A quick hello and some help with knife ID :)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
littlerestraint

A quick hello and some help with knife ID :)

Post by littlerestraint »

Hi everyone, just signed up, mainly to find out about this knife, but also so I can drool over all of your collections :)

I'm a knife fan, have been for years, but I'm fair from knowledgeable, just an owner/admirer/user.

I've got a couple of Spyderco knives and have always found them to be superb. A local gun shop sometimes has odd ones in at decent prices, but they're all ex-demo, so unless it's stamped on the handle I don't know which models they are.

I bought one yesterday, dirt cheap. Somewhat odd design and only AUS 8 stainless, but I've taken a liking to it, which is odd as it's fully serrated, and I usually only use plain. Figured it would be a great worker.

Couldn't spot it on the site, could anybody tell me which model it is please? I'm guessing it's obviously just a low end job, but not sure which?

Thanks in advance :)

IG-88

Re: A quick hello and some help with knife ID :)

Post by IG-88 »

I think this is C26SBKEMT Snap-It sheepsfoot blade EMT version with black FRN black Kraton insert and AUS-8 and certainly a nice catch :)
littlerestraint

Hey, thanks for that! I searched Google on the model number you stated and found one identical on an ebay auction. Looks like you're bang on the money!

So is it a decent find? I wasn't too sure on it at first, but now I've handled it for a while I really like it.
Trout Hound

Post by Trout Hound »

Hello, and welcome aboard!

I believe IG-88 is correct. That model is no longer in production, but neither are many of our favorite knives around here. Looks like a cool idea with the fold-out carabiner. And, to answer your question, ANY genuine Spyderco is a good find!

Welcome to the addiction!
A sharp knife is a pleasure to carry. Five or six sharp knives are an even greater pleasure.

Trout Hound
Trout Hound

Post by Trout Hound »

P.S. - The reason you never thought you would like a fully serrated blade is because you never tried a SPYDEREDGE blade! There are serrations, and then there is Spyderedge, and there are some on here who are practically religious in their devotion to it.
A sharp knife is a pleasure to carry. Five or six sharp knives are an even greater pleasure.

Trout Hound
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Beautiful knife. That one was my very first Spydie. I bought mine new at REI in the early 90's.
remnar

Post by remnar »

littlerestraint, That's a nice pick-up. I just got this one last weekend to go with my Plain-Edge Snap-It. My PE Snap-It was my favorite and most used Spydie for years. It now hangs on the front of my fishing vest.

BTW The Spydiewiki site is great for identifying models.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?title=Main_Page" target="_blank
littlerestraint

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Trout Hound - Yeah, I do see what you mean, been trying it out today, and it does cut through fibres like nothing I've used, really impressive, although I've never sharpened a serrated edge, so I'm hoping it'll stay sharp for while until I learn :)

The carabiner is fixed, quite strange, and only a right handed user could open it one handed, as the carabiner stays put, and lies next to the blade when it's locked out. Luckily I'm a righty :)

Remnar - Thank you, I will have a read through the wiki now :)

Thanks again all, much appreciated
Trout Hound

Post by Trout Hound »

littlerestraint wrote:Trout Hound - Yeah, I do see what you mean, been trying it out today, and it does cut through fibres like nothing I've used, really impressive, although I've never sharpened a serrated edge, so I'm hoping it'll stay sharp for while until I learn :)
There are several good ways to sharpen a serrated edge. If you want precise angle control, the Sharpmaker will get it done for you, as will a DMT aligner kit (the one with the tapered diamond rod), or a Lansky system with the pointed stone for serrated edges. (Actually, I bought just the aligner clamp, and I use a Lansky serrated stone with it.) You can also just use a tapered diamond rod freehand.

Check out the instructional videos for the Sharpmaker and DMT Aligner on YouTube. That's a really good place to start.

Trout Hound
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Welcome to the Forum! :)

What everyone else said--Snap It EMT. It is a fairly nice knife, and although not completely rare, it is hard to find NIB. Anyway, it's a very interesting design and a nice catch!

OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

Welcome to the forum. I also found one of those at a gunshop a couple of years ago. It was in an old knife display with a bunch of traditional slipjoints. I was able to liberate it for next to nothing.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Littlerestraint,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Gaz-dodd

Post by Gaz-dodd »

The Spyderco C26SBKEMT go for upto £250 in the UK. I’ve got one I’ve had since 1999. It’s been in my pocket and used constantly. It survived 12 years and 8 tours no problem. Typical spyderco quality.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Gaz-dodd,

Welcome to our forum. thanx much for your service and kind words.

sal
azfreedheart

Post by azfreedheart »

To the poster: FYI: this knife is beloved by rock climbers. I lost one near Crown King once and would kill to have it again. I do have another one with fully serrated blade. It is the perfect knife for keeping on a rock climbing harness...the carabiner clips to the harness gear loop and we attach an arm length lanyard to another mini carabiner so when the knife is in use it can't be dropped off the climb. It is the perfect knife for cutting climbing rope or old webbing out of an anchor, or anything else that may come up during a climb.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear azfreedheart:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

remnar wrote:
Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:59 am
littlerestraint, That's a nice pick-up. I just got this one last weekend to go with my Plain-Edge Snap-It. My PE Snap-It was my favorite and most used Spydie for years. It now hangs on the front of my fishing vest.

Love it!

That was my first (gateway) Spyderco. I bought two of them at REI back in the 90s. EDC'd one of them all the way through graduate school. I still have them.