Why do you think we don't see more spydercos in m4

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

Why do you think we don't see more spydercos in m4

Post by Surfingringo »

Just curious. M4 seems to be quite popular amongst forumites. Has a good balance of properties that seems to satisfy a lot of folks. And yet we only see it being used in a couple of knives (one of which is about to switch to a different steel) This seems to be a very highly regarded steel on the boards but we don't see a whole lot of it. I wonder if it's because it's not stainless? Maybe it's not worth dealing with the "hey, my $150 knife RUSTED!" phone calls? Im not sure, but I see how often this steel gets requested and I see how good spyderco is about using steels we request and it always makes me wonder why we don't see more of this steel. Thoughts?
The Mastiff

Re: Why do you think we don't see more spydercos in m4

Post by The Mastiff »

It's a great steel all right. It can do many things well. The market keeps seeking out newer, sexier steels though. I mean, who would have thought we'd be seeing 10V at rc 63 ? Same thing with S110V. Sal has some more cool steels coming up in the mule team program though the above two are very difficult to equal much less out do.:)

Joe
Nate

Post by Nate »

Surfingringo wrote:And yet we only see it being used in a couple of knives (one of which is about to switch to a different steel)
I missed this. Are they changing the steel on the Bradley or the Air? To what?
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

My guess is the rusting issue plays big into this. It's really my only issue with these knives, primarily due to excess finger oil left on the Spyderhole, etc.

I'm also curious about the steel changeout too Lance, what are you speaking of? Both the GB Folder and Air are well deserved of a sprint or exclusive too, even with the new GB folder 2 possibly on the horizon. And that fixed blade in PSF27, wow!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Mastiff wrote:It's a great steel all right. It can do many things well. The market keeps seeking out newer, sexier steels though. I mean, who would have thought we'd be seeing 10V at rc 63 ? Same thing with S110V. Sal has some more cool steels coming up in the mule team program though the above two are very difficult to equal much less out do.:)

Joe
Pretty much this. I think it's a great steel but also glamorized by the Blade Sport competition. There are at the very least steels that hold and take an edge as good or better that are also stainless.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing more of it depending on the knife it's used on and what other steels are available on that model.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Possibly because popularity on this and other forums dedicated to knife enthusiasts does not always translate to popularity with the far larger community of average users. Heck even among our community there are some, like myself, who consider non stainless steels like M-4 and Super Blue a step backward and have zero interest carrying or using them. I'll concede that, for some fixed blade uses, non-stainless steels still have merit. For folders, where there are more places for rust to develop and spread undetected, no thanks.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
cckw

Post by cckw »

I have wondered such things also. I would love to see it on a sprint mili or Manix XL with DLC coating. BM uses it in Contego and that is a decent knife, but made for a different size hand then mine. I was really excited when a fixed Contego was coming, but they used S30V on it. So just can't get a good representation of the steel in a knife I really want
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

We don't need a ton of Spydies in M4. I'd be happy with an M4 PM2 and an M4 fixed blade of some sort. (Not a mule.)
Holland

Post by Holland »

M4 is my favourite steel and i wish we could see more of it! We NEEEEEED an M4 para2 at some point and I would love B&T in M4 and another small folder of some sort in M4
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
bh49

Post by bh49 »

CPM M4 is not stainless. It will rust, which is a deal breaker for me and many other people. I do not like patina as well. For me it looks like the knife is dirty. One of my coworkers had GB. He liked it a lot. The knife even kick out S90V/CF Military from his pocket. But started to rust fairly soon. He removed rust, sold it and will never buy M4 again. Life story. Spyderco has couple producton models in M4 and this most likey is sufficient to satisfy need of majority of customers. Sprint runs is another story. Sprint of popular Golden models with CPM M4, probably will be sold fast.
Dabblerinred
Banned

Post by Dabblerinred »

M4 gets requested all the time, even threads fully dedicated to it like this pop up. Not only do I wonder why they don't use it more, but wonder why Sal hasn't addressed it given the sheer amount of inquiries. He usually responds to steel questions.

M4 is held at high esteem in all the forums, It may not be for everyone but Im sure it will sell.

Mr M4 himself Gayle Bradley isnt using M4 in his new Bowie... I wonder why.
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

Which model is dropping M4 and what steel is replacing it?
sal

Post by sal »

Eric is planning a few models in M4.

sal
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Thats good to know Sal !

Lately M4 and Superblue has become my favorite steels - for my uses they retain a high sharpness and resist the minor knocks better than the very high carbide stainless steels I have experience with. I can live with the lower corrosion resistance.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Glad the option is there for those who are a fan, but I'm a little hesitant to go non-stainless in a folder given the many solid stainless options available. I broke this rule with my SB delica, which hasn't had an issue (never taken apart though), but it is clad as well.

I'd definitely pick up a fixed blade in M4. Thinking I'll want to buy another mule soon, and feel like I should get one in non-stainless.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Thats the best news I've heard in a while Sal! I can't wait to see what he has up his sleeve
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Ferris Wheels wrote:Which model is dropping M4 and what steel is replacing it?
Apophis wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:And yet we only see it being used in a couple of knives (one of which is about to switch to a different steel)
I missed this. Are they changing the steel on the Bradley or the Air? To what?
My apologies guys, I got confused. I was thinking about the new fixed blade in psf27 and somehow got it in my head hat the GB folder was switching to that steel. It was 4:00 in the morning and I was getting ready to paddle the kayak out. Hadn't had my coffee yet! :o
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Holland wrote:M4 is my favourite steel and i wish we could see more of it! We NEEEEEED an M4 para2 at some point and I would love B&T in M4 and another small folder of some sort in M4
A b&t in m4 you say? Now there's an interesting idea! ;)
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

sal wrote:Eric is planning a few models in M4.

sal
I wonder if this would include new models, steel change in current production models, and/or sprints/exclusives.

I would love to see an M4 Millie or PM2 sprint.
sal

Post by sal »

Steel mods in current models.

sal