Manix 2 XL - Ball Lock Too Stiff - Hints?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Knutty

Re: Manix 2 XL - Ball Lock Too Stiff - Hints?

Post by Knutty »

We've covered that already. And if leaving the spring fully compressed for weeks on end makes no noticeable difference at all, why would it "loosen with use"?

It doesn't loosen; people simply get better at manipulating the lock and think it does.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Does it stick?

I suggest putting some lube where the ball lands. That loosens my locking up a little bit. See if that helps you any.

-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
rycen

Post by rycen »

Knutty wrote:We've covered that already. And if leaving the spring fully compressed for weeks on end makes no noticeable difference at all, why would it "loosen with use"?

It doesn't loosen; people simply get better at manipulating the lock and think it does.
The spring is just one component to the knife. Let's say it's not the spring that actually breaks in but all the rest of the parts.

What about the people that have more than one Manix 2? That would negate the getting used to the mechanism.I myself have experienced this.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Now that I look at the image I posted earlier, it's not as clear as I thought it would be, here are two pictures of a Manix 2 disassembled and partially disassembled that might help.

Also, does anyone remember the guy who swapped the ceramic ball into his Manix 2? I think he said it operated a little more smoothly.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

rycen wrote:
Knutty wrote:We've covered that already. And if leaving the spring fully compressed for weeks on end makes no noticeable difference at all, why would it "loosen with use"?
The spring is just one component to the knife. Let's say it's not the spring that actually breaks in but all the rest of the parts.
What about the people that have more than one Manix 2? That would negate the getting used to the mechanism.I myself have experienced this.
I can only speak of my own experience. I've had 4 or 5 of various flavors from the Manix line, and even straight out of the box, the only issue I've had with the lock was the spring. None of them were sticking at all; it was simply hard to work because of the spring. At some point, I'm going to take the spring out and cut a couple coils off.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

I have 2 manix 2's at this point and both of them where stiff out of the box but they broke in very nicely now everything is just perfect. :)
Gucci_Gang_Gucci_Gang_Brr

Post by Gucci_Gang_Gucci_Gang_Brr »

I'm having the same problem. I've tried to open and close it to break it in but all that's done is leave my thumb and first finger raw. I might call up Spyderco and ask what to do. If anyone knows how these things work it's gotta be them.
My Current :spyder: Knives: Delica 4 Blue, Manix 2 LW s110v
vivi

Post by vivi »

Open and close them a bunch the first month you own them and they should break in. My manix 2 xl dlc was stiff out of the box, now I pull the lock tab with only my thumb and easily swing the blade shut.
:unicorn
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

Over on BF look at post #107; person there took off 1 1/2 spring coils to aide in ease of opening...

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bla ... 778/page-6
Spyfan

Post by Spyfan »

The lock seems very stiff to unlock to most people new to the Manix 2 series but I promise it gets better with use and I learned to close it by pinching the lock down with index finger and thumb. I absolutely LOVE the Manix 2 and especially the 2 XL, I’d bet my life on them.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I got rid of mine because it never did get better. I tried everything short of cutting coils off the spring. So, I sold it. Great knife, otherwise. Now, if this knife were a back lock, it would be better and we would have more happy people, I think.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Holzfaeller

Post by Holzfaeller »

Knutty wrote: These springs do not break in. I didn't think they would. I am reminded of stories I have read of 1911 handgun magazines that had been stored full of ammo, for decades, with the springs still working like new after all that time.
Precisely. The change that occurs may be reduced friction of the moving parts, but most likely, the user is adapting to the lock.
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

I'd still like to see a silicon nitride ceramic ball introduced for wear/smoothness improvement.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

You have to consider that a weaker spring also means a weaker lock when it comes to this lock design. Years ago when Jim Ankerson did his hard use test on a Manix 2 and it failed every spine whack, it was most likely due to the ball bouncing off the tang during impact. A stronger spring can reduce the chances of this happening, but it also makes the lock stiffer to operate. You just have to decide which is more important to you, a strong and reliable lock or one that's easy to fidget with while watching TV?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I like the lock on my Manix LW, but the one on my particular XL was just too difficult to operate. I say that and I have big, strong hands. I realize now that the lock was the reason I got the knife so cheap from the B&M in the first place. The knife was a great knife, otherwise. It may be that other XLs are not so difficult to operate.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Doc Dan wrote:I like the lock on my Manix LW, but the one on my particular XL was just too difficult to operate. I say that and I have big, strong hands. I realize now that the lock was the reason I got the knife so cheap from the B&M in the first place. The knife was a great knife, otherwise. It may be that other XLs are not so difficult to operate.
There does seem to be a wide range in spring rates, or it could have something to do with moving parts and friction. My old LW could be unlocked with just my thumb, but none of my G10 models were ever that soft. I've also tried greasing all the contact parts inside the handle where the cage slides and it helps but mostly just to make it smoother, not so much easier.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

Being steel on steel and it needing to roll while being subjected to load in use, I would highly suggest keeping the ball lubricated.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Doc Dan wrote:I like the lock on my Manix LW, but the one on my particular XL was just too difficult to operate. I say that and I have big, strong hands. I realize now that the lock was the reason I got the knife so cheap from the B&M in the first place. The knife was a great knife, otherwise. It may be that other XLs are not so difficult to operate.
I've owned three different XL's and all three broke in to the point I could release the lock with just my thumb. They do seem to start out siffer than the mini Manix in my experience. My DLC XL that's in rotation took two fingers to release when it was new.
:unicorn
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Evil D wrote:You just have to decide which is more important to you, a strong and reliable lock or one that's easy to fidget with while watching TV?
What he said, exactly.
zeus

Post by zeus »

Five years ago I removed the single heavy spring on my 2 XL and replaced it with three lighter springs wound together as one plus went with a ceramic ball replacement. I did some spine whacking and put it in a vise to check to see if the lock would slip and fail, but it held fast and has not failed since then.
That Manix has my EDC since then.
I suspect they use a stiffer spring for liability and safety reasons for the general public.