Lum Tanto sprint handle material change

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Blueboost

Lum Tanto sprint handle material change

Post by Blueboost »

I was interested in learning how many units were made of the Lum fixed blade sprint in total per handle material. I believe it was supposed to be 600 knife run total, however, the G10 version details state only 600 will be made. What we know is Spyderco started the sprint run with paperstone, then switched to G10 due to issues working with the paperstone. Being such a collectible knife, this change mid-production run could influence future value quite a bit. I would love to get an idea how many paperstone units were made, and how many G10 were made.
jabba359

Re: Lum Tanto sprint handle material change

Post by jabba359 »

Typically, the sprint runs out of Japan are runs of 1200 pieces. If that holds true, then it would seem that the Lum Tanto was split 50/50 between the burgundy paperstone and the black/green G-10 versions.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Blueboost

Post by Blueboost »

If that is the case, theres only 600 paperstone Lum sprint units in existence. Potentially this could become a very rare and sought after piece.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Blueboost,

I believe Jabba is correct. There were about 600 each. I'm sure they will be rare simply because it's a Bob Lum design, made to a high quality with a good steel, and Bob Lum has passed. Very few made to go around the world.

Hi Lisaa,

Welcome to our forum. I think you might have posted on the wrong thread?

Also our company has grown quite a bit in the past 10 years, almost 70 in Golden.

sal
Blueboost

Post by Blueboost »

Thanks for the reply Sal. :spyder:
Crazy Fox

Post by Crazy Fox »

At the Spyderco sale last month I was about to check out when I picked up one of these fixed blades in G-10. I really didn't want to buy more, but the design felt and looked so great that I added one to my basket.

I slightly prefer the way the "grain" of the G-10 scales compliments the contours of that particular blade, but paperstone is a nice material and I would have bought both if I could have.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Crazy Fox wrote:At the Spyderco sale last month I was about to check out when I picked up one of these fixed blades in G-10. I really didn't want to buy more, but the design felt and looked so great that I added one to my basket.

I slightly prefer the way the "grain" of the G-10 scales compliments the contours of that particular blade, but paperstone is a nice material and I would have bought both if I could have.
I ended up picking up a Paperstone one at the sale, mostly because it had a sheath and I don't have any other knives in that handle material. I also had a G-10 one in my basket, but put it back. Now I really wish I had bought it as well. I think there were still a few left at the end of the sale, so if I make it out to the next one I'll try to acquire a G-10 version.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

I am very glad I have one of the paperstone. I love the design and it is one of the finer spydies I have experienced. I wish I could get my hands on the folder, too!
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I just got my G-10 Lum Tanto FB yesterday, and there is quite a difference in the handle compared to the Paperstone. The G-10 version feels heavier, more substantial, and more secure in hand. The G-10, though smooth, has a nice grippiness to it. The Paperstone handle seems thinner, and is much slicker.

Both are excellent, but I'm very pleased with the G-10 version of this knife. It looks great, and is a joy to hold in hand. I'm very grateful to have both versions. I love Bob Lum's Tanto designs.

No pics at the moment, maybe I'll take some tomorrow.
:bug-red-white
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Just a couple quick pictures of appreciation for the Lum Tantos!

:bug-red-white