Manix 2 XL - Ball Lock Too Stiff - Hints?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
EatingPie

Manix 2 XL - Ball Lock Too Stiff - Hints?

Post by EatingPie »

Hi.

Just got my Manix 2 XL a few days ago, and really love the blade design. But I find the ball lock much too stiff. With thumb and forefinger, I can pull the tab back to unlock the knife, but it becomes fatiguing very quickly. As a counter-example, I can disengage an Axis lock with one finger quite easily. I don't mind a stiffer mechanism, but having to really pull that sucker strikes me as excessive.

I would like to loosen the mechanism, obviously without damaging its integrity. Possibly replacing the spring?

I would absolutely appreciate any ideas or hints on this. My thumb and forefinger thank you!

-Pie
rycen

Re: Manix 2 XL - Ball Lock Too Stiff - Hints?

Post by rycen »

I suggested letting it break in over time.
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

It breaks in quite nicely, I haven't broken it in to solely thumb depressing yet but It will get there. At the moment it is amazingly smooth and nice to operate.
800polaris

Post by 800polaris »

My dad takes his apart and cuts the spring a little bit shorter, they still lock solidly, just much easier to close.
EatingPie

Post by EatingPie »

Is the spring a standardized part by any chance? Is there a slightly less stiff spring that will fit?

I thought about cutting the spring too, but struck me as somewhat drastic… and one little mistake… :( :(

-Pie
WorkingEdge

Post by WorkingEdge »

I've been tempted in the past to make locks smoother in the past with many a knife...glad I left all of them alone. They have a way of breaking in nicely, at least Spydercos anyway.
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

EatingPie wrote:Hi.

Just got my Manix 2 XL a few days ago, and really love the blade design. But I find the ball lock much too stiff. With thumb and forefinger, I can pull the tab back to unlock the knife, but it becomes fatiguing very quickly. As a counter-example, I can disengage an Axis lock with one finger quite easily. I don't mind a stiffer mechanism, but having to really pull that sucker strikes me as excessive.

I would like to loosen the mechanism, obviously without damaging its integrity. Possibly replacing the spring?

I would absolutely appreciate any ideas or hints on this. My thumb and forefinger thank you!

-Pie
Is the button on your Manix 2 XL black or clear? The button on my Manix 2 XL is black and therefore much easier to operate after owning it for less than a month. However, the clear button on my Manix 2 G-10 is much harder to operate, and yet I have owned it for a half year.
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Finger exercises.....keep opening and closing :rolleyes:
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

My Manix2 was stiff as **** for about 2 days, but now it's perfect. The spring breaks in and you get used to the motion. Don't do anything to it for a couple weeks of use.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Fatiguing? How often do you need to open and close it? Just kidding, I am a bit of an obsessive flicker at times.

Honestly, just let it break in. It should loosen up. I know mine did. Axis lock is a very different spring. I would not modify the spring myself as a lock is a safety device and modifying it could make it more prone to failure and the manix2 xl is a fairly large knife that is often used roughly. Depends on how you plan on using it, how comfortable you are doing mods and how important lock reliability is to you.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
EatingPie

Post by EatingPie »

ManixFan wrote:Finger exercises.....keep opening and closing
bearfacedkiller wrote:Fatiguing? How often do you need to open and close it? Just kidding, I am a bit of an obsessive flicker at times.
:D :D :cool:

Sorry about lack of reply, been on sick leave from the forum. I have the Black button / Black Blade model. Totally awesome looking knife!
800polaris wrote:My dad takes his apart and cuts the spring a little bit shorter, they still lock solidly, just much easier to close.
My first thought, actually, and the most tempting -- also the most potential for total FUBAR -- not something I would do unless after a month or two break in I was totally desperate.

I would much rather replace the spring than cut it! Any ideas on parts (standardized)?

-Pie
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

BREAK IT IN. Mine is smooth as oiled glass, and will close with an ever so slight wrist... not even a flick, and will probably gravity close soon when I depress the lock. It came so friggn' stiff that I had to use two hands to close it.
EatingPie

Post by EatingPie »

Wanimator wrote:BREAK IT IN. Mine is smooth as oiled glass, and will close with an ever so slight wrist... not even a flick, and will probably gravity close soon when I depress the lock. It came so friggn' stiff that I had to use two hands to close it.
One of the best parts of folding knives is the honeymoon period of carrying everywhere and flicking it open just to hear the sound. Every knife I have makes a different sound when it locks in, and the Spyderco initially surprised me as to how dull and unassuming its "thunk" sounded. It's become my fave.

All that to say, yeah I'm breaking it in all right! I am noticing a little loosening of the lock. My question about the spring falls under "last resort" more or less. I would definitely like to know if it's a standard and easily replaceable part, if even just for peace of mind.

-Pie
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

I have seen lots of people saying that the spring breaks in over time, but I don't get it. I've had several Manix* models, and on at least 2 of them, I tried breaking the spring in by forcing an object (e.g. a pencil tip) in the mechanism such that the spring was maximally compressed. I left them that way for several days, and it made zero detectable difference. They didn't "break in" at all. I think what people perceive as break-in is just them getting used to the lock. Not sure. But I do wish I could manipulate the Manix* locks as easily as I can my Axis locks.
Wanimator wrote:BREAK IT IN. Mine is smooth as oiled glass, and will close with an ever so slight wrist... not even a flick, and will probably gravity close soon when I depress the lock. It came so friggn' stiff that I had to use two hands to close it.
Sounds like a separate issue? That is, the strength of the spring keeping the lock closed (which is what I thought the OP was asking about) vs. the smoothness of the pivot.
_centurio_

Post by _centurio_ »

Let it break in and maybe lube it with ball bearing fat.

br oliver
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

I was talking on both, the spring required a lot of strength, like 2 handed closing at first, now it's basically 1.5 finger closing.
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

I currently have two Manix models: The standard Manix2 (C101GP2, with a FFG S30V blade), and a Manix2 XL. I just checked again, and I can unlock them the same way I do my one knife with an Axis lock, which is with my thumb, blade facing up, flick blade closed with forefinger. It's a lot harder than with the Axis lock, and after doing it a few times my thumb can't take it anymore. This is exactly how these knives were the second I got them. They haven't broken in at all, but I've gotten more used to the lock.

As an experiment, I just covered both my Manix blades with a couple passes of blue masking tape (this is irrelevant to the experiment except for safety). Then I cut a few Q-tips in half and shoved them in the locks to force them to remain in the full-open position. The XL took three Q-tip cores and its lock is essentially 100% open. The standard Manix2 took two of them (could not fit a third) and is about 85% open. I will leave them like this indefinitely... A few weeks at least. I'd be shocked if it made the slightest difference though.

I vaguely remember reading about someone who found a lighter replacement spring for these knives. I don't know if the various Manix2 flavors all take the same spring, much less the XL.
EatingPie

Post by EatingPie »

Wanimator wrote:I was talking on both [lock and pivot]...
The pivot has definitely broken in. Initially, I had to tighten it to fix the play issue, and it was quite difficult to open and close. Now it flicks into place fine, either direction. Okay, I'm still considering adding a tiny bit more oil, but the knife is tough to put back together. :mad: <--- me putting knife back together!
Knutty wrote:As an experiment, I just covered both my Manix blades with a couple passes of blue masking tape (this is irrelevant to the experiment except for safety). Then I cut a few Q-tips in half and shoved them in the locks to force them to remain in the full-open position. The XL took three Q-tip cores and its lock is essentially 100% open. The standard Manix2 took two of them (could not fit a third) and is about 85% open. I will leave them like this indefinitely... A few weeks at least. I'd be shocked if it made the slightest difference though.

I vaguely remember reading about someone who found a lighter replacement spring for these knives. I don't know if the various Manix2 flavors all take the same spring, much less the XL.
Good experiment. I am interested in the results. I spent the first few days with my Manix 2 XL 80% closed, which compressed the spring as far as the knife could. I have no idea if it helped. I, too, came away with the impression the only change in the lock had to do with my fingers getting used to it.

I'll give the springs a run through google to see if I catch a bite.

-Pie
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

It has been nearly a month, and I figured if it was ever going to do anything, it would have done something by now. So, I removed the stuff I had forcing the springs compressed.

And it hasn't made the slightest difference. Not even the tiniest bit, as far as I can tell.

I am not surprised. These springs do not break in. I didn't think they would. I am reminded of stories I have read of 1911 handgun magazines that had been stored full of ammo, for decades, with the springs still working like new after all that time.
SpydyLover123

Post by SpydyLover123 »

It should loosen with use.