Rubicon has dropped!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pinetreebbs

Re: Rubicon has dropped!!

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Boom!!! Boom!!!

Two craters in the knife budget.

I ordered both from Howes Knife Shop this evening.
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

The only thing keeping my from becoming more excited about the Rubicon is the blade shape. I don't mind recurves, but I am far less crazy about hollow grinds and I think the swedge adds an unnecessarily "aggressive" look.

Though, if more videos of this knife start popping up, once the knives start arriving, I might just change my mind. And who know what will happen once my local knife store gets one in stock :)

UPDATE: I just rewatched SpyderCollector's video of the Rubicon, and I like the look of the blade more than I remember liking it.
Last edited by Able Dog on Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I like the blade shape, and overall look of the Rubicon. S30V is a better steel than I'll ever need. But I'm not a fan of the clip. I'll likely get one, but probably not right away. I am looking forward to seeing some pics.

(I definitely won't be getting a Chubby though)
:bug-red-white
Trevitrace

Post by Trevitrace »

Is the pivot screw the standard T8/10? Can't tell from the pictures but it kind of looks like some crazy spanner or Strider or some other propriety design. Thanks to those in the know.

Adam
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

trevitace wrote:Is the pivot screw the standard T8/10? Can't tell from the pictures but it kind of looks like some crazy spanner or Strider or some other propriety design. Thanks to those in the know.

Adam
The screw uses standard mini-Torx, you should be able to make out the slot in the very center. The "tri-wing" looking bit is just a non standard screw shape. I consider this a very excellent touch to the Rubicon. Not only is there a nice G10 pivot accent, the pivot screw itself is more in line with midtechs and customs than an off-the-shelf type screw.

You should be able to see it clearly here:
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

Yup. i gotta have that.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Anyone get one yet? I'm impatiently waiting for some pics in the wild.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

Collectors models are out. Couple of guys on iinstagrm have them. This is one that I really want but just don't have the funds for. Maybe one day.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I handled one ay Mark's Outdoors and it is fantastic. Perfect size to actually carry. Elite F and F, not sure about comparing to the Carey custom equivalent, but felt custom to me. The back spacer has jimpimg that is so awesome every Spydie should have it. The flipper action is closer to the Southard than the Domino to me, meaning it does not fire super hard. This might improve with use? It grips very hand filling and the CF is grippy. The clip is very similar to the Chubby and I don't love either but I did put it in my pocket and it clips secure and withdraws fine. So buy with confidence, you are getting a piece of art that cuts and is as close to owning the custom as most of us will get.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I've said recently that it was too $$$ for me.
However, I have no doubt she's worth every red cent. I would imagine its an incredible knife.
That being said, if I liked it, I would certainly drop the coin for it. One of the things I've learned about Spyderco is, you get your moneys worth and then some. Case in point, the Temperance 2. Some feel its a bit $$$ for what it is. And that's cool. But, man oh man, when you get her in hand, you know where those extra $$$ went.
Zencowboy

Post by Zencowboy »

twinboysdad wrote:I handled one ay Mark's Outdoors and it is fantastic. Perfect size to actually carry. Elite F and F, not sure about comparing to the Carey custom equivalent, but felt custom to me. The back spacer has jimpimg that is so awesome every Spydie should have it. The flipper action is closer to the Southard than the Domino to me, meaning it does not fire super hard. This might improve with use? It grips very hand filling and the CF is grippy. The clip is very similar to the Chubby and I don't love either but I did put it in my pocket and it clips secure and withdraws fine. So buy with confidence, you are getting a piece of art that cuts and is as close to owning the custom as most of us will get.
Well, your comments just made me order the Rubicon:-) Thanks
swigert

Post by swigert »

We need more pics guys!!
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The CF on the Rubicon is probably the best I've ever seen. Gorgeous! A lot of time and money went into achieving that. Flipper action is great. Lockup at 60% and solid. Blade is centered, sharp and ground well. I like the orange accents better in person. I'll carry it later today.

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Very nice RamZar! Let us know how it feels in pocket.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Awesome, thanks for the pics.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

I don't get it. Wouldn't trade my Native 5 for one.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

RamZar wrote:The CF on the Rubicon is probably the best I've ever seen. Gorgeous! A lot of time and money went into achieving that. Flipper action is great. Lockup at 60% and solid. Blade is centered, sharp and ground well. I like the orange accents better in person. I'll carry it later today.

These pictures really give me a better sense of what it looks like in person. Most photos I've seen are typically perfectly parallel to the knife so you don't get a good sense of the dimensions. You may have just tipped my scales in favour of picking one up. Perhaps my Xmas present.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
God'sMyJudge

Post by God'sMyJudge »

looks awesome. this will be the first liner lock I've gotten in ages. I think the updated starmate was my last one.
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

I really like that CF but that pocket clip and the thick blade stock together are a deal breaker for me. I'm not liking these custom clips on the colabs, the Chubby's clip is also very ...... oh, shiny footprints. I would really like it if the "special" clips had a screw spacing that allowed them to be replaced by a stock hourglass clip for those of thus that don't like the bling.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

PSquared wrote:I really like that CF but that pocket clip and the thick blade stock together are a deal breaker for me. I'm not liking these custom clips on the colabs, the Chubby's clip is also very ...... oh, shiny footprints. I would really like it if the "special" clips had a screw spacing that allowed them to be replaced by a stock hourglass clip for those of thus that don't like the bling.
I really dislike the custom clips. You're not alone, bro.
- best wishes, Jazz.