Sal, please offer Sage1 stealth wire clips for larger knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DansGunBlog

Sal, please offer Sage1 stealth wire clips for larger knives

Post by DansGunBlog »

Sal,

First, love the excellent quality of Spyderco products. :-)

I bought the Sage 1 in large part for it's clip... it has quite possibly the perfect pocket clip for nondescript carry - in that it is stealthy AND deep carry.

From outside the pocket it draws no notice, it could be a money clip. It doesn't shine like the polished hourglass ones do, it just does it's job quietly and well. Most Sage 1 reviews go on and on about how awesome the clip is.

The Sage 1 is an excellent knife, but in carrying it I've found I prefer having a larger, stronger knife. For example, the Resilience, which pairs nicely with a free floating in a pocket Ladybug (love the Ladybug, just reviewed it here).

So I end up carrying my Resilience far more, and looking to get a Military and Manix 2 XL. But the clip on all these is SOOOO obvious and in your face.
1.) Almost an inch of knife rides outside the pocket (the deep carry issue)
2.) The clip is big, shiny, and attention grabbing. It screams "yoohoo! check out the huge knife in my pocket". (the obviousness issue)

Certainly making a default clip that everyone loves is impossible... different people have different requirements and preferences.

The standard clips on the Military / Manix and the Tenacious line are fine...

But offer us a well made Spyderco deep carry stealth clip option to purchase separately. Ideally a wire clip, because all things being equal, it's probably still far more stealth than a toned down huge standard clip. Surely you guys could produce a nice, solid wire clip like the Sage 1 has with the screw formation to fit your main large folders. :-)

Sell it separately, folks would happily pay $15 for the additional deep carry, stealth clip.

I saw your mention in another thread about working on a deep carry clip... that's great news, but if it's still huge and polished and shiny, it only solves half the problem, by being deep carry but still very obvious. Stonewash or something of that sort may help...

This is not about which type of hourglass or whatever clip is better. It's about giving folks the option to carry larger Spyderco folders discreetly, instead of being limited to the smaller ones because of the stealth, deep carry clip.

Thanks!
Dan
Last edited by DansGunBlog on Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Dan's Gun Blogon TwitterBlogPress

"Do. Or do not. There is no Try." -- Yoda
"Be happy, but never satisfied." -- Bruce Lee
sal

Re: Sal, please offer Sage1 stealth wire clips for larger ki

Post by sal »

Hi Dan,

Welcome to our forum and thanx for the suggestions.

Engineering a design to accept both a stamped clip and a wire clip is challenging, but we can consider the possibility on future mpodels.

sal
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

Thanks Sal.

I'm just wondering if there's an option simple enough to be actionable.. a stealth clip that could be attached to the knives already out there, selling today.

Perhaps a stamped clip could be made to have the deep carry as well as stealth qualities of the Sage 1's clip? Just thinking out loud...

Dan

sal

Post by sal »

Hi Dan,

Many of our clips are purpose designed and built for the model. One size does not fit all.

sal
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I wish wire clip was the ONLY option!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Sal did mention in this thread over on BladeForums a few days back that they were working on a design for a "waterfall" style deep carry replacement clip for the most common three screw clip. That's the clip used on the G-10 Manix 2, as well as on the Stretch, ParaMilitary 2, Delica, Endura, Native V, and a host of other models. Perhaps not as "stealthy" as a wire clip but, depending on the finish used, a stamped clip can be fairly inconspicuous if the knife itself is riding deep.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

twinboysdad wrote:I wish wire clip was the ONLY option!
I don't know if I'd go that far, but I definitely PREFER for most of my spydies a less conspicous clip and the black wireless is the best in that regard. That would be what I would chose for most of my spydercos.
adancingmonkey

Post by adancingmonkey »

I would agree, my favourite clip is the wire clip on the sage 1 as well.
Current favorite: Manix 2 with carbon fiber scales and cru-ware.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

While I personally really really reeeeeeally dislike the wire clip (and the immensely ugly gouges it leaves all over the knife), I do agree that deeper carry, non polished would be nice to see on more knives.

The finish on the Bradley Folder is perfect IMO, just need it deeper carry.
v8r

Re: Sal, please offer Sage1 stealth wire clips for larger kn

Post by v8r »

I may be in the minority, but I really dislike wire clips. I also understand that some people may think a "deep carry clip" is necessary for concealability, but I don't buy in to that ideology. If you notice most people are completely unaware of their surroundings. In fact most can't look up from thier cellphones to notice they somehow wandered in to traffic!( I'm joking of course), but I think everyone should know what I'm saying. Is all the talk about deep carry clips and concealability a true issue in some areas or just a myth spread around on the Internet? I guess it just isn't a concern to me if someone knows I have a knife, nor do I care if it bothers them. To me a knife is simply a tool, and is useful in my day to day activities. A deep carry clip makes it more difficult for me to pull my knife from my pocket. Don't get me wrong, if you like a deep carry clip than that is fine. I was just wondering why so many people feel it is necessary?
If someone is worried about my little pocket knife than they would really be worried that I carry a full size 1911 on me at all times as well.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Wire clips are my favourite as well, but on larger knives I prefer the hourglass clip
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

v8r wrote:... I also understand that some people may think a "deep carry clip" is necessary for concealability, ....
I am worried about your CC :)
ok seriously, my preference for a wire clip is not even about deep carry, which can make it difficult to access the knife. It is about conspicuousness - a shiny metal clip draws the eye and attracts attention. I don't want the fact that I have a knife clipped in my pocket to be that in your face. Stamped black or non-reflective clips are definitely an improvement over polished reflective clips, but a solid clip is still a higher contrast object compared to a flat, non-reflective wire. I just don't want to advertise the presence of the knife, not so much hide one via deep carry.
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

v8r wrote:... I carry a full size 1911 on me at all times as well.
LOL where the heck do you comfortably keep a full size 1911? I have still not found a truly comfortable way to carry my own favorite Glock 19 in my pants that doesn't feel like, well, jamming 2 pounds of plastic and steel into your pants. A Remora/sticky holster is probably the closest, but still. Which is why I'm seriously considering the very impressive new Glock 42, even though I prefer to stick with 9mm (not a caliber snob, just like to standardize for practical purposes). Fingers crossed, perhaps we'll see the long awaited single stack 9mm Glock 42 by SHOT 2015, now that they've had time to debug the design with the .380.

Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I do like the darker wire clips better, except say, a titanium handle. I don't really care who sees my clip, but I don't want everyone to "look at me, look at me" either. I think the shiny clips on the Manixes and Natives look spiffy, but so would a darker one, so I don't really know how much I care, if that makes any sense.
- best wishes, Jazz.
knolan

Post by knolan »

Another vote for more black wire clips. It's my favorite too for discreet carry.

Also, and perhaps more importantly, PLEASE (Sal) look into increasing the wire dia. of the clips, or otherwise find a way to increase the grip strength of the wire clips, particularly on certain folders w/smooth Ti scales...e.g., the Techno and Sage 2! Although I managed to bend each of these respective knives clips to some degree to tighten their hold *(IMO the heat shrink tubing mod looks too kluge'y)...however these two folders continue to slide out of various pockets/fabrics/jeans with too much ease, causing me to find my knives on the chair or car seat too often. Thankfully I haven't lost one yet, but am wary of EDC'ing these knives for fear of loss. Maybe my imagination, but the Techno clip seems to have weakened with age/use...hence my attempt to re-tension the clip.
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

While I understand why some people want a deep carry clip that doesn't stand out, it's not something that is a necessity for me. I like the wire clip design for some aspects, but concealability is not one of them. But, I live in a place where seeing a knife clipped to a man's pocket is easily a daily occurrence for me.
adancingmonkey

Post by adancingmonkey »

In Canada one can not carry a knife for defense. It is only a tool, so concealability is a non issue. I like the wire clip because it is simple in design, light weight and unabtrusive.
Current favorite: Manix 2 with carbon fiber scales and cru-ware.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

knolan wrote:Another vote for more black wire clips. It's my favorite too for discreet carry.

Also, and perhaps more importantly, PLEASE (Sal) look into increasing the wire dia. of the clips, or otherwise find a way to increase the grip strength of the wire clips, particularly on certain folders w/smooth Ti scales...e.g., the Techno and Sage 2! Although I managed to bend each of these respective knives clips to some degree to tighten their hold *(IMO the heat shrink tubing mod looks too kluge'y)...however these two folders continue to slide out of various pockets/fabrics/jeans with too much ease, causing me to find my knives on the chair or car seat too often. Thankfully I haven't lost one yet, but am wary of EDC'ing these knives for fear of loss. Maybe my imagination, but the Techno clip seems to have weakened with age/use...hence my attempt to re-tension the clip.
Very good point.
- best wishes, Jazz.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Business casual work environment, it LOOKS better in my slacks with a tucked in shirt than anything else. I am not under the illusion that my co-workers all assume it is a pen. Put a Caly 3.5 in your back pocket and the look is immediately more professional than say the shiny PM2 clip
v8r

Post by v8r »

Dansgunblog,

I carry IWB. With a shirt left untucked, most people have no idea I have a handgun on me. I probably have a permanent indentation in the right side of my hip at this point! I will admit it does take a little getting used to though. The one upside to a 1911 Over most Glocks is that a 1911 is fairly thin in width. This to me is more noticable than the weight.
Back to the subject at hand. I guess the shiny clip doesn't bother me all that much because I tend to like knives that have colorful scales. So a darker colored clip isn't going to make that much of a difference. I just find plain black boring. I do however think the gunmetal finished hourglass clips are quite attractive, but not on all knives. I don't believe a darker color clip goes that well with a blue or Orange Manix 2 for instance. A brushed finish, or tumbled finish on the other hand would.
As far as deep carry.....can't stand it. If there isn't enough of the handle sticking up that I can reliable grab and be able to pull the knife out of my pocket, it will never be carried. My Nilakka is a good example. I love the knife except for one thing. That dang clip sucks. Yes it is attractive, but I feel I am going to rip the entire pocket off my jeans tying to get the thing out of my pocket. This has been my experience with most knives that I have that have "deep carry" clips. I have the same problem with the wire clips. If the knife has G10 scales it's like I'm pulling my pants up like Steve Erkle trying to get my knife out of my pocket.