Spyderench

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bodog

Spyderench

Post by Bodog »

I just found a cool little tool called the spyderench. Is there a chance that a new and improved version can be produced? Seems like an awesome gadget that I could use day to day.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
sal

Re: Spyderench

Post by sal »

Hi Bodog,

We have no plans at this time to produce the piece.

sal
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

There is still a Byrdrench...
Rule #9

Post by Rule #9 »

I just stumbled across the spyderwrench last night and thought it funny you posted this. I would love to get my hands on one. It's a shame they're no longer made. They look awesome!
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Wanimator wrote:There is still a Byrdrench...
Discontinued as well.

The wrenches were clever but seems like a tough sell given the price.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I have both...and they're neat pieces and I use them around the house from time to time...sometimes I have one in my truck. They're a tad on the large side though IMO for regular carry, and my Leatherman Skeletool gets carried more often as a result (Paired with one or two Spyderco knives of course). That said I've been giving coveralls another go (Instead of jeans at work), and one might carry more nicely in the breast pocket than in a jeans pocket. I may just have to give that a go tomorrow as a test run.

All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I still use my original Spyderench on occasions. I like to carry it as a companion tool for my more conventional multi-tool that I use a lot and that being the Victorinox SWISS TOOL.

In some ways the original early 2000s, USA made version of the Spyderench was way ahead of it's time. The concept of the Spyderench dealt with a lot of uses that the more conventional multi-tools fail to address. From what I was told the original Spyderench never made a big hit at the box office so it's doubtful if we see it again anytime soon unless something stirs up the current multi-tool market.

One huge problem the multi-tool market has to contend with are all the cheap, third world made pieces of absolute junk that tend to dominate the main market at places like Rip-Mart or many of the more popular internet sights. Unfortunately high quality units have not yet found their way to most sectors of the market like outdoor, hunting, fishing, hiking ect which all have viable uses for such tools. Bottom line until you have a lot of consumers willing to pay top dollar for quality units I doubt if something well designed and superior quality like the Spyderench or any other top quality multi-tool makes a dent in the current multi-tool market.

Personally I would love to see a SPYDERENCH 2 with a lot of new tool options available in the future.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

It's a very interesting hunk o' steel. Incredibly heavy for its size, but also really useful. A sprint run would be fun, but I find it unlikely.

(pardon the Navigator)
kiwiian

Post by kiwiian »

Have wanted one of these since I first saw the concept announcement.
Surely there are enough of us out there to warrant a sprint run. PLEASE.
I wonder what the price point would be.
Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Agreed. Probably ahead of its time back in 1999 or whenever it was first produced. I'm at a loss when looking at multitools because I've carried Leathermans and Gerbers and truth be told, there was nothing really high quality about them (my personal opinion only). Seems like they're made to low specs and low tolerances. Even with an S30V blade (which I don't care about because I carry actual knives) I don't trust that anything is heat treated correctly at all. I'd pay 200 bucks or even more for a spyderco version knowing that the frame and tools included would be made of good steel with strong pivots with tight, smooth actions. I want one that has the buttery smooth feel of a military or other quality knife, and I've given up hope in finding one.
JD Spydo wrote:I still use my original Spyderench on occasions. I like to carry it as a companion tool for my more conventional multi-tool that I use a lot and that being the Victorinox SWISS TOOL.

In some ways the original early 2000s, USA made version of the Spyderench was way ahead of it's time. The concept of the Spyderench dealt with a lot of uses that the more conventional multi-tools fail to address. From what I was told the original Spyderench never made a big hit at the box office so it's doubtful if we see it again anytime soon unless something stirs up the current multi-tool market.

One huge problem the multi-tool market has to contend with are all the cheap, third world made pieces of absolute junk that tend to dominate the main market at places like Rip-Mart or many of the more popular internet sights. Unfortunately high quality units have not yet found their way to most sectors of the market like outdoor, hunting, fishing, hiking ect which all have viable uses for such tools. Bottom line until you have a lot of consumers willing to pay top dollar for quality units I doubt if something well designed and superior quality like the Spyderench or any other top quality multi-tool makes a dent in the current multi-tool market.

Personally I would love to see a SPYDERENCH 2 with a lot of new tool options available in the future.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.