Slysz Bowie: Impressions, Comparisons, and Review

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Able Dog

Re: Slysz Bowie: Impressions, Comparisons, and Review

Post by Able Dog »

Thanks for the review, the in-hand and comparison shots helped a lot. This is the size of knife I am increasingly finding to be my favorite.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Great overview of a great knife. This almost convinced me, but I've got a Manix2 which this seems to be similar in size to it, and as much as I love this design and it's similarities to the Techno I've also got, I opted to go for a Farid K-2 to give me another choice as far as size goes. Also I want to try out the 10V! But again this was a great review and assortment of comparison pics. Can't wait for my new knife to arrive, and this one may still make it's way into the collection at some point too!
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

Much was made of the handle contouring on that knife, can you readily notice that in use?
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

I wasn't drawed to the bowie look at first, but the great review/picture made me think it might not be what I was thinking. I think Cliff also brings an interesting question. Anyone that has both the K2 and bowie would compare how it felt in hand with some moderate and hard cutting? How much does handle contouring help when pushing your knife harder then say cardboard use? More information is always good!
If it's not polished, call it a saw, not an edge!
Studey

Post by Studey »

The handle contouring is immediately noticeable in hand. I did a little whittling with it and yeah, it's pretty comfortable. Your hand bears down on the contoured slabs as opposed to the corners/edges of the handle like a flat-slabbed knife. I handled a K2 this weekend, and the difference is readily apparent. K2 does have sharpish edges on the handles, Slysz Bowie melts into your hand much more.
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

Thanks. Will definitly have to try to handle one.
If it's not polished, call it a saw, not an edge!
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I've got the Farid and the Techno and both felt a little uncomfortable in hand at first. The Techno now feels great in hand ,(now that I've been carrying it instead of my Manix2 for a while) and especially in use. The Farid feels great in use but still a bit awkward in hand when just holding it. The Slysz Bowie looks more ergonomic to me but I wish I could hold one to see how it sits in my hand as it does look a bit small in some pics and vids. Hopefully someone I know gets one before temptation gets to me and I buy it anyway!
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Mine arrived today and it is flawless. Almost too perfect :p
Poor pic:

The cutout and clip position make it snag a bit when pulling it out of the pocket (like the Techno when in a watch pocket), but that is my only niggle with it (along with the blade shape where the swedge ends)
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

I must say for the people who are looking at these pics . Every time i am playing with mine and comparing him to the pics i can tell you in real life there even more beautyfull and stunning... :)
TBob

Post by TBob »

Great review, thanks! I already wanted one since seeing Wouter's initial thoughts from the show, but this review solidified my desire. My Slysz Bowie arrived today and I am very happy with it. The size is about perfect for my hands, and the contoured edges provide a very comfortable grip. The rock-solid lock and FFG blade profile will make it a great slicer, and the contour at the top of the blade is very nicely done. The fit and finish are typical of the excellent work done in Taichung. This, the Southard Black Blade, and the Starmate will be my three primary working EDCs for quite a while. I still love the flipper on the Southard.
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

I have had my Slysz Bowie for two weeks now and my initial impression was WOW! Now that I am no longer in the new knife phase of ownership I have two complaints about the knife.

1. My biggest complaint is with the clip/lock bar cutout. Due to where the lock bar cut out is located and the length/design of the clip it hangs up on my pocket when removing the knife. The only positive is that it adds to retention in the pocket helping to prevent accidental removal.

2. Location/style of spyder hole. It may just be me but it is difficult to deploy the blade due to how recessed the spyder hole is into the knife scale. I can live with this issue but I have grown accustomed to the second nature most Spyderco knives deploy. I noticed friends I have handed the knife over to for inspection having the same issue with blade deployment. Not something you see when you hand over a Para2 or Delica/Stretch/Endura, etc... If this was the only Spyderco I carried I would become accustomed to deploying the blade with better ease but as it stands I have a large rotation and once the newness wears off it will become part of the rotation.

Negatives aside it is a spectacular knife from a fit and finish perspective. I would consider the execution of the knife to be on par with top customs.
Kurniadion

Post by Kurniadion »

I heard some review that it's not as smooth as other Taiwan Spydies from the factory and pivot adjustment may be needed?

About clip, nemo switched it with longer MANIX 2 LW longer clip.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Mine was perfectly smooth, centered and has needed no adjustment..
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

NoFair wrote:Mine was perfectly smooth, centered and has needed no adjustment..
Ditto. My lockbar needed a bit of break-in, but that's it. It's no longer sticky at all, opens really smoothly, and is well centered. I'm finding an upswept bowie blade shape to be less effective for EDC purposes than other shapes, but it's a great knife.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Is there no over travel for the lock?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Mine was adjusted perfectly out of the box too. As far as I can tell, there's no over travel stop.
:bug-red-white
tomciopaluch357

Post by tomciopaluch357 »

Slysz and Techno
Slysz and Techno
Thank you Studey for incredible review and , great pictures.Mine should arrive on Wednesday just in time to slice my Turkey :) :) :) My new Slysz with Techno
Attachments
20141129_10244.jpg
20141129_104854.jpg
20141129_102616.jpg
20141129_102603.jpg
PiterM

Post by PiterM »

Just noticed this review... good job! And yeah, it's a good knife :)
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

Great review. One of the best Spydercos ever.
swigert

Post by swigert »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Is there no over travel for the lock?
I don't believe so, imho its the only downfall of this one...I still love mine but I do wish that overtravel was there...