Curiosity got the best of this Cat ( LW N5 Dissection )

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
paladin

Curiosity got the best of this Cat ( LW N5 Dissection )

Post by paladin »

:cool:

Wasn't diggin the matte finish on my LW N5, so I started on it with a Scotch Brite just to test the waters...

Good news-- the finish comes off easily...but the Scotch Brite left some holidays & errant scratches that I'm gonna have to work out, but at least it is easily doable and may even prove to be enjoyable & therapeutic... :)

So I figure I gotta remove the blade to really get at refinishing the blade and I discover that the innards of the LW N5 are REALLY INTRIGUING...unlike any Spyder I've ever opened up...

There's some great engineering in there so I'll let my (poor) pics do some talking...

***NOTE the lavender Sharpie looking marks on the clip side scale...indexing marks for CNC perhaps??? :confused: Very Neat Stuff in this Model :D

Last edited by paladin on Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
paladin

Re: Curiosity got the best of this Cat ( LW N5 Dissection )

Post by paladin »

No bronze washers on my knife...

Seems the blade rotates atop those 3 FRN circle segments surrounding the tip down screw inserts...that's an innovation, I think
paladin

Post by paladin »

I am very impressed with the "minimalist integrated" design of this model...

very few parts in total for a folder...

1. Lockbar
2. Lockbar pivot
3. Lockbar spring
4. threaded Pocket clip & handle inserts
5. Pocket clip
6. Blade
7. Barrel bushing
8. Blade
9. Handles
10. Torx Fasteners

Seems true to the utilitarian spirit that embodies the Native, IMHO... :) :spyder:
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Very cool...I was on the fence about picking one of these up but I'll definitely have to now. I'll probably wait for the S110V version though, but it does look like an intriguing evolution of the quintessential Spyderco FRN design.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

That is cool. Thanks for sharing.

What's a holiday?
kiwiian

Post by kiwiian »

Just spotted the letters next to the date code. Any idea what they pertain to? I have some on my new pm2 also. Seems they are something new. Interesting knife btw. Something alittle different.
paladin

Post by paladin »

aquaman67 wrote:That is cool. Thanks for sharing.

What's a holiday?
The way I use "holiday" is that it means "didn't work on (as in not working on holidays...get it?)" meaning I overlooked sanding part of the blade...In other words, sloppy work :o

It's painter lingo, probably misapplied ( pun totally intended ) here in bladework... :p
paladin

Post by paladin »

kiwiian wrote:Just spotted the letters next to the date code. Any idea what they pertain to? I have some on my new pm2 also. Seems they are something new. Interesting knife btw. Something alittle different.
Honestly, I don't know, maybe mine is a "Real Michael Janich" issued blade or a "Registered Michael Jordan" collaboration ...

I'm just kidding of course, probably not the best idea to be flippant around junior members, most of the time you just can't take me seriously :p
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I'm surprised at the reliefs molded into the scales. To make it lighter? I get the reliefs surrounding the pivot but the rest I don't understand.

The pink marks may be from some tool that helps gauge flatness. Just a guess.
kiwiian

Post by kiwiian »

paladin wrote:
Honestly, I don't know, maybe mine is a "Real Michael Janich" issued blade or a "Registered Michael Jordan" collaboration ...

I'm just kidding of course, probably not the best idea to be flippant around junior members, most of the time you just can't take me seriously :p
I guess mine must be " Top Cat Rules" LOL
paladin

Post by paladin »

zhyla wrote:I'm surprised at the reliefs molded into the scales. To make it lighter? I get the reliefs surrounding the pivot but the rest I don't understand.
I've heard somewhere that the honeycomb like reliefs do aid in lightening but that the "ridges" act as "I-beams" sort of and actually provide greater rigidity than a solid slab of material alone...I think :confused:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Interesting photos of an interesting design, thanks for sharing. FWIW, while I haven't taken mine apart, I don't see any of those purple dots when I look at the inside of the handle with a flashlight.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

That is a pretty stout looking design. Well engineered, simple and nicely done. Paladin, thanks for taking the time to show us the goings on in the new knife. It makes me wish I wasn't so broke. :) I'll catch up someday.

Joe
paladin

Post by paladin »

The Deacon wrote:Interesting photos of an interesting design, thanks for sharing.
Thanks for the kind words Joe & Paul & everyone...

Just doin my job ;) ...and saving other brethren the trouble of voiding their warranties! :eek:

...anywho... got obsessed with removing that matte finish last night (my original mission) & had to burn the midnite oil to get er dun...

That matte finish is VERY easy to remove, started with green Scotch Brite then worked my way thru w/d sandpaper grits to 2000...

Finished up with Mother's chrome polish & then applied some FrogLube to the blade face & tang...

the tangstamps & Spyder come thru nice & sharp & in a more subdued sort of way...CLASSY!

didn't worry with making it a true mirror cuz I'm gonna scratch it up anyways...she's a USER, boys!

If any of you fellers are thinking about the same project GO FOR IT...It is a fun & easy mod :D

BTW, I tried to manipulate "Mother's" head to look like a creature for ya'll for Halloween :p

RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Great thread and great pics paladin! Really impressive engineering in this little guy, eh? I really like the pivot pin on the lockbar, has that specific incarnation been seen before?

Good to know also that the new style of blade finish comes off pretty easily, I must say I'm not a big fan. I prefer the older style where you can see the metal and the grind lines. Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
paladin

Post by paladin »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Great thread and great pics paladin! Really impressive engineering in this little guy, eh? I really like the pivot pin on the lockbar, has that specific incarnation been seen before?
No, at least not by me...BOTOH, I usually do not make a practice of dissecting every model of all my Spyders-- so I have a limited knowledge base on the innards....thanks, Radio. :spyder: :)
Last edited by paladin on Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Great thread. Very informative.
I really hope that you guys will stop talking about this knife. You are not helping. I use all my will power to resist buying instinct. I am not FRN fan, I never cared about LW and currently have 6 Native5, which I thought is enough at this moment.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Wow! Very nice job on the polishing! I've been considering doing that to another knife, and those pics are very encouraging.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

bh49 wrote:Great thread. Very informative.
I really hope that you guys will stop talking about this knife. You are not helping. I use all my will power to resist buying instinct. I am not FRN fan, I never cared about LW and currently have 6 Native5, which I thought is enough at this moment.
Come on Roman, it's only $80 or so! I like this FRN version and am even more impressed after seeing these innard pics, but likely won't carry it. I don't feel the same weight gain over the G10/CF versions as is seen with the lightweight Manix 2. It's a great addition to the collection though, this one makes it double digit N5's for me, yikes! No lavender dots on the inside of mine either BTW... Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

kiwiian wrote:Just spotted the letters next to the date code. Any idea what they pertain to? I have some on my new pm2 also. Seems they are something new. Interesting knife btw. Something alittle different.
Were I to hazard a guess, maybe 9-14 was when the blade was either ground or passed by QA - Initials of the person involved?