Caly 3.5 or PM2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyder_happy

Caly 3.5 or PM2?

Post by spyder_happy »

Hello all,

I have the itch for a new knife and have narrowed my options down between two. On one hand is a Caly 3.5 in vg-10, on the other is a pm2 in s30v.
I just cannot make up my mind, the caly seems to have more usable blade length, easier for my to sharpen steel, and a wire clip. The para has a lock I love, and an adjustable pivot. Anything else anyone can chime in on that swayed you one way or the other?

Thank you all,

spyder_happy
Surfingringo

Re: Caly 3.5 or PM2?

Post by Surfingringo »

A couple of general observations...

Pm2
- more robust
- funner to play with/flick

Caly
- incredibly ergonomic handle
- carries incredibly thin

I love and carry them both but if I had to choose one to keep it would be the paramilitary. Can't go wrong wi either though.
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

Very difficult call as both are outstanding.

Can you tell us more about desired use? Or perhaps a snapshot of what you already own?

Without more info I would go PM2 as I prefer the Caly in cf and zdp.
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

Surfingringo wrote:A couple of general observations...

Pm2
- more robust

Caly

I love and carry them both but if I had to choose one to keep it would be the paramilitary. Can't go wrong wi either though.
The PM2 is the next knife on my list to acquire. Please check your inbox, Surfingringo ...
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I've had both, but still have the Caly 3.5 in VG10. Its just so ergonomic, and I love the blade shape, not to mention VG10 itself.
The only thing I would change, would be to make it a liner lock. But, that's just me.
spyder_happy

Post by spyder_happy »

Thanks for the fast replies!

My current collection of spidies is as follows:
D-fly 2 salt spyder edge
d4 ffg vg10
chapparal 1 cf cts xhp
tasman salt pe
yojimbo 2 s30v
manix 2 g10 s30v.

I would most likely be replacing the manix in my line up for edc as its so dang heavy! Duties would be cutting zip ties, cardboard of various grades, fiber friction straps, opening clamshell plastic packaging.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

HorserloverFat wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:A couple of general observations...

Pm2
- more robust

Caly

The PM2 is the next knife on my list to acquire. Please check your inbox, Surfingringo ...
Got nothing in my inbox sir.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

spyder_happy wrote:Thanks for the fast replies!

I would most likely be replacing the manix in my line up for edc as its so dang heavy! Duties would be cutting zip ties, cardboard of various grades, fiber friction straps, opening clamshell plastic packaging.
Based on that I would go for the PM2, it'll handle everything you throw at it :)
WMR

Post by WMR »

I have to vote for the Caly 3.5. It too will handle everything you plan to do. And it will probably feel better in your hand and feel light in your pocket. Manix = 6.1 oz. PM2 = 3.9 oz. Caly 3.5 = 3.1 oz.
Last edited by WMR on Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'll take a Stretch over either, but I do own a Caly 3.5 and it's a great slicer with good ergos, a blade of reasonable thickness, minimal closed length for a 3.5" blade and it's totally hand neutral. The PM2, to me, is a collection of negatives. Too thick a blade, housed in too bulky a handle, with a wrong handed lock, and an oversize lanyard hole.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

The Deacon wrote:I'll take a Stretch over either, but I do own a Caly 3.5 and it's a great slicer with good ergos, a blade of reasonable thickness, minimal closed length for a 3.5" blade and it's totally hand neutral. The PM2, to me, is a collection of negatives. Too thick a blade, housed in too bulky a handle, with a wrong handed lock, and an oversize lanyard hole.
Well it depends on the user. I'm not a fan of the PM2 either. But the Stretch ain't much better to me.

After sending in my endura, I only had the Stretch as full size folder so it was seeing 100% pocket time and I tried hard loving it. Yeah I know I have a small number of knives. But even after 5 month exclusive carry it still feel like wrong to me. There's no way I can get a confortable hold on it.

The main reason I keep my Stretch is the Superblue and blade shape. Yup the blade is great and I love that slight belly, it's just perfect. But the handle feels wrong in my hand as the size is too small and the ergo makes my finger feel squeezed in between the guard. Powergrip feels wrong too even if blade size would make it perfect for that task.

I'd exchange it for a SB endura anyday... If anyone prefer the stretch ergo over the endura I'm in for an exchange ;)

Not saying the Stretch is a bad knife anyday, but it simply doesn't fit my hand. Now that I have other choice in my lineup (got back my Endura and bought a K2) it doesn't see any pocket time at all.
If it's not polished, call it a saw, not an edge!
djjinksy

Post by djjinksy »

I have a Caly 3.5 ZDP on my wish list, but my primary EDC is an S30V PM2. Since I have no experience (yet) with the Caly, I have to throw my hat into the PM2 ring. Your mileage may vary, and obviously there are some people who don't like it, but I really can't think of anything bad to say about it. It is one of Spyderco's most popular models, and for good reason. If you can find the color combo you want in-stock, get it while the gettin's good!
-Steve
Embassy, Para2, Delica 4 SS, Dragonfly SS/ZDP/Superblue/H1, Native 5 G10, Manix 2 G10, Rescue 79, Swick3, Mule19
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

Just personal preference, but I'd take any Caly 3.5 over any Paramilitary 2 anytime.
Comparison pics:

dgebler

Post by dgebler »

Arggh...I have been migrating to more expensive knives lately and been carrying the slysz bowie and techno almost exclusively since it came out, but these threads just remind me how great the core lineup of spyderco's are. For me I would give the nod to the caly 3.5. Hard to beat that package of blade shape, slicing ability, weight, f+f all around awesome knife.

The PM2 is no slouch either, I do love playing with the compression lock, but the detent is not quite as strong as the back lock or even some of the frame locks. I sort of stopped carrying mine after mine popped open in my pocket (luckily just lost a pair of pants to this) but it happened to a buddy who got a mean cut. I know if carried tip up against the pocket this is rare, but just my two cents. I have enough awesome spydies that this made it easy for me to slip another blade in my pocket for now. (those pictures sure do look nice though)

Now where is my Caly 3.5, think its time to switch up my EDC for a while.
spyder_happy

Post by spyder_happy »

Wow thanks for the input guys!

MarcusH, those pictures sure put things in perspective for me, I think the Caly 3.5 will be the first buy.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Caly 3.5 10,000 to 1
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I do own both and have carried both the Para 1 and 2 as well as many version of the Caly. In my experience, nothing in the cutlery industry comes close to the Caly 3 or 3.5
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
762cal

Post by 762cal »

I own PM2 and Caly3 (not the 3,5) and I like the caly most. It just feels so great in my hands... the Caly3,5 is on my next purchase.

but for your intended use I think PM2 would be better. I personally would get both.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Laethageal wrote:
The Deacon wrote:I'll take a Stretch over either, but I do own a Caly 3.5 and it's a great slicer with good ergos, a blade of reasonable thickness, minimal closed length for a 3.5" blade and it's totally hand neutral. The PM2, to me, is a collection of negatives. Too thick a blade, housed in too bulky a handle, with a wrong handed lock, and an oversize lanyard hole.
Well it depends on the user. I'm not a fan of the PM2 either. But the Stretch ain't much better to me.
No argument there. Not only do tastes differ, but hands differ. The Stretch fits me like a glove, but I have relatively small hands with fairly long fingers. I probably should mention that anytime I post in a thread like this, because I can certainly appreciate that folks with larger hands would find models like the Endura and Police that features less structured handles more to their liking.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

RanCoWeAla wrote:Caly 3.5 10,000 to 1
Lol, yeah but you would recommend the Caly to a starving man over a loaf of bread! :rolleyes: :D