When is the Military 2 coming out?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DansGunBlog

When is the Military 2 coming out?

Post by DansGunBlog »

Any updates on when the Military 2 will be coming out? Thanks!
Dan's Gun Blogon TwitterBlogPress

"Do. Or do not. There is no Try." -- Yoda
"Be happy, but never satisfied." -- Bruce Lee
Peter1960

Re: When is the Military 2 coming out?

Post by Peter1960 »

I can tell it to you: Nobody knows, but it is assumed that it will be in due time my friend, in due time :)
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

As far as I know, it's one of those "still in the pipeline but on a back burner" projects. If you're thinking about a Military but don't want to buy one and have the Military2 come out a month later, relax. It won't be this year. I'd bet against next year as well.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Seems to me it's a matter of "don't fix it if it ain't broken", since there aren't many things you could improve on the original. I know personally the addition of full liners is gonna be a downer for me, even if it doesn't add more weight. Really the only thing I'd want changed is larger scale screws.
Invective

Post by Invective »

Evil D wrote:Seems to me it's a matter of "don't fix it if it ain't broken", since there aren't many things you could improve on the original. I know personally the addition of full liners is gonna be a downer for me, even if it doesn't add more weight. Really the only thing I'd want changed is larger scale screws.
Make the lanyard hole bigger and the Spydie hole ever so slightly larger (I can't tell for certain but I'm pretty my 440V SE Millie has a larger hole and I never remember to measure it oops) on top of larger body screws and it'd be perfect.

And I can't be sure but I think the full liners is being done to accommodate more pocket clip orientations, but for me personally, RH tip down is the natural pocket carry for the Millie.
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

Yeah, everyone seems to love their Military, and I do plan on getting one... currently trying to decide between then Manix 2 XL and the Military (starting a separate topic on that)...

Just hesitant on the Military because I figure it's due for a refresh soon... it's not been updated in a long time since release (how many years?), and for such a popular model, it's probably getting a lot of little enhancements like Spyderco has rolled out on their other top tier knives, like the PM2 for example... i.e the items mentioned above, 4-way clip position option, bigger lanyard hole, body screws, possibly an enhanced choil, etc.

Maybe we'll even get a low profile deep carry clip? I would LOVE to see one of those excellent wire clips like the Sage/Caly have... even extra cost accessories as an option.

mikeh99

Post by mikeh99 »

The already mentioned larger lanyard hole would be a plus and, as a lefty, four way clip. Guess the four way would mean liners too. But I have to say it is a great knife right now.
paladin

Post by paladin »

Aforementioned larger hardware & larger diameter lanyard hole would be most welcome to me...

The proposed Stop Lock could be a game changer!!!
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

DansGunBlog wrote:Just hesitant on the Military because I figure it's due for a refresh soon...
I'd honestly be surprised if we see a new version of the military anytime soon, but I've been surprised before.

I see the military as one of those timeless designs that just plain works and tend to fall in the "don't fix it if it ain't broke" camp. It's strange, I prefer tip up, deep carry clips but wouldn't want to change the one on the Millie.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the Military if you decide to get one.
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

I'd be disappointed with 4 way clip holes and added liners. The light weight of the Milie makes it for me, for its size.

The fact that it only has one clip configuration is fine. People who dont like it wont buy it, but changing the whole design and weight by adding liners? No thanks.

Military will ALWAYS have its customer base who are just fine with one sided, tip down carry and I personally feel it should stay that way.

I HOPE they keep the big triangular clip, and not use the hourglass. Doesnt fit the design IMO.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It has been said that the military will stay in production after the military2 comes out.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If this stop lock in any way resembles a back block, I'll be passing on the knife entirely.
FDE

Post by FDE »

Evil D wrote:Seems to me it's a matter of "don't fix it if it ain't broken", since there aren't many things you could improve on the original. I know personally the addition of full liners is gonna be a downer for me, even if it doesn't add more weight. Really the only thing I'd want changed is larger scale screws.
What would be the downer if it doesn't add weight??
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

Can't say I care either way what lock it gets... seems all the major Spyderco locks work great for locking the knife. Liner lock is fine, got a Sage 1 and Resilience with it, both work great.

PM2 style compression lock might be nice since your fingers are not in the way of the blade... but whatever. Long as it opens very smoothly, it's all good.

On the topic of lock strength, found this video was to be very insightful. Again, referring to quality lock implementations as employed by Spderco...
(embed not working, video is here: http://youtu.be/Wip5MAz_i-I" target="_blank )

Zenith

Post by Zenith »

I love my Military as is and very glad Sal mentioned the original would stay in production even if the Military 2 comes out.

I have no problem fitting 550 cord through the current Military lanyard hole. That is good enough for me.
Carboni

Post by Carboni »

+1 for larger handle screws.
Also a pivot bushing on every version.

That being said, the current models are incredible tools. I've rotated through soo many spydies and liked them all, the yojimbo 2 and para 2 are sweet, but the milli just keeps coming back to my pocket every day.
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

Bigger screws are a good idea and then maybe it could be made open-backed handle, but I don't care about four-position clip and bigger lanyard hole. I just hope they keep it as light as possible even with that stop lock... the current liner lock never gave me a single problem.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

FDE wrote:
What would be the downer if it doesn't add weight??

I like simplicity. If I had it my way there would only be a very select few G10 knives with full liners. I also like that with solid G10 scales, I have the option of tweaking the shape if I choose to, which becomes very limited with full liners.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

This is a good point. Modding is made much easier if you don't have to pocket the scale to match the liner.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

There are several knives that are considered overbuilt, like Striders, the DPX Hest and a few others that have solid G10 on the show side and these are indeed very stout folders. I think it would be great to see solid G10 liners for the non locking side scale on models like the Military and PM2. It seems to me that this would not only have the benefit of reducing weight, but it could also cut down on manufacturing costs as there would be fewer parts and less machine time.