Spyderco Gardening Knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Spyderco Gardening Knife

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Has there been an attempt to make a Spyderco knife specific for gardening, or work with plants such as farming? I would say it could have a blade that would be suited for pruning and grafting and similiar chores. There must be a market for this sort of thing because I have seen other knife makers produce pruning and grafting knives. What do you say?
Evil D

Re: Spyderco Gardening Knife

Post by Evil D »

Spyderco hawkbills fill this role 110%. Serrated for pruning and such, PE for grafting.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Very true, Evil. A gardener infact told me the hawbill is better than straight blades designed for pruning, like the straight-bladed gardener from Victorinox, he prefers the Spyderco hawbills, both Tasman Salt, Harpy, and Byrd Hawbill.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yep. So many gardening cuts are pull cuts and you pretty much never run into a situation where you're making a "cutting board" style cut, so hawkbills don't really suffer from their drawbacks when used for gardening. The fine point also allows easy access into tight places. I think if anything, the perfect gardening knife might be something like the Dyad, but with a standard blade on one end and a SE hawkbill on the other. That way you'd have all your bases covered.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Tasman PE/SE and Spyderhawk PE/SE.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I'm not much of a gardener but I did my fall pruning with my Farid K-2, (I had just got it and figured why not?!). It worked great and I will use it for this and similar tasks in the future.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Vegetation in my backyard has been no match for my S110V lightweight Manix 2! A large hawkbill gardening tool in FRN would be a great lineup to the outdoor tool roster for sure.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

SE Yellow Tasman is great. Wife uses a Byrd rescue a bit, she mostly sticks to secateurs though. The pairing knife is pretty good for more delicate work requiring precision.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Much as I love my Spydercos, if there's pruning to be done, I'll reach for a pair of pruning shears. As for budding and grafting, I'd probably reach for either my Krein reground jigged bone Kiwi, or a Kiwi 4. Others might consider the Des Horn or Gayle Bradley Air, as well as the Kiwi 4.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

The Deacon wrote:Much as I love my Spydercos, if there's pruning to be done, I'll reach for a pair of pruning shears...
+1 Use the right tool for the job.

Here's my favorite gardening knife ... http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/Page ... at=2,51810" target="_blank ... and I don't need another.

Gordon
tlo14290

Post by tlo14290 »

Sometimes I use my Manix2 XL, but I usually will grab a Silky saw for pruning, especially branches over 1/2". I like the Accel 210 the best, you can cut a 1/4" twig or a 4" branch with equal ease... Those teeth are sharp! If it's mostly smaller stuff, I use a pair of bypass pruning shears...

Or sometimes a nice, sharp machete! Or a chain saw(for bigger stuff). It all depends on what I'm pruning.

Use the right tool for the job. Yeah!
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

SE Tasman - Pruning, root separation, general utility, twine, harvest
CE millile - Pruning, root seperation, cutting pots open, cutting open bags, twine, rope, harvest

For grafting I keep a seperate blade, PE Delica FFG, VG10 is a horticultural steel that IIRC was developed specifically for use in greenhouses. The only reason I keep the seperate knife for grafting is to ensure disease/bacteria is not introduced to the graft or to at least limit that.

The first two I would consider all around knives, the third a specific purpose knife. Not sure if there are any better "gardening" knives around.
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

It’s been a few years so I’d be curious to see what everyone is using these days for a gardening knife. Pondering buying something for the wife as she was asking about it.

Rich
Think for yourself
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

If you can still find a Spyderhawk Sprint Run, I think that would be perfect. It's orange, so hard to lose, and H1, so impossible to rust. You can just rinse the dirt out and be good to go. If not, a yellow Tasman Salt would be great too, just a little smaller.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

The Tasman Salt SE and Pacific Salt SE are the two knives I use most in the garden.

Other knives get a run, but those two are what I always return to.

Other knives which I like to use in the garden:

Gayle Bradley 1
SE Dragonfly Salt
Becker BK9
A. Wright & Sons Lambsfoot slipjoint.
Victorinox Soldier

And I’m looking forward to trying out my new Waterway in the garden, when Spring and Summer get here.

And of course, the Silky saws are beyond compare. I use the 240mm Gomboy.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Now if we can just convince Eric & Sal to make a Japanese style gardening knife like the real thing - http://www.nisaku.co.jp/njc/garden/knife.html.
Elshauno

Post by Elshauno »

ugaarguy wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:54 pm
Now if we can just convince Eric & Sal to make a Japanese style gardening knife like the real thing
That looks exactly like a duct knife, pretty cool

https://images.app.goo.gl/g3Vf1tXe6cVp7bVBA
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

cabfrank wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:23 pm
If you can still find a Spyderhawk Sprint Run, I think that would be perfect. It's orange, so hard to lose, and H1, so impossible to rust. You can just rinse the dirt out and be good to go. If not, a yellow Tasman Salt would be great too, just a little smaller.
+1

If I'm in the yard that knife is in my pocket. I've even thought about taping it to a pole just to snatch some out of reach twigs. Recently bent the the tip up pruning some ivy and jabbed it into landscaping stones. Few minutes with the sharpmaker and its ready for action.

Dont have any grafting experience though.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Spyderhawk sprint run for the win! That thing is perfect for gardening work.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

A hawkbill seems like it would be really good. I'd also guess k390 would be a very good steel choice despite needing constant cleaning to prevent corrosion. Great edge retention and and strength, with formidable toughness as well if you hit something unexpected. I'm sure SE H1 is good too.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?