Spyderco Tactical Pen?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Spyderco Tactical Pen?

Post by Evil D »

I carry a Boker .50 Cal daily, and it's a nice pen. I have some complaints, but overall it's been a good EDC pen. It takes a Space Pen refill, has a strong removable clip, and I love the bolt action.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

And were I faced with defending myself, I would reach for my tactical pen rather than my larger Spydie, why? Or are tactical pens for rides on airplanes and walks in government buildings? What am I missing?
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

wrdwrght wrote:And were I faced with defending myself, I would reach for my tactical pen rather than my larger Spydie, why? Or are tactical pens for rides on airplanes and walks in government buildings? What am I missing?
You're not missing much. The concept of a tactical pen is laughable IMO, as you can easily do quite a bit of damage with just about any pen especially if it's metal. However, I carry what I carry because I'm hard on pens, specifically the clips. They always get snagged and either bent out and can't be bent back or snapped off completely, so having a knife style removable clip is a bonus for me. Otherwise if you're into high tech kinds of things (which obviously you are if you're into knives) then this sort of thing is kind of an extension to that. Most all of them are very nicely machined out of quality parts, so at the very least you're getting a high tech quality pen that'll be practically indestructible, and (hopefully) has a nice removable/repairable clip.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

wrdwrght wrote:And were I faced with defending myself, I would reach for my tactical pen rather than my larger Spydie, why? Or are tactical pens for rides on airplanes and walks in government buildings? What am I missing?
Not sure on gov buildings but the TSA have arrested and fined people for trying to carry tactical pens aboard planes.

The main problem with tactical pens is they are small and lightweight making them more of an adhoc puncture tool than a concussive one. That and they are still deemed a "deadly weapon" if you stab someone with one.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Evil D wrote:
You're not missing much. The concept of a tactical pen is laughable IMO, as you can easily do quite a bit of damage with just about any pen especially if it's metal. However, I carry what I carry because I'm hard on pens, specifically the clips. They always get snagged and either bent out and can't be bent back or snapped off completely, so having a knife style removable clip is a bonus for me. Otherwise if you're into high tech kinds of things (which obviously you are if you're into knives) then this sort of thing is kind of an extension to that. Most all of them are very nicely machined out of quality parts, so at the very least you're getting a high tech quality pen that'll be practically indestructible, and (hopefully) has a nice removable/repairable clip.
Aha! For your reasons, I could be tempted, but I'd probably resist, as it would mean one less knife...
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Blerv wrote:That and they are still deemed a "deadly weapon" if you stab someone with one.
So is a #2 Pencil and a plain BIC pen. :D

In all seriousness, the non tactical look is why I chose a red pen. We all know a black pen makes it tactical and thus scary.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

I'm in, I would love one. Make a couple. Make one on the big, masculine side, maybe out of brass, copper, or stainless so it's got a bit of heft, square the sides a bit like a Rotring 600, some divots on those flats for gripping. The a spydie symbol in a deep ruby on the top of the cap or glow spydie.

Would love to see a nice cane too, and maybe an aluminum, stout Spydie umbrella.

That is all Santa and Sal. P.S. Don't tell my wife.

Dave
Corvid1

Post by Corvid1 »

I'd absolutely buy a Spyderco tactical pen with a Space Pen cartridge.

tim
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

Am I the only one that doesn't like the Fisher Space Pen cartridge? I just can't stand the way it writes. The only pen I've ever bought with one was a Hinderer Investigator, and the writing is inconsistent, you need to press down too hard to get consistent darkness, and you tend to get a big gob of ink on the tip if it hasn't been used in a while. I was just absolutely not impressed with it.

If someone would make a good gel cartridge in the same size as the Fisher I'd own several more "tactical" style pens, but until then, I'm going to keep using pens that take better-writing cartridges like the Pilot G2 or Uniball Signo.

Or is my experience with the FSP just totally different from everyone else's?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Nah, they can be a bit funky sometimes. Others have worked flawlessly. IMO, the perks outweigh the cons for me. The ink writes on stuff easily and doesn't bleed as bad as some cartridges. That and I travel to the moon frequently. :p
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

I'd carry a nice Spyderco pen :D
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

Blerv wrote:Nah, they can be a bit funky sometimes. Others have worked flawlessly. IMO, the perks outweigh the cons for me. The ink writes on stuff easily and doesn't bleed as bad as some cartridges. That and I travel to the moon frequently. :p
Working pens AND trips to the moon? Where do I sign up? :D

Seriously, if Spyderco does make a pen, I'll probably at least check it out if it's not too bulky.

Glad to hear the FSP cartridges at least have the potential to function well. :p
paladin

Post by paladin »

Where would Spyderco put the hole? :spyder: :p
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

paladin wrote:Where would Spyderco put the hole? :spyder: :p
I think someone already beat Spyderco to it.

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

As far as tactical uses go I think it is meant to be used the same as a kubotan. I think it is really only effective in that role if you are trained and if you have practiced heavily with it. I personally rely on my fists, a knife and a handgun. I have never really considered training with a kubotan but there are people out there who claim that they can be very effective. A nice flashlight that holds two aa batteries would be just as effective. I'm sure a mini mag lite would work just as well or maybe even better than a pen. I have heard a few stories of flashlights being used as an improvised weapon and being heavier than a pen you could use it as a blunt object for striking.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

My understanding is that one version of the Fisher refill is better than the other, can't remember if it was the medium or the fine offhand. I use space pen refills in my MMC and other pens and enjoy it. It doesn't leak, works anywhere, and is relatively smooth. The ink also lasts a fair amount of time. Gels have too many issues... Run out quickly, bleed, leak, etc. I still need to try the fine liner refill from MontBlanc. Haven't found a perfect ink refill yet. My ex was in love with the Pilot Hi Tec C refill.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

I travel a lot and still wince every time I have to download my knives and stick them in my checked baggage. I've carried various types of writing instruments in my carry on for years as yawara-style tools and initially thought the whole concept of purpose-designed tactical pens was hype. The guy on the other end really won't know the difference if you ding him with a $2.00 piece of plastic or a $200.00 piece of titanium.

After writing that in an article I did on tactical pens and suggesting that training and skill was actually more important than the choice of pen, I was approached by Jack Roman of Tuff-Writer pens at a trade show. Jack introduced himself and his company and mentioned that he had read my article. I braced for impact, figuring that he might think my comments were undermining his pen sales. Instead, he thanked me for writing the article and told me that his biggest challenge is convincing his customers to actually train and not just consider their pens as tactical placebos. I later learned that Jack trains--a lot--and applies the insights gained through those skills to his products. He also listens to his customers and adapts his products to their feedback.

Jack is now a good friend and I carry his pens (and mechanical pencil) exclusively. They have gone with me all over the world without incident. When I go through security at the airport, my pocket isn't even cold from the absence of my Yo 2 before it is replaced (on the other side of X-ray) with a Tuff-Writer.

One of the greatest advantages of the tactical pen or any similar improvised weapon is that, unlike a knife, you can walk down the street with it in your hand without issue. Yes, you can palm a folder, but if it's seen people get bunged up. With a pen, no worries. That gives you an immediate in-hand response without the need for a drawstroke. Since most people really don't have the skills they need to deploy their knives quickly and positively in response to a threat, using a pen as a bridging weapon is a huge advantage.

Also, please remember that in order to draw a knife, you must be justified. That means you must be able to articulate the fact that you were in fear of your life or in fear of grievous bodily injury. Not having any other fighting skills to cope with a non-lethal threat is NOT justification to draw a lethal weapon. Once again, the pen bridges that gap and provides the option for the scalable application of force.

Finally, pens are focused impact weapons, not stabbing weapons. Although they may penetrate skin, they aren't actually good at it. Good pen tactics, like my Focused Impact video series, teach sound motor skills and scalable targeting to respond to a broad level of threats within the scope of the attributes of the weapon.

With all that said, I think it would be very cool to see a Spyderco pen. A Spyderco tactical pen would have to be as good or better than my Tuff-Writers for me to even consider changing gears.

Stay safe,

Mike
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

Thanks for the well informed, and eye pleasing post Mr. Janich, it has really improved my insight on the day ahead. I do carry one pen at all times and when I haven't left it in my previous pockets a stainless steel/aluminum frame sharpie, where it's a sharpie that you screw into a solid frame. I like the sharpie because it isn't really pointy, it's rounded so when/if I make a strike it would be safe to bet that I'm not puncturing the aggressor without excuse. I would just be bruising them pretty badly.

Dang, you just made me want a Yo 2, solely to support your philosophy, experience and design.
TBob

Post by TBob »

I carry a CRKT Tac Pen daily and love it. The Fisher Space Pen refills have proven invaluable in every writing scenario I encounter. The screw-apart design helps give it rigidity in tactical use. Click design would not be useful to me. I'd be willing to go with a Spyderco Tac Pen if it used the Space Pen refills and was a solid design. Aluminum body would be OK, but Ti would be awesome although much more expensive.

All that said, there are plenty of good tac pens out there. Perhaps Spyderco would be wise to stick to what they do best - making things sharp and making sharp things.
Tdhurl1103

Post by Tdhurl1103 »

Evil D wrote:The deal breaker for me would be whether it's a clicky or bolt action. I won't carry anything that requires 2 hands to operate, so caps are a no go for me.
I am with you. Two handed operation kind of takes away from the whole "tactical" part of the pen if you think about it. I have been interested in these robust pens for a while now and I always balk at buying the Hinderer versions because of the cap. I have several pens, some of which have clicks, caps or a twist opening, and they are all great, however, I have yet to come across the perfect pen for me. One that will open one handed, truly all metal construction (inside and out), looks good, not overbuilt or too tactical, of sleek design/not fat like the kids crayola crayons, or too elegant like the cross or mont blancs, and is robust enough that I can use it as a tool, well, of a sort and not worry about bending or breaking.

The wait continues.......
Tom H

Spydernation #327
Beckerhead #284
KA-BAR Krew #27

Para 3, Gayle Bradley 1, Double Bevel, Paramilitary 2, Paramilitary 2 S110V, Sage 1, Persistence