Spyderco Tactical Pen?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Johnnie1801

Spyderco Tactical Pen?

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Just wondering if anyone would be interested in a tactical pen made by Spyderco? How about a titanium ball point?

any thought's?
Evil D

Re: Spyderco Tactical Pen?

Post by Evil D »

Depends on price and design, but I would be interested for sure. I don't really care so much about the tactical uses of these kinds of pens, I just like the toughness and mostly the removable knife-style clip.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I have carried my BM 1100 pen daily since the day my wife gifted it to me. I have gone through around 12 Fisher space pen refills and I do love it so. As David said, it isn't really about the tactical aspect (mine is red), but more about the deep carry clip and robust nature. I often use the tapered (slightly pointy) end to undo knots like a marlin spike. Have been wanting a copper or brass Hinderer Investigator for a while, but other things have come up anytime I had spare cash. I would be interested in seeing Spyderco's take on a modern pen.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The deal breaker for me would be whether it's a clicky or bolt action. I won't carry anything that requires 2 hands to operate, so caps are a no go for me.
mattman

Post by mattman »

I would be in on a clean ti clicky with a simple bug on it, for sure.

Personal preference for Pilot G2 refills...
Invective

Post by Invective »

I have been carrying a Hinderer Investigator fairly often but I much prefer a thinner pen tip. I got used to using .3 pens and pencils back in high school and now anything bigger than .38 just feels too thick and my legibility suffers a lot. I've tried the Fisher Space Fine tips as well but even those feel too fat for me.
If the price is low enough though, I'd still probably get a SpyderPen but for me to actually use it I'd want to be able to swap in .3 or .38 cartridges.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I carry pens loose in the pocket so I prefer capped pens to avoid and ink bleed. I don't get into the tactical part of the pens but do appreciate quality. Unfortunately losing pens natural for me and buying an expensive one has never been a good investment for me personally.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

I agree the tactical aspect wouldn't be my main point in buying one of these but it's a bit reassuring to know that it would be capable if ever needed. A thin titanium clicky with readily available refills would be the way to go for me but maybe a capped version as well for the people who like that. I hope Michael Janich will jump in and tell us something is already in the pipeline :D
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'm enough of a Spyderco addict that I'd wind up buying one pretty much regardless of what it was like. Actually carrying and using it would be a different matter. Most days I've got a gun and a couple knives on me, often including one with a "glass breaker", so I can really see it ever coming down to my "needing" at tactical pen. Despite that, my two most often used pens are a S&W M&P and a Cross Townsend. In some ways they're as different as night and day, but both are fairly thick capped pens of similar length and heft, with caps that mount firmly on them in both the open and closed positions. The big plus for the S&W is that the knurled barrel offers much better control with a weak grip. Those are the features that would get a Spyderco branded pen into my pocket.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
LC Kid

Tactical Pen from Golden

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

I've been carrying my Hinderer Investigator for the last 2 years and I can say I just love it. :)

I don't even care about the whole 'tactical' idea, for me it is a really solid, sturdy, very well made pocket pen that carries lightly and unobtrusive in my pockets. Anything else is just worthless for me. :rolleyes:

I'd certainly love to see something similar coming from Golden. :spyder:
Blue Possum

Post by Blue Possum »

mattman wrote:I would be in on a clean ti clicky with a simple bug on it, for sure.

+1 but also would like the bottom of the barrel near the pen tip medium size and flared. Most tactical pens, I find are thin
nccole

Post by nccole »

I would. I would want a one handed operation, seems natural. Not too frilly, simple is good. Not too expensive so Ti may not be in my cards for a pen. I wouldn't mind G2 refills, or the ever popular Space Pen refills. I don't really want a tactical pen, but a quality pen from Spyderco sounds like a winner. Sal listens, but does Spyderco even have a lathe?
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

No.
mattman

Post by mattman »

Blue Possum wrote:
mattman wrote:I would be in on a clean ti clicky with a simple bug on it, for sure.

+1 but also would like the bottom of the barrel near the pen tip medium size and flared. Most tactical pens, I find are thin
I like this idea, as well.

And, just to clarify, I'm not for any degree of "tactical" either... just typical Spyderco utility/form-follows-function utility.
v8r

Post by v8r »

I would be down for one as long as it's not too tacticool. Something classy with a nice weight, click style,maybe a scaled down Spyderco hourglass clip, and able to take a standard fisher, or Parker refill.
I would also be down for a really nice mechanical pencil.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

I would be up for a nice pen made out of good materials, but not a 'me too' tactical pen design. The Maxmadco and Tibolt designs are really hard to top.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

My American-made Baliyo has been servicing all of my tactical and tacticool writing needs for almost three years now. It also makes a heck of a fist pack/pressure amplification tool.
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

I like nice pens but am the wrong guy to own them. I am hard on pens and tend to misplace them.

I would have no interest in a tactical pen. I have to confess that I am not sure I am clear on the concept of a tactical pen, since it's common knowledge that the pen is mightier than the sword anyway.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Cujobob wrote:I would be up for a nice pen made out of good materials, but not a 'me too' tactical pen design. The Maxmadco and Tibolt designs are really hard to top.
These are both very elegant designs, but I would want one with a top mount clip for the most discrete carry possible.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I think tac pens as designed are silly. That said, I love them aesthetically. If Spyderco made one with a Space Pen cartridge I would buy it. If they made it in bronze or copper i would buy a couple :). I carry a Matthew Martin 375Cu daily.