The Sharpest?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Re: The Sharpest?

Post by apollo »

My Sharpest spydie out of the box at this point is my cts-XHP Techno.
Something is really off with this one :p (I love to make this joke :D ) it makes my armhairs scream and run even before i thouch them with it :p .
I have it 1 month at this point and i edc it every single day and still it has the factory edge! .:) ( naturally 2 strokes on the strop happens every few days just to keep the freshness of the edge ).
And i'm the kind of guy that cut's every paper, plastic or cardboard i can get my hands on in a day just because i love to cut things... :)
Spyderco Great job on this one. Keep them coming ;)
Ray Allen

Post by Ray Allen »

Sharpest out of the box for me was my VG10 Superleaf. Took the very tip of one of my fingers off one day and it just felt like a icy tingle. That is sharp....
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

The sharpest Spyderco I have had nib was my s30v PM2. The rest of my Spydie's haven't come close to that level of sharpness. Just tapping the tip with your finger would draw blood.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

My Delica in Superblue.It came scarry sharp and I myself, with my mediocre skills, I'm able to put a shaving sharp edge on.I only use the UF stones on my SM.My Caly jr.in ZDP189 is just behind.
For me, superblue steel is an epiphany.I am about to kick myself for not getting a Caly 3.5 in superblue.But I purchased 2 Caly 3 in SB :D
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

Big Chris Custom Fixed Blade in CPM-M2 was the sharpest out of box. Literally a LIGHTSABER. I shaved with it, than stropped it with green and red compound and I honestly don't think a knife can be any sharper. It will play with strands of hair like they're sticks with ease, among other things. Crazy sharp.
gijoe945

Post by gijoe945 »

The sharpest I ever had was an Opinel #8 in X90 Carbon steel. It was stropped with paste on canvas & leather and would cut a silk scarf dropped over the blade.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

My Cruwear Millie and Manix 2 were very sharp out of the box. I lathered up my face and shaved one side with the Millie just to see if it would do it.
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

This will sound crazy, but the sharpest I have ever had out of the box was my VG-10 93mm PE rescue! That thing was a straight razor!
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
WMR

Post by WMR »

The sharpest EDC user has been my Superblue Caly 3.5. Out of the box sharpest I just can't remember but the least sharp out of the box was a recently purchased Double Bevel VG-10. After reprofiling, sharpened to 30 degrees and stroping with a Stropblock, it rivels my SB Caly 3.5.
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

All of my superblues (delica, endura, stretch) have been exceptional. The one I use the most is my PM2 in S90V - an amazing cutter on some tough material that keeps on cutting and cutting and cutting...
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

I've seen many knives coming out of the box really sharp from Al Mar, Hogue, Mcusta, CRK, Spyderco... :p but I particularly remember my Emerson Commander, for some reason this one came scary sharp out of the box. Then as most of us here I've got pretty sharp edges from my users, specially my Millies in S30V and S90V.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Discounting out-of-the-box sharpness, I think I've achieved the greatest sharpness on my SB Caly 3.5 and my SB Stretch.

That said, I don't know if these edges would remain as sharp, under the same conditions of use, as the other high-end steels I have sharpened from Spyderco. Besides, their sharpness is, practically speaking, really only marginally greater than these other steels.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
victorf

Post by victorf »

Base steel or knife brand not withstanding. I can not differentiate sharpness after sharpen with WE. Aside from extreme sharpness, also rewarded with consistent angle/width on sharpen edge from heel to tip that is visually gratifying.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The sharpest Spyder I ever got direct from the factory was my 2005 era, Burgundy Calypso Junior which was Spyderco's very first blade with ZDP-189. Also it seems like about any of the other ZDP-189 knives I've gotten were also like a straight razor when I first obtained those ZDP models.

I can only think of maybe one NIB Spyderco knife that I ever had to sharpen or tune up that was new in the box. Most of the time you can shave with them right from the factory.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

Sharpest I've ever received was a CKC Knives Mini Hiker in AEB-L steel. Was ground incredibly thin and AEB-L, as a low carbide steel, takes an amazing edge. There was some edge deformation under light use because it was so thin, but still...the sharpest knife I've ever encountered.

From Spyderco, hard to say as I've had so many of them. My Techno can take an amazing edge after I sharpen it. Perhaps because it's so much easier to sharpen than the high carbide steels I own.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

nirvanero wrote:I've seen many knives coming out of the box really sharp from Al Mar, Hogue, Mcusta, CRK, Spyderco... :p but I particularly remember my Emerson Commander, for some reason this one came scary sharp out of the box. Then as most of us here I've got pretty sharp edges from my users, specially my Millies in S30V and S90V.
Ive REALLY been wanting to try Al Mar. Seems it would be one heckuva nice knife.
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

MacLaren wrote:
nirvanero wrote:I've seen many knives coming out of the box really sharp from Al Mar, Hogue, Mcusta, CRK, Spyderco... :p but I particularly remember my Emerson Commander, for some reason this one came scary sharp out of the box. Then as most of us here I've got pretty sharp edges from my users, specially my Millies in S30V and S90V.
Ive REALLY been wanting to try Al Mar. Seems it would be one heckuva nice knife.
I own both SERE 2000 and Shrike 2, excellent knives. I really like the former, a bit heavy but smooth and tough.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

nirvanero wrote:
MacLaren wrote:
I own both SERE 2000 and Shrike 2, excellent knives. I really like the former, a bit heavy but smooth and tough.
Cool. I'm interested in the Eagle HD and the Shrike. And I just really like VG10 too :)