Handled Tatanka...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Battlex1

Re: Handled Tatanka...

Post by Battlex1 »

Spyderco/Sal, thank you for building my dream knife! I personally have no need for small folders, much preferring Endura/Manix XL/Resilience sized knives. My first post here in this forum was in a thread four years ago discussing large folders. I wrote at that time the following...

"Sal, your positive attitude and excellent knives have earned my respect, and as a result Spydies are the only knives I will carry. With that said, I have wished for a large Spyderco folder (4.5" - 5.5" inch blade) for years, but always find myself looking at other companies that build folders of that size.
IMO, a folder that marries the attributes of the Endura, Military, and Manix with a 5" blade, G-10 handle, MBC strength lock, blade shape of the Military/Manix in PE or SE would be my dream knife. It would fulfill all of my needs, from cutting rope, to self defense, to camping, etc. I feel that a well executed large folder performs on par with a small fixed blade, and is much easier to have with me at all times. Thanks."

I have been waiting patiently for years since the first rumors of the "Bison". Seeing the Tatanka in its final form is nothing short of amazing!! I can't wait until mine arrives. Bravo, Spyderco! :) :spyder:
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I'll be getting one soon i personally love my Szabo. Just bought something non spyderco recently though and i'm trying not to blow too much on knives. I'd like to put this knife through it's paces thats for sure. I'm curious about this Power lock and such a nice offering from spyderco. I'm pretty confident in the VG-10 i'm just wondering what this lock is capable of
Bugout Bill

Post by Bugout Bill »

I like the design, but I would really like to know what this beast was intended to do.

Who designed it by the way?
" Two guns, flashlight, two 12-gauge cartridges, and a knife because—just because—every little boy should have a knife.." -- Louis Awerbuck on his EDC
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

[quote="Bugout Bill"]I like the design, but I would really like to know what this beast was intended to do.

Main issue item to the Federal Anti Vampire-squad:

http://www.fvza.org/" target="_blank

;O)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

sal wrote:Part of the project was to test the lock in a model. We plan smaller models with the lock.
Would a smaller model be a miniaturized version of the Tatanka, or an entirely new model, or a "retrofitted" existing model (like a Native)? Or all of the above? Whatever, consider me grateful for (and sold on) any smaller Spydie sporting a Power Lock. What a fascinating bit of engineering, Sal!
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I applaud anyone who carries a knife this size tip up. Seems kinda crazy to me to intentionally position your hand that far from the thumb hole when drawing the knife from your pocket. I prefer tip up in everything but large knife like this where my thumb is right there by the hole when carried tip down.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

wrdwrght wrote:
sal wrote:Part of the project was to test the lock in a model. We plan smaller models with the lock.
Would a smaller model be a miniaturized version of the Tatanka, or an entirely new model, or a "retrofitted" existing model (like a Native)? Or all of the above? Whatever, consider me grateful for (and sold on) any smaller Spydie sporting a Power Lock. What a fascinating bit of engineering, Sal!
This knife wouldn't be hard to shrink down if one were so inclined. You could easily grind off some handle and some blade and make a more average sized knife.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Jazz wrote:Someone please tell me what the point of a pocketknife that ridiculously big is.
I like to think it will slice through cantaloupe in one push cut! :D
It's not my taste, but a coworker of mine has been anxious to get one since he saw Wouter's pictures. Different strokes.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I want to see that video, Landon. :cool:
- best wishes, Jazz.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Battlex1,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
sal

Post by sal »

Bugout Bill wrote:I like the design, but I would really like to know what this beast was intended to do.

Who designed it by the way?
Hi Bill,

It's designed to be a large folder. My design.

sal
Bugout Bill

Post by Bugout Bill »

Sal: It is an interesting design, I think you succeeded at your goal.

It will be interesting to see how the new lock design pans out.
" Two guns, flashlight, two 12-gauge cartridges, and a knife because—just because—every little boy should have a knife.." -- Louis Awerbuck on his EDC
euphorbioid

Post by euphorbioid »

sal wrote:
It's designed to be a large folder. My design.

sal
I think we can agree the goal was accomplished 100%. Now just shrink it down to a 3.5 inch blade and carbon fiber handle and I'd be first in line. Thanks, Sal, for dreaming this up. Very cool
Jan
lpc

Post by lpc »

After receiving my Tatanka I decided to take a picture with it, my LH Military and my other large folders.

Left to Right: LH Military, Tatanka, REKAT Sifu, REKAT Sifu D2, Cold Steel Voyager, SOG Pentagon II and Camillus CUDA 7". All the knives felt noticeably lighter except for the Camillus.
Last edited by lpc on Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

That looks really interesting. Will be interesting to see comments in use. I always liked the Military, not the lock.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

The Military looks about the size of a Dragonfly in that pic!
:bug-red-white
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

Part of the project was to greate a fixed blade size knife that would carry in a smaller package. I used a fixed blade design and modified it to be a folder.

Part of it was to create a very large strong folder with a strong tip and a tough steel that could perform many of the tasks of a fixed blade.

sal
Excellent. Blade length is 5"... Texas legal limit is currently 5.5". As of last legislature switchblades are now legal, and there's good hope to jettison the length limits along with other bs pre-emptive laws where no crime has occurred, alongside hopefully Constitutional Carry coming in 2015.

Very intrigued to handle one of these... at 11.5", it's just half an inch shorter than my KABAR BK7 fixed blade, and weighs only slightly less... and has that excellent 50/50 choil.

Dan
Last edited by DansGunBlog on Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan's Gun Blogon TwitterBlogPress

"Do. Or do not. There is no Try." -- Yoda
"Be happy, but never satisfied." -- Bruce Lee
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

lpc wrote:After receiving my Tatanka I decided to take a picture with it, my LH Military and my other large folders.

Left to Right: LH Military, Tatanka, REKAT Sifu, REKAT Sifu D2, Cold Steel Voyager, SOG Pentagon II and Camillus CUDA 7". All the knives felt noticeably lighter except for the Camillus.
Well seeing it beside the Military and Sifu certainly puts it into perspective for me.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

Whoa. Thanks for the pics next to the Milli. That brings it home in terms of how big this knife is. I think I like it. I don't know if I would have a use for it. I may have to come up with one...
wrdwrght

Power Lock questions for owners and Sal

Post by wrdwrght »

Pardon the bump but I have two questions for participants in this thread.

Tatanka owners/handlers: How does the Power Lock compare to other Spyderco lockbacks? Easily disengaged? Any up-and-down play?

Sal: Rumor has it the next Chinook will have a Power Lock. Any truth here? Are you considering a Power Lock for smaller (<3.5 inch blade) knives, or do you regard this lock as overkill in such knives?
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”