Torx screws on two Milis

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Buendia518

Torx screws on two Milis

Post by Buendia518 »

Yesterday, on another forum I posted a trade thread with a photo of my two Spyderco Militaries. Someone pointed out that the hardware on the Satin Mili is larger than the DLC version and they questioned the authenticity. I got the knife on the BF exchange from a member with very high feedback and I've never questioned it myself, but I thought I'd add a photo and ask for some opinions before I list it again. It's clearly the older knife so I assume that explains the difference, there are patent #s on the clip. The lanyard tube is bigger on the Satin version and the clip screws are Phillips heads.

Please note when I got it, the tip was broken off so the blade is shorter for a reason. Photo bucket's killing me right now and this is the only picture coming through.
Buendia518

Re: Torx screws on two Milis

Post by Buendia518 »

The frame screws fit a larger torx driver, that's really all that sticks out to me. The lockbar is finished correctly and the action is smooth.
The backspacer was replaced with barrel style spacers so I guess the lanyard tube could have been switched but I doubt it.
Buendia518

Post by Buendia518 »

I know it's hard to tell from one picture but if the different hardware can be explained that would put me at ease.

Thanks for looking :)
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

Where did you purchase that DLC military ?
If it's not polished, call it a saw, not an edge!
Buendia518

Post by Buendia518 »

also on the exchange, does that one seem fake to you?
Buendia518

Post by Buendia518 »

the same guy was selling a blue zdp stretch, but he was relatively new...

yikes the clips are a little different too... should I be running to return the black one now?
They fooled me!
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

to my knowledge there's no fake clip on the market with those patent writing. That only means your clip is the real thing.

Now there's a little something about that DLC one that make me unsure, but I can't say what it is. Give us a few more picture of both?
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

I think you need to take some better pics, it's a bit hard to see. As far as I know Spyderco have only made a ZDP Stretch in British Racing Green unless you mean the Super Blue Stretch which is a gray/blue.
Buendia518

Post by Buendia518 »

this photo is deceiving, the lockbar cutouts are identical

also, there was a blue zdp sprint a while ago, but that also doesn't prove anything of course
Buendia518

Post by Buendia518 »

The clip on the DLC version was a little bent out, not flat
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

No stretch copy have been made yet, at least that I know off ( I check daily to add the newest fake to the list so people can avoid buying those model from anywhere but reputable dealer) so I'd guess 99.999% the stretch is real.
Last edited by Laethageal on Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buendia518

Post by Buendia518 »

Oh I know the Stretch was real, I wish I would have bought that now :)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Johnnie1801 wrote:I think you need to take some better pics, it's a bit hard to see. As far as I know Spyderco have only made a ZDP Stretch in British Racing Green unless you mean the Super Blue Stretch which is a gray/blue.
The first run of zdp stretches were blue.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Buendia518

Post by Buendia518 »

Well, now paypal's 6 month claim window doesn't seem so bad
Donut

Post by Donut »

I traded someone on Bladeforums for a Cruwear Military that they replaced the hardware with larger Torx screws. I kind of favorite over my stock Cruwear Military. I think he said he polished the internals, too, so maybe the warranty is void, but it operates smoother and looks a little nicer with the aftermarket hardware.

He did post notice of all of this in the trade thread.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The Military has been in production for close to twenty years. During that time just about every piece of it has changed. In addition to the various steels, etchings, and jimping patterns the very thickness of the blades have changed. Additional liners have been added, backspacers and clips have changed and every screw has been changed, some several times. I don't have a lot of Milies, but there's an Allen the I've never bothered to measure, a T-15 Torx, and a T-10 Torx pivot among the few I own. You either trust your source, or you don't.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Buendia518

Post by Buendia518 »

The Deacon wrote: You either trust your source, or you don't.
I'm not as confident as I was to start, but I have no reason to think either source is dishonorable. I don't think I'll contact them quite yet. I might end up sending these to Spyderco to check over.

Thanks everyone for the opinions.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Johnnie1801 wrote:I think you need to take some better pics, it's a bit hard to see. As far as I know Spyderco have only made a ZDP Stretch in British Racing Green unless you mean the Super Blue Stretch which is a gray/blue.
The first run of zdp stretches were blue.
Should have checked the wiki before typing :p

@ Buendia - Do you have boxes with your millie's? If there is a date on the box or on the blade tang then it will be easier to compare with real models made at the same time period ie regarding screws etc
Buendia518

Post by Buendia518 »

Johnnie1801 wrote: @ Buendia - Do you have boxes with your millie's? If there is a date on the box or on the blade tang then it will be easier to compare with real models made at the same time period ie regarding screws etc
No, unfortunately. I handled them both a lot yesterday and I'm holding one now; and I'm pretty convinced they're real. I think the Satin version is just really old.

As I said the owner of the DLC was selling/ offering a fairly uncommon discontinued model so that makes me feel somewhat better, and it looks spot on to me but who knows.

I still can't trade one in good conscience so I might just send both in to be certain.

I'm just mildly embarrassed I started another fake military thread. :o