How many edge touchups before you back bevel again?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bolster

How many edge touchups before you back bevel again?

Post by Bolster »

My question is for folks who follow a similar sharpening strategy: I set a back bevel on a knife with an Edgepro or a Lansky, often these are around 12 degrees per side. Then I use the Sharpmaker to set the actual edge at 15 degrees per side. (Those numbers often go up to 15/20 d.p.s. for hard use fixed blade knives.)

This strategy allows quick touchups on the Sharpmaker. My question is:

"How many Sharpmaker touch-ups do you expect to get, on average, before you have to re-set the back bevel?"

I'm asking, because I'm not getting as many touch-ups as I'd like. I'm resetting the back-bevel more often than I'd prefer.
Last edited by Bolster on Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ankerson

Re: How many edge touchups before you back bevel again?

Post by Ankerson »

It will vary...

Once the edge retention starts to fall off noticeably compared to what it was then it's time to refresh the edge.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

OK, it varies, but it varies between what and what? Give me a range, here.

I want to compare your numbers against mine.

Seems to me I'm getting maybe a half-dozen re-sharpenings before I have to reset the back-bevel. That seems low.
Last edited by Bolster on Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
paladin

Post by paladin »

around half a dozen or so...depends on a lot of factors, however...

how intense a particular job was, material cut, etc...

I nearly always use my loupe to check the bevels and then assess...

but on average, yup, about 5 or 6 sessions on the 40 deg. slots
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Bolster wrote:OK, it varies, but it varies between what and what? Give me a range, here.

I want to compare your numbers against mine.

It will scatter all over the place....

Each time you touch up the edge it will lose sharpness faster than the last time....

So like I said it depends...
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

paladin wrote:around half a dozen or so...but on average, yup, about 5 or 6 sessions on the 40 deg. slots
Oh! Well then, I guess I'm in the normal range.

Somewhere I got the idea I should be getting more re-sharpenings than that.

Thanks for the info.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Ankerson wrote:It will scatter all over the place....So like I said it depends...
So, somewhere between 1 and 1000? That would be all over the place, I guess.
paladin

Post by paladin »

Bolster wrote:
paladin wrote:around half a dozen or so...but on average, yup, about 5 or 6 sessions on the 40 deg. slots
Oh! Well then, I guess I'm in the normal range.

Somewhere I got the idea I should be getting more re-sharpenings than that.

Thanks for the info.
Whoa there...my sharpening habits have been called a lot of things, but "normal" usually is not one of the descriptors... :eek:

You might want to get a wider sampling than just one amateur's experiences such as myself...

I got pretty good (for my purposes) at testing/judging how well it cut phonebook paper & newsprint to decide whether or not to chase the shoulder back up the primary grind...

The feel + the cleaness of the slice in the paper was all I'd used to judge by...then I'd set the edge on my thumbnail to test the apex....and finally, I'd shave some forearm hair just to satisfy myself :) ...

The loupe helped me to "know" or get a better idea what the bevels were actually looking like...

But I still go thru the ritual listed above anyway, time permitting :p
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

paladin wrote:You might want to get a wider sampling than just one amateur's experiences such as myself...
That's the whole point of this thread, Paladin! You're the only guy who has give quantitative data so far. So, given the current dataset, we define "normal."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I can only partly answer, as I don't use a Sharpmaker. However, when I sharpen on my Edge Pro, I don't ever do "touch ups", I always remove the old edge by cutting into a fine grit stone and then bring the edge back by hitting the same angle as the bevel. I make a few passes at the end at just a degree or two higher than the bevel, probably not enough to call it a micro bevel. In the past I've tried doing the 30/40 thing but once I can see the 40 my OCD takes over and I always get rid of it anyway.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I am setting up edge at 13-14 degrees per side and than microbevel @ 20 per side on Sharpmaker. I never counted how many sharpenings and have between reprofiling. When edge retention is noticeably shorter or sharpening time noticeable longer, that it is time to reprofile.
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

Doing 7 to 9 dps bevel on edge pro then setting a something looking like a micro at 13-15 dps. no more then 2 touch up, usually only 1.
If it's not polished, call it a saw, not an edge!
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Wow, only 1-2 touchups. Well, clearly I was not being realistic. Thanks!

So the norm has move down a bit, averaging 4-5 across the three of us who gave numbers.
paladin

Post by paladin »

Evil D wrote:However, when I sharpen on my Edge Pro, I don't ever do "touch ups", I always remove the old edge by cutting into a fine grit stone and then bring the edge back by hitting the same angle as the bevel.
I've heard you and others talk about "resetting" the edge like this...

I think I'll try it next time my Caly Jr. needs sharpening...

I am too often reluctant to try something new if I've got a process that "works for me..."

But it sounds like this may be a better way...

David, would you get better results by "dulling" the edge on the med. Sharpmaker hone, or too aggressive?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

paladin wrote:
Evil D wrote:However, when I sharpen on my Edge Pro, I don't ever do "touch ups", I always remove the old edge by cutting into a fine grit stone and then bring the edge back by hitting the same angle as the bevel.
I've heard you and others talk about "resetting" the edge like this...

I think I'll try it next time my Caly Jr. needs sharpening...

I am too often reluctant to try something new if I've got a process that "works for me..."

But it sounds like this may be a better way...

David, would you get better results by "dulling" the edge on the med. Sharpmaker hone, or too aggressive?
You'll likely get the same results but do more damage to the edge that you'll end up repairing anyway, if that makes sense. The point is to remove the old distressed metal at the very edge.
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

Bolster wrote: Seems to me I'm getting maybe a half-dozen re-sharpenings before I have to reset the back-bevel. That seems low.
Why are you having to reset the back bevel exactly? What exactly do you do when you sharpen the knife on the Sharpmaker?
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Once I set my bevel at about 18 degrees I use a kitchen steel. Generally don't have to sharpen again for about 4-6 months and I steel the edge daily.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I would think you would get a wide range of answers because everyone has a different idea of what a "touch up" is and how often a knife needs one. Personally I am pretty "fussy about sharp" (phil Wilson quote) so I will touch my knives up sometimes daily depending on how much use they are getting. But my "touch up" might consist of 6-8 passes on the sm. So I can do a lot more than 5-6 before I need to re bevel. Probably well over 20.
paladin

Post by paladin »

Evil D wrote: You'll likely get the same results but do more damage to the edge that you'll end up repairing anyway, if that makes sense. The point is to remove the old distressed metal at the very edge.
Yup, makes total sense...thanks! :spyder: :)
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Surfingringo wrote:I would think you would get a wide range of answers because everyone has a different idea of what a "touch up" is and how often a knife needs one. Personally I am pretty "fussy about sharp" (phil Wilson quote) so I will touch my knives up sometimes daily depending on how much use they are getting. But my "touch up" might consist of 6-8 passes on the sm. So I can do a lot more than 5-6 before I need to re bevel. Probably well over 20.
Good point, I'm likely tolerating less than ideal sharpness on my work knives. My use is mostly contractor's work, and a Sharpmaker resharpening might take me 20 passes +/- 10. When I do 50 passes and I'm not sharp enough, I get exasperated, swap out for a sharper knife in the drawer, and reset the back bevel when I have time.

But yes, I can see how you could go 20 resharpenings if they were light. Note: for you it's 20 resharps x 6 passes = 120, and for me it's 6 resharps x 20 passes = 120! So you and I may both be making around the same number of passes before resetting the back bevel.