Smallest tip down knife with a lanyard hole?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Smallest tip down knife with a lanyard hole?

Post by Evil D »

I got this idea to replace my carabiner on my keys with a knife I can clip in my back pocket and let my keys hang from the lanyard hole. The Dragonfly would be ideal but it doesn't offer tip down carry. I can't think of anything else in this size that has a 4 way clip and a lanyard hole. Any ideas?
bearfacedkiller

Re: Smallest tip down knife with a lanyard hole?

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Evil D wrote:I got this idea to replace my carabiner on my keys with a knife I can clip in my back pocket and let my keys hang from the lanyard hole. The Dragonfly would be ideal but it doesn't offer tip down carry. I can't think of anything else in this size that has a 4 way clip and a lanyard hole. Any ideas?
I believe the balance is four way plus it has the stronger hourglass clip. Cricket may work also if I understand you right. You want to use a knife as a dangler? I would prefer an hourglass clip to a wire clip for bearing the weight of keys.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

The spin is tip down hourglass clip with a lanyard hole.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

BY10SBK2 ?
If it's not polished, call it a saw, not an edge!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yeah I spoke too soon, the Spin and Ambitious are both around the size I'm looking for and have tip down carry. I would really prefer the deepest carry possible, but I agree I'm not sure about the clip strength of a wire clip for this application.
bearfacedkiller

I do not own a spin but the ambitious is quite a bit bigger than the balance or cricket which I do own.
-Darby
bearfacedkiller

I do like the concept but I dangle a SAK or Wave in my backpocket already so my keys are staying on a front belt loop. Great idea!
-Darby
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

There's also the Cricket...turning out to be a lot more options than I thought. So far I'm leaving heavily towards a stainless Cricket.
bearfacedkiller

I am a big cricket fan. It is crazy thin and the blade shape is super functional for opening packaging and trimming threads. The tip is so fine, almost surgical. Pics in a minute.
-Darby
bearfacedkiller

This is my friends Ambitious that I brought home to sharpen for him as well as my CF Balance and my Nishijin Cricket. The stainless balance has 2mm stock and thin scales while the CF Balance has 2.5mm stock and much thicker scales so take that into account. I am sure the Stainless Balance is much thinner than mine. These are my two favorite LBKs.

One more pic to compare my Balance and Cricket.

-Darby
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

How about a Calypso Jr.?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I've used a Balance and Cricket as a suspension clip. Both work great. The Spin works too and is comparable.

I also just bought a Corter Leather bottleopener that's designed to be worn around a belt loop. I hang it by the pocket seam and it works pretty well.
Donut

Post by Donut »

The cliptool could be an option. They are pretty small, ladybug sized with a clip. But... it's tip up and the lanyard hole is on the top.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I am a big cricket fan.
Careful what you say! Next you'll be drinking warm beer and cheering the Queen :D :D
Drahkis

Post by Drahkis »

I really like the stainless balance for your idea, I would go with that one.
JLS

Post by JLS »

The Cricket works nicely in this role. I've been carrying keys like this for about 3 years. I like it better than the CF Balance that I tried for a while due to being so thing, but never tried a SS Balance to see how that was. The Cricket is about the best thing going for blister packs, so I never got around to a SS Balance.
IMG_5223.JPG
bearfacedkiller

JLS wrote: The Cricket is about the best thing going for blister packs,
That's the truth!
-Darby
bluedog

Post by bluedog »

How bout using any knife (even if no lanyard hole) with 4-way pocket clip and installing one of these for your key ring at the end opposite the clip?
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... -Pen-Knife
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bluedog wrote:How bout using any knife (even if no lanyard hole) with 4-way pocket clip and installing one of these for your key ring at the end opposite the clip?
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... -Pen-Knife

That's an interesting idea, but when I had this idea I was planning on clipping the knife to my belt or back pocket in a similar way that you'd clip a carabiner to your belt loop, so I would need that loop/ lanyard tube to be at the bottom of the knife when clipped to my belt. That means for a wire clip "lanyard loop" like that it would need to be at the bottom of the handle, but the problem with that is, I don't know of any wire clip knives with 4 way clip option.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

How about one of the old snap-it models?
:bug-red-white