Original Worker C01 Left handed

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mikeh99

Original Worker C01 Left handed

Post by mikeh99 »

Was there ever an original left handed C01 worker? I thought I saw something about it but it does not appear in the wiki. If so what is the model number? Any idea how many were made?
Thanks.
shunsui

Re: Original Worker C01 Left handed

Post by shunsui »

This is an old 1982 price list showing a left hand model and model number.
PS any Wiki guys out there, feel free to use this.

IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Thx for sharing!!! This is an awesone document, the oldest Spydie pricelist I have seen!
Holland

Post by Holland »

Wow that document is crazy cool! Thanks for sharing it!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

A left handed 2 screw Worker sold on EBay in July for $710.
mikeh99

Post by mikeh99 »

Thanks everyone especially shunsui. Where did you dig that price list up (and my wife says I'm the one who never throws anything away).
I might have to rethink this quest, $700!
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

mikeh99 wrote:I might have to rethink this quest, $700!
Thats the quest, finding one for a descent price. Buying at rediculous prices is easy, finding the grail for a sweet price is the challenge :D
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I know that they had left handed versions of the POLICE and MARINER models because I've owned both of those. And if my memory serves me well I believe at one time they even had a left handed version of the Civilian and I believe it was one of the Tufram models.

This is a question for the DEACON because he is left handed and I think he actually has a list of every left handed Spyder they ever made. He also owns quite a few lefty models and he is the one that can tell you what is considered "lefty friendly" out of all the Spyderco folders. Also I do believe at one time I had a left handed model of the Military model>> it's been years but I do think I had one once. Spyderco is one of the few commercial knife companies I know of that makes folders specifically for southpaws

One of my best all time folders in which I traded was a left handed, Carbon Fiber POLICE model. You sure don't see many of those around today>> that was one gorgeous folder :cool:

I can't believe someone bidded that two screw WORKER model up to $710 :eek: I'm beginning to wonder what some of David Yellowhorse's custom Spyders might end up going for. Also I believe that some of the H-1 Salt Series was offered in left hand at one time too. Great Thread!! very entertaining ;)
mikeh99

Post by mikeh99 »

I actually have a left handed SS Police and Military (one of my favorites). I'm receiving the Worker sprint tomorrow and got this bug to get an original left handed version but not for $700+. Way too steep for me. Wonder how many were made? Deacon?
rycen

Post by rycen »

As for how many were made no one probably has an actual number. If I had to make some kind of guess I'd say half or less of what was made of the right-handed version.

Also interesting fact is that Sal's wife is left handed I believe.
bengaiser

Post by bengaiser »

aquaman67 wrote:A left handed 2 screw Worker sold on EBay in July for $710.
And that price didn't include the original box (and/or paperwork if there even was any back then), just the knife.
bengaiser

Post by bengaiser »

JD Spydo wrote:I... I believe at one time they even had a left handed version of the Civilian and I believe it was one of the Tufram models.
The only left handed variant of the Civilian I'm aware of is the limited run they did in CF (all four variants were produced, R/L, PE/SE).

The Matriarch (which shares the same model number) also supports left handed carry by use of the old bolt style clip, though the serrations are all ground right handed on these.
mikeh99

Post by mikeh99 »

rycen wrote:As for how many were made no one probably has an actual number. If I had to make some kind of guess I'd say half or less of what was made of the right-handed version.

Also interesting fact is that Sal's wife is left handed I believe.
So that is where he gets his inspiration from. Good for them.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bengaiser wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:I... I believe at one time they even had a left handed version of the Civilian and I believe it was one of the Tufram models.
The only left handed variant of the Civilian I'm aware of is the limited run they did in CF (all four variants were produced, R/L, PE/SE).

The Matriarch (which shares the same model number) also supports left handed carry by use of the old bolt style clip, though the serrations are all ground right handed on these.
That doesn't surprise me because two of the left handed Spyders I ever had were both from that original, first run, glossy Carbon Fiber from the early to mid 2000s. So that would make sense. But I could swear I saw one of those Tufram model in LH??

I'm also guessing that the original thought behind the barrel-bolt clips was to make it left hand, right hand versatile. But then again there were some G-10 models like my Sprint Ayoob which could be put on either side.
sal

Post by sal »

We made 20% of the first run 1200 pcs left handed. 240 pcs.

sal
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

mikeh99 wrote:...Where did you dig that price list up (and my wife says I'm the one who never throws anything away).
It was in a file folder with Sharpmaker instruction manuals I've got. I've got one of the old 40 degree only sharpmakers with the leather roll case.

A friend of mine used to drag me to the San Diego County Fair each June. Spyderco (Golden Promotions) was always there selling Sharpmakers and their various sharpening stones. They put on a pretty good show demonstrating the Sharpmaker and sharpening knives for free. I'm not sure who was working the booth, but they were all a great bunch of people (really).

That particular year, they had a new knife to sell.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

sal wrote:We made 20% of the first run 1200 pcs left handed. 240 pcs.

sal
Sal, am I correct that if the clipped closed blade is towards the rear seam of the right front pocket it's a right handed model; and if the closed blade is towards the rear seam of the left front pocket it's a left handed model ?
sal

Post by sal »

They were designed so that the right hand model went inside the rear of the pocket with the closed blade forward. They were tip down only and only had two screws in the clip. The left hand version was to go inside of the left front pocket with the closed blade forward.

This permitted pulling the knife out one handed and opening with the thumb in the hole, or pulling the knife out of the pocket, placing the thumb and forefinger into the hole, and snap the handle down to deploy the blade.

That's a nice old sharpener you have there. I was one of the demonstrators (pitchman) showing the tool at the Del Mar Fair each year. My wife Gail also demo'd the tool.

sal
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Those were the days. Thanks for the info.

Here's a pic of my old right handed Worker along with the new G10 Version.
mikeh99

Post by mikeh99 »

sal wrote:This permitted pulling the knife out one handed and opening with the thumb in the hole, or pulling the knife out of the pocket, placing the thumb and forefinger into the hole, and snap the handle down to deploy the blade.

sal
I had never tried (or heard of) that technique but just did it with my Military, cool. I don't mind tip down as much. Thanks for the tip.
Mike