How do you close your Manix 2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Waco

How do you close your Manix 2?

Post by Waco »

Releasing the lock takes more effort than I expected. I thought I would be able to slide the lock back with my thumb and push the blade over with my index finger. Instead, I'm having to pinch the sliders from both sides with my thumb and either my index finger or my middle finger. Using my thumb and index finger, I can give the blade a slight shake to move the blade out of the closed position and then take the rest of the way with my thumb. Our I can use my thumb and middle finger and push it all the way closed with my index finger. Or I can resort to 2-handed closing. Hopefully, my hand will get used to it. I used to being angle to close my knives in an easy, fluid motion, but this one is making my thumb sore.
quickster47

Re: How do you close your Manix 2?

Post by quickster47 »

Sort of the same issue. But I'm hoping after some use and break-in time the whole process gets easier.

Carl
Gibbs rule #9. Never go anywhere without a knife.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

My Manix collection have all exhibited similar properties to your Manix. I the CBBL has always required a finger on each half of the lock. I can say that with a love for the Manix 2 and almost a year of carry that the action was learned and eventually came like second nature.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

I've got a bunch of Manix knives. Closing all varieties of them is very easy. Just a quick pinch, pull back and shake down into the closed position.....same as with an axis lock except more pinching force required to overcome the CBBL spring vs an axis lock spring.
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I only have a few manix models but have noticed that each one has its own little personality, the CBBL is tighter on some and looser on others, but all require the two finger pinch and a little shake. My cruwear blade just falls closed were as my LW S110 takes more of a shake.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I pinch the lock with my index finger and thumb, and then flick it all the way closed in one motion. I sometimes do the same to open it, but I thumb flick it more often.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

3rdGenRigger wrote:I pinch the lock with my index finger and thumb, and then flick it all the way closed in one motion. I sometimes do the same to open it, but I thumb flick it more often.
+1
this becomes very easy when the manix becomes part of your edc and you get used to it.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Index and thumb to pull back the lock, gravity to swing the blade shut. However, I am able to use just my thumb on my LW.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

3rdGenRigger wrote:I pinch the lock with my index finger and thumb, and then flick it all the way closed in one motion. I sometimes do the same to open it, but I thumb flick it more often.
+1
It's very easy and quick which is part of why my Manix (FRN S110V) is such a great work knife. I like to be able to open, use, close, and put away without thinking about it and as fast as possible. Efficiency...it gives me goose bumps.
Waco

Post by Waco »

Oil and practice have helped.
remnar

Post by remnar »

This is the one reason that I have held off on buying a Manix for so long. I hope the lock on my en route Cru-Wear breaks in nicely.
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

Basically I put my thumb and index finger on each side of the lock, and then hold the rest in that same hand. Fluid, quick, easy one-handed closing. I can flick and unlock super fast this way, extremely fast actually. As I'm holding it with my one hand, I just give it a shake down into the handle.

*Edit: Exactly what 3rdGenRigger does*
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I love my Manix2, but was a little worried when I first got it for much the same reason. The spring was stupid strong but after a couple days of playing, it loosened up to perfection and has stayed there since. Also you will get used to it and find a grip and closing method that works for you. I pull the lock with thumb and index or middle finger and "flick" it closed.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

remnar wrote:This is the one reason that I have held off on buying a Manix for so long. I hope the lock on my en route Cru-Wear breaks in nicely.
I don't think the lock is meant to be super easy to disengage otherwise that may cause problems or accidental closing. If you only had to push or pull on one side of the lock that could make for a problem during a vigorous cutting task. I like that I have to have a thumb and finger on either side to close it. Again, its quite simple once your used to it, I wouldn't worry if i were you. Enjoy the cruwear.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

If your blade doesn't just fall when you disengage your lock I would loosen the pivot just a tiny bit. The lock is a little stiff so thumb and index finger are both necessary but the blade should swing freely from there requiring the slightest flick of the wrist to close it. My para2 and sage3 are the same way. If it still won't swing freely it may need to be cleaned and oiled.
Waco

Post by Waco »

I wonder if I got the last one from Blade HQ. There were out of stock the next day. :D
remnar

Post by remnar »

remnar wrote:This is the one reason that I have held off on buying a Manix for so long. I hope the lock on my en route Cru-Wear breaks in nicely.
Ah Heck! My order confirmation and shipping notice has been unconfirmed, and my account has been credited.
Looks like I'll be holding off a little longer. :confused:
kingtaj

Post by kingtaj »

Sorry, I know this is a pretty old thread...

Has anyone had trouble cutting their palm while closing the Manix 2 with one hand?

When I do the pinch and shake to close, the butt of the knife handle rests against my palm. Occasionally, as the knife blade swoops down to close, it cuts my palm (because the handle is pressed hard against my palm, raising the skin around it slightly). Anyone else have this problem? How to avoid?

Eventually, I guess, the bandaids protect my palm from more cuts :D

Thanks!
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I have slightly nicked my palm a few times closing a Manix 2.

Rather than holding the blade horizontally, try holding the blade pointing down, then hold the lock release and rotate your hand so that the blade closes, but by doing it slowly it won't fall nick your palm. I don't have a video handy to demonstrate what I'm describing, sorry.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

kingtaj wrote:Sorry, I know this is a pretty old thread...

Has anyone had trouble cutting their palm while closing the Manix 2 with one hand?

When I do the pinch and shake to close, the butt of the knife handle rests against my palm. Occasionally, as the knife blade swoops down to close, it cuts my palm (because the handle is pressed hard against my palm, raising the skin around it slightly). Anyone else have this problem? How to avoid?

Eventually, I guess, the bandaids protect my palm from more cuts :D

Thanks!
Hi kingtaj! Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

I don't have the problem you describe but I could see how some people would. The same thing happened to me once when I closed a Sage 3. Now I make sure to rest the butt of the knife toward the outside of my palm when I close it. I do the same with the Manix 2.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!