Soap and water cleaning

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: Soap and water cleaning

Post by JD Spydo »

gijoe945 wrote:Iv'e collected knives since 1958 and only once during a fishing trip, I let my knife rust. Didn't hurt only cosmetically and polished up with just a small pit. Use naval jelly to stop rust in its tracks, then treat with Flitz.
Hey "gijoe" that's good advice on that FLITZ>> the polish is just great but they also have a metal wax I've used on firearms and it works great.

Also after cleaning any of the commercial spray lubes are usually good to displace moisture while coating the vulnerable metal parts. But HEY it's like they say>> "There's More Than One Way To Skin A Cat" and there must be dozens of way to prevent rust in moving parts or parts that have small recesses in them.

Many of the spray teflon lubes work good for me and they don't tend to attrack dirt and lint like wet lubes like WD40 and so forth.
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

Whew, what an adventure. I hate it when threads like this aren't updated with a resolution, so I've been keeping this tab open all this time waiting to update. I'll also put this post in the OP so people don't have to read through all these pages.

So I contacted Charlynn, and she indicated that this might not be the expected performance of the knife, but that the stop pin could not be sent out I'd have to return the knife. Alrighty, no biggie, sent it in. She asked if I'd mind if they upgraded the screws to the new black screws, which I didn't mind, so they did that. There was originally a nominal fee, which I believe was 5$ or something, but they waived it because Charlynn discovered a lockup issue. Apparently, under a spine whack, the lock would disengage. However, she said she couldn't address that, and it had to be sent elsewhere in Spyderco for tuning. A few weeks later I get the knife back and the lockup issue is, apparently, fixed but the stop pin is the same and still has corrosion on it.

Couple emails sent to Charlynn, who was out of the office for a few weeks there, and eventually I get a hold of her. She is apologetic, and sends me a return label. Knife is sent back, lather, rinse, repeat.

Knife comes back to me today. New stop pin, earlier lockup, super smooth action, and it looks like someone cleaned it while it was there too. I'm certainly happy. :D
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

hunterseeker5 wrote: Knife comes back to me today. New stop pin, earlier lockup, super smooth action, and it looks like someone cleaned it while it was there too. I'm certainly happy. :D
While I can understand such an adventure would be frustrating and isn't ideal, from a practical perspective I respect the honest intention of customer service to provide satisfaction even if the implementation is (as we all are unfortunately) less than ideal.
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

Cliff Stamp wrote:
hunterseeker5 wrote: Knife comes back to me today. New stop pin, earlier lockup, super smooth action, and it looks like someone cleaned it while it was there too. I'm certainly happy. :D
While I can understand such an adventure would be frustrating and isn't ideal, from a practical perspective I respect the honest intention of customer service to provide satisfaction even if the implementation is (as we all are unfortunately) less than ideal.
Agreed. Hence why I'm not unhappy. This W&R/CS end of things is devilishly complicated and difficult to manage. How many knives do you think Charlynn handles in a day? Belonging to how many people? I suspect this is particularly difficult because Spyderco does not externally serialize their cutlery, so how on earth do you keep track of all the different names, people, knives, problems, etc in this situation? If you could create an internal ticket which linked knife 359081 to user Tom Thompson of 305 Newark Drive that needs a new ball detent set that'd be one thing, and still a headache, but spyderco doesn't even have that to benefit them. How they handle it I have no idea.