New Spyderco Nilakka*

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MacLaren

New Spyderco Nilakka*

Post by MacLaren »

Came in today with the mail. Ive been anxiously awaiting her arrival. And apparently for good reason, as I absolutely love this knife! I must say without a doubt that shes the smoothest opening and closing folder Ive ever had. Even better than both my Vallotton and Lum Tanto. She's just incredibly smooth. A true joy opening and closing. The knife itself is just screaming sharp out of the box. F&F are typical Taichung (A Taichung Treasure to be sure!!) Dead centered. Feels a tad bulky in the hand, but nothing to be concerned about. Blade stock I believe is 4.5MM starting and turns into a very keen tip, even more acute( keen )than the Yojimbo 2 imo. An extremely well executed folder to say the least. I'm tellin ya guys, this is one bad azz Spydie! An excellent slicer and just all-around knife. Imo, not much more to as for except maybe a slimmer handle. This is a knife that I would just love to see have an exotic steel like CPM-10V or Bohler M390 or CPM-M4. I must say, it will prolly knock the Caly 3.5 out of my pocket, and I really didn't think that would happen. These are just my observations fellas,, ymmv. Now, on to the pics. And, I apologize in advance for the pics, as they may not be that good. Its just cold here today......also, major,major props go out to Rob, at National Knife. Fantastic guy! Got my T2 and Eagle HD as well from Rob.
Last edited by MacLaren on Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacLaren

Re: New Spyderco Nilakka*

Post by MacLaren »

*Nilakka*
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

*Nilakka*
Holland

Post by Holland »

truly a stunner! Love how thin the grind is bend the edge :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Nice photos and knife. :)
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Ankerson wrote:Nice photos and knife. :)
Thanx Jim. :)

I like it a lot.....
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Holland wrote:truly a stunner! Love how thin the grind is bend the edge :D
Lol, yes sir, that she is. Its a fantastic pocket knife. :)
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

That is one sweet knife! Nicely done, man. :) I got one for Christmas abut a year or so ago and I too noticed how smooth the action was. I would love to see a M4 Nilakka! Sign me up. :) By the way, I recently read in BLADE that Joyce Laturi EDC's a Nilakka. How cool is that? :cool:
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Beautyfull i am looking at one for the last month or so. But i wonder are they still so fragile at the edge? ( i would use it for light cutting , paper , thin cardboard , plasting baggs... )
because that is the only thing holding me back for this one. :)
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Now that is an elegant looking piece, I have to stop opening your threads though MacLaren, its just too expensive trying to keep up with you... :D
WMR

Post by WMR »

I, also find it to be one of my favorites due to the F&F , FFG, and amazingly sharp S30V out of the box. I have to admit that the scales were not comfortable in my hand so I removed the clip. I never use the clips. And, I added a peice of teak wood to the end where the clip attaches. Then I made my own rounded scales out of teak wood. Now, it is sort of personalized for my hand. I don't mean to detract from any enthusiasm here. I just found the factory scale edges to be a bit sharp for me. Here is what I did to mine:
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

apollo wrote:Beautyfull i am looking at one for the last month or so. But i wonder are they still so fragile at the edge? ( i would use it for light cutting , paper , thin cardboard , plasting baggs... )
because that is the only thing holding me back for this one. :)
From what you describe, I think it'd be fine. Seriously, you need to get it..... ;)
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

SpyderNut wrote:That is one sweet knife! Nicely done, man. :) I got one for Christmas abut a year or so ago and I too noticed how smooth the action was. I would love to see a M4 Nilakka! Sign me up. :) By the way, I recently read in BLADE that Joyce Laturi EDC's a Nilakka. How cool is that? :cool:
Thank you sir :)
And yes, that is cool!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

WMR wrote:I, also find it to be one of my favorites due to the F&F , FFG, and amazingly sharp S30V out of the box. I have to admit that the scales were not comfortable in my hand so I removed the clip. I never use the clips. And, I added a peice of teak wood to the end where the clip attaches. Then I made my own rounded scales out of teak wood. Now, it is sort of personalized for my hand. I don't mean to detract from any enthusiasm here. I just found the factory scale edges to be a bit sharp for me. Here is what I did to mine:
Wow, that's gorgeous!
But yeah, that's the one little negative I mentioned was the bulkiness of the handle.
But, its just so darn smooth,sharp and nice I can live with it :)
WMR

Post by WMR »

Thank you MacLaren. I didn't mean anything negative here. The Nilakka has actually become my EDC replacing (at least temporarily) my Caly 3.5 which has been in my pocket for a few years now. If they made the Nilakka in Super Blue, it would definitely be my permanent replacement. I suppose we knife nuts always want everything perfect. Now if they just made Super Blue that stayed shiny...
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

WMR wrote:Thank you MacLaren. I didn't mean anything negative here. The Nilakka has actually become my EDC replacing (at least temporarily) my Caly 3.5 which has been in my pocket for a few years now. If they made the Nilakka in Super Blue, it would definitely be my permanent replacement. I suppose we knife nuts always want everything perfect. Now if they just made Super Blue that stayed shiny...
No way man, I knew you weren't being negative :)
But yes, its like this knife just screams either Super Blue, M4 etc....
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Very nice pics! I love my Nilakka. It's definitely unique. It was on my list for a while, but as soon as I held one at a gun show it moved right to the top. Fit & finish are amazing, and it is definitely very smooth.
:bug-red-white
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

gbelleh wrote:Very nice pics! I love my Nilakka. It's definitely unique. It was on my list for a while, but as soon as I held one at a gun show it moved right to the top. Fit & finish are amazing, and it is definitely very smooth.
Thanx man :)
Between you & Jim, that's great compliments on the pics. Lol, I can't put it down .. Just a lit of fun to play with...
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Great pics as always MacLaren. I missed out on a new one for just over a $100. I'm kinda kicking myself, but at the time, I was worried it wouldn't stand up to the variety of tasks I use my knives for. If it ever comes up again at that price, I won't hesitate.