7 Years Hard Use on This Spyderco Knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bolster

7 Years Hard Use on This Spyderco Knife

Post by Bolster »

I purchased this Caly 3 VG-10 in 2007. I've put hard use on it as a work knife in rebuilding houses. For 7 years it has been in regular use, called on to:

Open bags of cement, soil, fertilizer;
Cut drywall;
Carve wood;
Cut down cardboard;
Bevel 100s of feet of baseboard;
Notch and cut plastic;
Cut templates;
Shave and scrape paint;
Scribe lines,
Chamfer edges,
Pluck splinters out of my hand,
Pinch-hit for a chisel when setting lock strikes,
Open thousands of clam-packs,
Trim shrubbery;
Shave wooden plugs;
Take insulation off wire;
...and when clean,
Cut fruit & sandwiches for lunch.
Plus whatever else comes its way.

This knife has worn out the right pocket of several Levi's jeans and Carhartts. Got lost for a week at one point; it had clipped itself to a wire fence as I leaned over, and the fence withdrew the knife out of my pocket as I stood up. Nobody saw the knife hanging there and I picked it off the fence a week later. Today I pulled out a spare (new in box) Caly 3 and compared them. Remarkable how well this work knife has held up. See for yourself!

Worn knife top, new knife bottom. Now, I'm not a knife abuser, and I carry a utility knife and a putty knife in my toolbox and use them when they're the better tool to use. But this Caly often pinch-hits when I'm lazy.

As you know the tip of the blade on a backlock generally moves a little bit vertically; this has maybe 1mm of movement at the tip, had it when new and seems to have not changed the whole time I've owned it. No side-to-side play. Faint scratches across the blade. Circular ricasso scratches. A very faint stain appeared on the VG-10 early on, just barely visible in the photo. The G-10 shows "smoothing" wear, and shiny on the edges. The "ink" inside the spyder has mostly worn away. Anodizing on the clip long gone. But seriously, folks, does this look like a knife that's had 7 hard years of on-the-job work? Goodness sakes, it is going to outlast me. And it's called a "gentleman's folder." I call it my primary work knife.
Last edited by Bolster on Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:39 pm, edited 5 times in total.
MacLaren

Re: 7 Years Hard Use on This Spyderco Knife

Post by MacLaren »

Fantastic. An awesome knife to be sure.
My favorite edc is my Caly 3.5
Nice thread man.
Trout Hound

Post by Trout Hound »

Awesome. I love it.
A sharp knife is a pleasure to carry. Five or six sharp knives are an even greater pleasure.

Trout Hound
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

Very cool! Just shows that a good tool can be used hard if it is taken care of properly. Congrats, I hope you get at least seven more years with it.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Of the larger Spydies I'm inclined to carry, I've considered the Caly 3.5 the most fragile. Clearly, I need to revise my thinking. Thanks for the meaningful testimonial.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

That is a fantastic testament to the quality of these knives. I love the well worn look and am glad to know I have years more use out of mine before it even slightly resembles yours. You did neglect to indicate the 7 years of pocket lint in the front side wire clip slots :D
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
LC Kid

Awesome!

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Bolster!

Awesome story and even better pics. It truly looks like you have been using it some few months. :)

BTW, where did you find a brand NIB G10 Caly 3? :spyder:
knolan

Post by knolan »

Bravo Bolster...thanks a lot for posting these pics! I tend to carry my least favorite and/or less expensive Spyderco folders when I know I'll be using them hard. This is a wake up call for me to start using ALL my knives as the actual tools they are, and for which they were designed.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Brother "BOLSTER" that doesn't surprise me in the least bit. Because I have an early era 440V, Golden Colorado USA made NATIVE model that I've literally tried to destroy on 2 seperate jobs I've had. I was willing to make it the sacrificial lamb of my blade collection because I had one automotive rehab job that I had many cutting chores on and I couldn't destroy that knife.

I was totally amazed at how that old 440V NATIVE endured some of the most gruesome work I've ever put any blade through. And that amazes me because there are several Spyderco models that I think would even take more punishment than the NATIVE model probably would. There are models like the CHINOOK, Manix, and some of the specialty blade steel Military models I think would hold up to just about anything you could put it through during rough cutting jobs.

Your testimony of your tougher than tough CALY 3 doesn't surprise me in the least. Anymore I expect that type of performance from Spyderco blades. Just wait till some testimonies come in on some of their newer fixed blade models. Because I doubt if you could destroy a STREETBEAT or a TEMP 2.

It's always great to hear testimonies like yours though because it just confirms to me that Spyderco are some of the very best commercially produced knives on the planet.
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

Awesome post. Too bad about the blade play, though.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

xceptnl wrote:That is a fantastic testament to the quality of these knives. I love the well worn look and am glad to know I have years more use out of mine before it even slightly resembles yours. You did neglect to indicate the 7 years of pocket lint in the front side wire clip slots :D
Oh, true that. When I was examining this old Caly I happened to peer inside the liners...something disgusting residing in there...it was either some old leaves (I hope) or dead bug wings (hope not)...so that got a good cleaning. I intend to show this knife a bit more respect from here out.

I would love to see some of your well-worn Spyders, folks, so post up if you have them.
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

Thanks for sharing.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Bolser,

Thanx for sharing your experience.

sal
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Very nice. I've had one in my carpenter pants (Blåkleder) since they came out and apart from some scratches it functions pretty much like new (a bit thinner convex edge now)
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Thank you for sharing. I remember your thread after one year. Even that was quite impressive. I love my Caly3, but it was replaced with a bigger brother Caly3.5. A little longer blade on the same size handle is always help.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Very cool. Thanks for sharing. So... you won't be needing the spare then, eh? ;)
- best wishes, Jazz.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Nice work!

I'd love to hear you give a comparison of the 3 vs 3.5 in use.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

These knives are tough as nails. Thank you for posting, the best advertising in the world comes from happy users.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

What a great testimony to the toughness and resilience of Spyderco knives when properly used.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

sal wrote:Hi Bolser, Thanx for sharing your experience. sal
Thank you, Sal, for making such a sturdy and safe knife!
bh49 wrote:Thank you for sharing. I remember your thread after one year. Even that was quite impressive. I love my Caly3, but it was replaced with a bigger brother Caly3.5. A little longer blade on the same size handle is always help.
Wow, what a memory, bh. Yes, I was impressed with this knife's durability at the one year mark, and posted on it...little did I know this knife would have many more working years ahead of it. Sadly those photos from 2008 have been lost.

http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... 2C000+mile" target="_blank

To ease your mind regarding what you said in '08, bh, when I say "scraping paint," I don't just keel-haul the edge crosswise against the paint at 90 degrees. It's more of a slicing motion, a slow push cut with the blade held at maybe 30 degrees or so. I'm not a fan of knife abuse, but I am a fan of heavy use, and these spyders can take it.

Sharpens back to free-cutting sharpness with ease. The VG-10 is such a lovely steel for quick resharpening.