Chubby vs. Techno

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RamZar

Chubby vs. Techno

Post by RamZar »

You can get a better grip on the Chubby but Techno has the jimping.

Chubby has a blade thickness of 0.172" vs. 0.173" on the Techno but as you can see Chubby tapers way down.

Chubby weighs 4.04 ounces vs. 3.52 ounces on Techno.

Blade length is 2.33" for Chubby vs. 2.56" for Techno.

Width closed is 1.612" for Chubby vs. 1.391" for Techno.

Handle thickness is 0.451" for Chubby vs. 0.454" for Techno.

Last edited by RamZar on Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
paladin

Re: Chubby vs. Techno

Post by paladin »

Great photos...THANK YOU! :)

What cutting tasks do you guys feel the Chubby will excel at? :spyder:
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

The chubby looks like a mean little blade! I don't mind the clip like others seem to, the width of it fits the rest of the design. My only concern is how it comes to a point like the southards clip which is way to pointy
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Liquid Cobra wrote:I don't mind the clip like others seem to, the width of it fits the rest of the design. My only concern is how it comes to a point like the southards clip which is way to pointy
Although it looks pointy the end of the Chubby clip is more rounded/smoother and is much wider than the Southard.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Wow, I had no idea these were so heavy. I assumed titanium = light.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

zhyla wrote:Wow, I had no idea these were so heavy. I assumed titanium = light.
It is but consider the thickness of both the titanium liners and blade steel.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

zhyla wrote:Wow, I had no idea these were so heavy. I assumed titanium = light.
As Ramzar mentioned it's the thickness of materials. Ti is almost as light as aluminum so if either model used steel liners of the same dimensions it would be renamed the "chunky".
remnar

Post by remnar »

Those pictures make me think that I really need a Techno! :D

Not too keen on the Chubby. :eek:
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

remnar wrote:Those pictures make me think that I really need a Techno! :D

Not too keen on the Chubby. :eek:
Hah, I was thinking the same thing! Not that I think the Chubby is a bad design, just between the two I'm much more drawn to the Techno for a variety of reasons. And yes, one is the clip. Nice neat little wire vs a metal whale fin. That thing is just alarmingly huge.

Thank you RamZar for providing this detailed comparison!
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

Even thought it might be a great knife, be well constructed, made of great materials, have many curves... When the thing starts to split instead of cut...

Can't take myself out the comparison to women and how the sexy one will win over ;) This time, sexy one even has functionnality advantage!

Too much is simply too much.
If it's not polished, call it a saw, not an edge!
Vermithrax Pejorative

Post by Vermithrax Pejorative »

The Techno looks better, but I think the Chubby would be more useful in the long run. The thinness of the blade toward the tip and the generous belly seem very practical to me. Hmmm, tough choice.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I'll take the Techno every time. A blade almost as wide as it is long that's just one big belly is not at all desirable to me. Then add that big crazy clip and it's all over for me. But I'm sure it's extremely well made for those who enjoy this design.
:bug-red-white
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

My Chubby is nowhere near as smooth as my Techno in opening. Hopefully, it will start to smooth out. We shall see.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Like the Chubby or not, it is true to the designer's custom and this is a great collabo. I like the Techno better in everyway except not being ambidextrous.
dwong

Post by dwong »

Love the Chubby unique look.
Both remind of my C19.
Blunt Sorcerer

Post by Blunt Sorcerer »

How usefull is the jimping on the techno?
Not into that chubbeh though.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Blunt Sorcerer wrote:How usefull is the jimping on the techno?
Not into that chubbeh though.
Practical, useful and not aggressive.
dgebler

Post by dgebler »

Is it just me, or does the grind look a little wonky especially on the presentation side. Not sure if this is an illusion, but where the hollow grind stops and meets the swedge grind the line looks a little awkward to me. Cool little knife though, just not for me, ill stick with my techno. If I ever did pick one up the first thing to go would be the awful clip.

Just my opinion, and I know this probably comes from the collab designers but Sal can you put more leverage on these guys to simplify the clips or use some of the great, simple spydie clips. Marcin uses the wire clip which is great, but the chubby, rubicon, southard are all pretty silly looking. I saw another post somewhere stating the rubicon clip looks like it came from Kershaw's parts bin in the 90's which I got a good laugh out of.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

+1 for the Techno ;)

I love the Techno and it's an LBK that can rule them all.
The chubby isn't really my cup of tea...
Switchback

Post by Switchback »

I like the looks of the Chubby but I'm so happy with my Techno that I don't even want anything else.