Spyderco Gardening Knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tonijedi

Re: Spyderco Gardening Knife

Post by tonijedi »

:D Whale rescue tool comes to my mind as a good pruning knife :D
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:59 pm
Spyderco hawkbills fill this role 110%. Serrated for pruning and such, PE for grafting.
I agree with David and really Spyderco has already got an entire series of garden knives>> yeah it's called the H-1 Salt Series. I've said for a long time that if main order companies that sell gardening tools like A.M. Leonard were to put Spyderco Hawkbills and the other knives in the H-1 Salt Series you would have a wide array of cutting tools for all types of gardening chores.

Hawkbill blades period have all kinds of advantages. I also think there are a lot of possibilities for Recurve and Reverse S blades for gardening, landscaping chores.

Grafting is a job that requires a specialized tool. But again I tend to agree with David that a plain edged Hawkbill might just be what the doctor ordered. The Swiss Army Knife company Victorinox has a really nice selection of grafting knives. I own two of them and they do a nice job.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

tonijedi wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:11 am
:D Whale rescue tool comes to my mind as a good pruning knife :D
This old Spyderco "Whale Rescue" knife just keeps coming up over and over. I don't think there is any limit to what that particular model could be used for. It appears that using this tool in the course of trying to rescue a whale that might be entangled in netting is maybe only one of about a hundred possible uses.
If you could put one of those Whale Rescue blades affixed to either a long wooden pole or take one of those "telescoping" extention type roller handle poles you buy at professional paint stores there would be a lot of chores you could do with those.
Elshauno

Post by Elshauno »

Here's a modified Whale Rescue that would be awesome for gardening hahaImage
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Now that's the thing!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Elshauno wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:52 am

Showed this pic to my Sharpmaker and it started crying and hid under my desk.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jdw

Post by jdw »

I often use a SE Matriarch. The belly gives great push cuts and the hook is awesome for light pruning and harvesting vegetables.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

My Orange H1 Spyderhawk and my SE Pac Salts are my go to gardening/outdoor knives. Tasman Salt and Byrd Hawkbill get honorable mention.

I really think the SE Spyderhawk should be a production knife marketed to the landscaping/gardening crowd. H1 or LC200 in SE. Hoping for a Toxic Green LC200N SE Salt version soon.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Don’t go in the garden unless I have a Delica or a salt, always open the salt for the pool with a salt1
Salt1 and a Delica sitting on the shelf down stairs.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

ugaarguy wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:54 pm

Now if we can just convince Eric & Sal to make a Japanese style gardening knife like the real thing - http://www.nisaku.co.jp/njc/garden/knife.html.

I have this exact knife. I would love something similar from Spyderco that is full tang with frn scales, an exposed pommel on the end for hammering/prying, and a full spyderedged 8-9" H1 blade
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Elshauno wrote:

This is super cool. I want a 8-9" long thin fully spyderedged H1 knife, but with a spear point, full tang, and exposed pommel.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:15 pm
Elshauno wrote:

This is super cool. I want a 8-9" long thin fully spyderedged H1 knife, but with a spear point, full tang, and exposed pommel.
For gardening or zombies? :p
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Enactive wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:46 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:15 pm

For gardening or zombies? :p

Ha, I guess it could do double duty for both! Basically very similar to below, but with a full SE spyderedged H1 blade. This one has a 9" blade length, and the width is about what I was thinking as well.