much for the comments and interest. The Delica has also benefitted from 25 years of focus from our in-house R&D and our outside R&D (you :) ).

sal
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

sal wrote:Thanx much for the comments and interest. The Delica has also benefitted from 25 years of focus from our in-house R&D and our outside R&D (you :) ).

sal
It is now nearly perfect. Any changes made would only be personal preference changes. Thanks for listening to us. I love the Delica 4. I have several and am about to buy an Endura 4.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

sal wrote:Thanx much for the comments and interest. The Delica has also benefitted from 25 years of focus from our in-house R&D and our outside R&D (you :) ).

sal
When people who don't have a knife are looking to get their first one I always suggest a delica. It really is near EDC perfection. Thanks so much. What amazes me is that it is a knife for everybody from the average joe to the knife afi.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

My Delica 4 ffg is an awesome little knife and I love the vg-10 steel. I use it as a work knife and it has never let me down. I haven't used it as a beater but I haven't babied it either. I've dropped it onto concrete without a scratch. It's not fancy or complicated but it works and that in my opinion is what makes it so good.

Sal mentioned previously that he's thinking about doing a Delica sprint with smurf blue g-10, I hope he will use HAP-40 steel with a pointy tip, anyway I will definitely do whatever it takes to get one :)
All-R-Crazy

Post by All-R-Crazy »

Johnnie1801 wrote:My Delica 4 ffg is an awesome little knife and I love the vg-10 steel. I use it as a work knife and it has never let me down. I haven't used it as a beater but I haven't babied it either. I've dropped it onto concrete without a scratch. It's not fancy or complicated but it works and that in my opinion is what makes it so good.

Sal mentioned previously that he's thinking about doing a Delica sprint with smurf blue g-10, I hope he will use HAP-40 steel with a pointy tip, anyway I will definitely do whatever it takes to get one :)
:eek:if that's true then i would be in heaven because I love my delicas and would love to have another steel choice for the model :D
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I agree. The Delica is so well balanced that it is hard to improve upon. The last big improvement was the move to FFG.
josemfuente

Post by josemfuente »

Amazing tool! Blue G-10 is a must have for me. A question for Sal, is there any chance of trying another lock type on delica? I wish I could have a serrated delica with a compression lock.

Thanks and Regards
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

josemfuente wrote:Amazing tool! Blue G-10 is a must have for me. A question for Sal, is there any chance of trying another lock type on delica? I wish I could have a serrated delica with a compression lock.

Thanks and Regards
I mentioned this knife being given a compression lock a few times in the past. It screams for one. But, I can live with the back lock and be happy.
I am impatiently WAITING (tap, tap, tap) for the blue G10 Delica! :mad: :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I would expect to see a completely new model that shares some characteristics with the Delicate before it saw a different lock unless it's an updated version of the back lock, ala Power Lock or internal stop pins like the Chap has.
bornagainprimative

Post by bornagainprimative »

I loved mine a lot! If I had never touched a para2 it would be my favourite. I just recently have my delica to my friend and he carries it daily