Spyderco tolerances

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

Spyderco tolerances

Post by elena86 »

Yesterday, for the first time, I dissasembeled a Sebenza(my small plain 21).I only wish Spyderco released a model with a pivot bushing a la Sebenza.But AFAIK that implies very tight tolerances.Speaking of tolerances, which Spyderco model do you think has the most tight tolerances ?
LC Kid

Taiwan Rules!

Post by LC Kid »

Hi elena86!

Regarding Spyderco tolerances I'd say anything coming from Taiwan just Rules. :spyder:

Over Golden or Seki. :rolleyes:

And after using The **** Out of mine I can properly say there's no need for any kind of so called 'Seb Tolerances'.

Design, Ergos, Materials and Superior Manufacture are so much more important for a State of the Art cutting tool. :cool:
elena86

Re: Spyderco tolerances

Post by elena86 »

...so called "seb tolerances" ? You must be joking..Have you ever handled or dissasembled a sebenza ? But this is not the issue here.I am not questioning spydie tolerances.Some of the the spydies I carry and care for have quite tight tolerances(blue Para 2 in M390 or recently, blue G10 Domino in CTS-204P) and that's good enough for me.You missed my point.As I said, I only wish to see some "a la sebenza" pivot bushing systems on a few spydies( 1 or 2 models).I own 5 sebies and from time too time I carry a small plain 21 but the fact that I own more than 40 spydies and never sold one speaks on behalf of my love for this brand.But why not use a good technology ? Pivot bushing system is a winner IMHO.But that's where the tight tolerances have something to say.No tight tolerances, no effective and reliable pivot bushing.The absence of a pivot bushing system stoped me from purchasing the new released Sebenza 25(among other things).And just because I am so attached to the Spyderco brand I wish they incorporate the most reliable technologies.I hate when a have blade play in my folders and playing with the pivot screw is lame.
Henry - get both

Post by Henry - get both »

Im here to agree with you. I would love to see a tighter tolerance Spyderco. I rarely carry anything other than a reground Spyderco but I do own a Sebenza 21 and 25 just because I appreciate how the tolerances compliment the overall design. Usually on my Spyderco knives I can lube and adjust the pivot and be ok with it.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

It's a pocket knife. From a purely practical standpoint, how tight do tolerances have to be? I'm not using it to plot a course from "point A" to some tiny island 5000 miles away. I'm not trying to hit a dime size target at 100 yards or score 300 on the National Match Course with it. I'm not expecting it to keep in sync with an atomic clock. As long as I can't hear the blade rattling in my back pocket while walking down the street, it's pretty much good to go.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Henry - get both

Post by Henry - get both »

The Deacon wrote:It's a pocket knife. From a purely practical standpoint, how tight do tolerances have to be? I'm not using it to plot a course from "point A" to some tiny island 5000 miles away. I'm not trying to hit a dime size target at 100 yards or score 300 on the National Match Course with it. I'm not expecting it to keep in sync with an atomic clock. As long as I can't hear the blade rattling in my back pocket while walking down the street, it's pretty much good to go.
How pretty do they have to be? :D
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

elena86 wrote:Yesterday, for the first time, I dissasembeled a Sebenza(my small plain 21).I only wish Spyderco released a model with a pivot bushing a la Sebenza.But AFAIK that implies very tight tolerances.Speaking of tolerances, which Spyderco model do you think has the most tight tolerances ?
I haven't handled one yet, but I would say the new Slysz Bowie might take the cake for most tight tolerances. For a knife that costs $280-$300 street, I'd hope so at least.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

I don't think the Bowie will have the same level of tolerances, the extra steps taken at CRK are over the top in many respects. Like a luxury watch that has features you don't notice right away and don't really affect performance.

I would like to see Spyderco make knives that are user serviceable but also covered by warranty. Not the inexpensive knives, but the upper level ones which cost a premium. I don't mind not being able to disassemble my PM2 (89$ when I purchased it) but a Bowie at $280+ is in a different category, IMO.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Tighter tolerances come at higher cost. I really do not need Spyderco prices to go up. I never owned Sebenza, but very satisfied with Spyderco I carry.
Invective

Post by Invective »

bh49 wrote:Tighter tolerances come at higher cost. I really do not need Spyderco prices to go up. I never owned Sebenza, but very satisfied with Spyderco I carry.
I'm in this camp. Heck, one of my most used knives is a SE Native, it's got bladeplay out the wazoo, both up and down as well as side to side, but it's never come unlocked unexpectedly, and I've even whacked it pretty hard just to make sure.

Also paying more money for knives is not something I want to do now either :p
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Eh, I respect the work they put into those knives, and lately despite having no further interest in the brand than that, I have been lusting after an Insingo because I love the blade shape. I may one day cough up the cash for one of those but I think Spyderco hits a sweet spot between affordability and precision.

Really, the more I think about it, I can't justify CRK prices for S35VN. That's really the big thing holding me back.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

If they'd put a hole in the Sebenza blade, it would be a real knife. :D
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I love the tight tolerances of the CRK knives, however I have never been able to pay for those tolerances unless it was secondhand. In reality ALL of my spydies have had more than acceptable tolerances in my opinion.. this includes my much loved Caly Jr that has substantial gaps between the FRN and blade tang. Despite all this, still locks up tight and I am carrying her today.

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

I don't think the Slysz Bowie will have Seb-level tolerances, just the best tolerances from Spyderco knives. Maybe you misunderstood.
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

elena86 wrote:...so called "seb tolerances" ? You must be joking..Have you ever handled or dissasembled a sebenza ? But this is not the issue here.I am not questioning spydie tolerances.Some of the the spydies I carry and care for have quite tight tolerances(blue Para 2 in M390 or recently, blue G10 Domino in CTS-204P) and that's good enough for me.You missed my point.As I said, I only wish to see some "a la sebenza" pivot bushing systems on a few spydies( 1 or 2 models).I own 5 sebies and from time too time I carry a small plain 21 but the fact that I own more than 40 spydies and never sold one speaks on behalf of my love for this brand.But why not use a good technology ? Pivot bushing system is a winner IMHO.But that's where the tight tolerances have something to say.No tight tolerances, no effective and reliable pivot bushing.The absence of a pivot bushing system stoped me from purchasing the new released Sebenza 25(among other things).And just because I am so attached to the Spyderco brand I wish they incorporate the most reliable technologies.I hate when a have blade play in my folders and playing with the pivot screw is lame.
As a Sebenza owner I know perfectly what you mean and I also didn't get the Sebenza 25 for lacking the bushing pivot. Not everybody can tell the difference from very very good to almost perfect and I think this matter gets even more complicated in production knives as your sample may not be as good as mine (or vice versa). I own quite a few :spyder: and IMHO the titanium A.T.R. is one of the best Spyderco concerning tolerances, though there are several other models with incredible quality.
LC Kid

So Called Seb Tolerances

Post by LC Kid »

Hi elena86!

elena86 wrote:...so called "seb tolerances" ? You must be joking..Have you ever handled or dissasembled a sebenza ?
Actually I currently own 3 Sebs. Large Seb, Small Seb and Umnumzaan.

And I had and sold another 2 classic Sebs before these.

And I simply lost count of how many times I had disassembled/assembled/cleaned/greased them.

I had used them, and abused them too. Are Sebs good knives? Of course they are.

Do Sebs worth their price? Come on man... :D

Sebenzas doesn't even worth a third of their price. They even content for the worst knives ergos ever. And since they introduced some 'improvements' in their 25th Edition now we all can properly say that it just took 25 years to recognize they were doing wrong ergos, something that by the way Spyderco begin doing right since their first ever model 30+ years ago.

So yes, the whole market worship the So Called Seb Tolerances. Why? Go figure. :rolleyes:

Spyderco is at the highest Top of Modern Cutlery because they really pay attention to every detail about making State of the Art Cutlery Tools. Not just those So Called Seb Tolerances.

At the end I'm absolutely with The Deacon: It's a Pocket Knife. It's not Cardiac Surgery.
nirvanero

Re: So Called Seb Tolerances

Post by nirvanero »

LC Kid wrote:Hi elena86!

elena86 wrote:...so called "seb tolerances" ? You must be joking..Have you ever handled or dissasembled a sebenza ?
Actually I currently own 3 Sebs. Large Seb, Small Seb and Umnumzaan.

And I had and sold another 2 classic Sebs before these.

And I simply lost count of how many times I had disassembled/assembled/cleaned/greased them.

I had used them, and abused them too. Are Sebs good knives? Of course they are.

Do Sebs worth their price? Come on man... :D

Sebenzas doesn't even worth a third of their price. They even content for the worst knives ergos ever. And since they introduced some 'improvements' in their 25th Edition now we all can properly say that it just took 25 years to recognize they were doing wrong ergos, something that by the way Spyderco begin doing right since their first ever model 30+ years ago.

So yes, the whole market worship the So Called Seb Tolerances. Why? Go figure. :rolleyes:

Spyderco is at the highest Top of Modern Cutlery because they really pay attention to every detail about making State of the Art Cutlery Tools. Not just those So Called Seb Tolerances.

At the end I'm absolutely with The Deacon: It's a Pocket Knife. It's not Cardiac Surgery.
First of all, this: http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... =2&t=28093" target="_blank

You must be the first owner of such a CRK collection that speaks of "so called Seb tolerances". I guess you just found them at an incredibly low price and all that, but if it took 25 years CRK to recognize "they were doing wrong ergos" (even if many users prefer old Sebenza over the 25), it seems it took you four Sebenzas to recognize "Sebenzas doesn't even worth a third of their price"... :rolleyes:

The point is I don't see how bad publicity of another brands does Spyderco a favour in this forum. I see it the same way as people talking about the MSRP of the Spyderco Chaparral 3 stepped titanium or Slysz Bowie and their "so called tolerances" in the Benchmade forums... :D

Yes, they're pocket knives not cardiac surgery... that's why I'm pretty happy even with a Cold Steel Tuff Lite in my pocket... :)
elena86

Post by elena86 »

It's crazy ! Don't you guys read the post before replying ? (except nirvanero...).I repeat myself : you missed my point.Even though the post is entitled " spyderco tolerances " it's all about " pivot bushing system ".The tight tolerances are just a must.What the heck ! I love my spydercos and I'll never give up on them but just because they lack a pivot bushing system still I only wish they had one.That's all !
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

Well you did mention the word tolerances 3 times and the pivot Bushing only once (and then asked about which model you felt had the best tolerances amongst Spyderco knives)...so uh...

I think the pivot bushing system is useful but knives in my collection without it are really well centered and go together just fine.
phillipsted

Re: So Called Seb Tolerances

Post by phillipsted »

LC Kid wrote:At the end I'm absolutely with The Deacon: It's a Pocket Knife. It's not Cardiac Surgery.
Every surgeon I know uses fixed blades for surgery - not folders. :cool:

I've never been able to pull the trigger on a Sebbie - although the CF-scaled Insingo came close. But I just kept thinking that I could buy two or three Spydies for the cost of one of Chris' knives. I've been seriously thinking about replacing the left-side titanium scale on a Sage 2 with a CF slab - which would give me a knife with the same basic ingredients as the CF Insingo - but with killer ergonomics at less than half the price...

TedP