deciding factors on which knife to buy

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
AFreeman

Post by AFreeman »

I am new to this forum but just curious What makes you want a knife the absolute most?
For me its almost a 50-50 between design and steel.
More so the steel but its really close.
And if I do find a great design I'll buy multiples as long as the steel differs never bought the same knife same steel except with cheaper knives just don't have that kind of disposable income. :mad:
So what is your opinion?
AFreeman

Post by AFreeman »

I am new to this forum but just curious What makes you want a knife the absolute most?
For me its almost a 50-50 between design and steel.
More so the steel but its really close.
And if I do find a great design I'll buy multiples as long as the steel differs never bought the same knife same steel except with cheaper knives just don't have that kind of disposable income. :mad:
So what is your opinion?
farnorthdan

Re: deciding factors on which knife to buy

Post by farnorthdan »

I mostly focus on sprints and exclusives but there are some production models that catch my eye like the manix2 s110v which is just such a great buy for the money, I actually like that one so much I bought a second one. The slysz bowie also was a must have for me. Other production models can wait, of couse I say that now but hanging out here has a way of making me buy knives I never new I wanted.
Last edited by farnorthdan on Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Good question. I'm more like 75% design and 25% steel.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

I started off trying a bit of everything to see what I like best. Titanium framelocks are my favorites and I have selected a few steels I really like. When those come together just right for me, I buy. Otherwise, I buy when a design appeals to me and doesn't have a steel I dislike. For example, I don't like VG-10, 154CM, or S30V all that much. If a knife comes out that makes me curious, I first check to see it isn't using one of those steels. The same applies to handle materials.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yep, I'm about the same. If they put really amazing steel in a design I don't like, chances are good I won'tbuy it, and the same goes for a less than great steel in a design I love. A perfect example of this is the Manix 2 LW...in BD1, not so much but in S110V absolutely.
Gerard Breuker

Post by Gerard Breuker »

I used to buy knives mainly based on design. Just to find out what the knife was about. It left me with many knives I like but rarely if ever use.
Nowadays I buy only a few knives a year and try to focus on knives that are different form the ones I have and I will at least try to carry and use.
So personal preferences in size, weight, pocket clip and clip positions are more important. The way the knife feels and handles has however become the most important factor. In the end my hand decides whether I really want to buy a knife and my bank account then decides if I will.

Forum knives can bypass most of my rules however.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Size is the leading factor for me. Steel and lock type are next
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

Grind is also an important factor to me.
I'd say
Grind : 20%
Steel : 20%
Lock : 10%
Design : 20%
Handle material : 15%
Size : 15%
If it's not polished, call it a saw, not an edge!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I suppose it depends in part on what you think "design" encompasses. IMHO, it encompasses everything except the steel. So, for me, steel is merely the icing on the cake, so as long as we're talking Spyderco knives and stainless steels, it's 100% design. They've never never offered a knife in a low grade "surgical stainless" or "rosterfrei" type steel, so even the least "exotic" of the steels they've used has been more than sufficient for my needs. At the same time, they've yet to produce a knife in a steel that truly excites me. However, as much as I long for a Spyderco in Odin's Eye Damasteel, there are only about half a dozen models I'd actually purchase if they were offered in that steel. OTOH, I'd do be all over a Stretch or bolstered Kiwi with a 1mm thick AUS-6 blade.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Holland

Post by Holland »

A 1 mm thick stretch would be incredible
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Holland wrote:A 1 mm thick stretch would be incredible
yup, i would love to see some super thin blades. A 1 mm or 1.5 mm delica would be amazing too. I love the centofante 3 and 4 with their 2mm stock and would love something even thinner. My only complaint with the centofante models is that they are not ffg. I have grown to really love full flat ground blades and almost exclusively buy them. I still carry my centofante4 very often and it performs exceptionally well.

I am not a steel snob but I enjoy sharpening so I like to try a variety of steels. I will buy a knife partly because I have not used the steel before but otherwise I prefer steels like vg10 and s30v to the newer hyped up super high carbide steels and avoid some of them.

I like variety and unique designs. I bought a carbon fiber balance because it is just too cool and unlike anything else.

I also get caught up in the allure of sprint runs. If there is a sprint of a model that I like then I will usually jump on it.

I buy knives that I like. I know that is totally subjective and even I am not sure what makes some knives appeal to me more than others.

I still can't shake my bias for tip down carry and while it will not stop me from buying a knife it certainly does have an impact on my desicion. Absolutly love my Sage3 and have it on me right now so tip up is doable just not preferred.

To sum it up, mostly design but I do like to try out a variety of steels. Steel will never make or break a desicion to buy a knife that I believe will work well for my needs or that appeals to me in some way.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

1.. Cost
2.. Design
3.. Size

Cost wins all the time here!! John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

I used to be all about the steels, then I got into customs and high end midtechs. Now I look at the overall package much more. In production knives however, I still obviously prefer a a crazy steel.