Spyderco C67S "R" Flea Market Find

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
opaul

Spyderco C67S "R" Flea Market Find

Post by opaul »

I'll get a picture up later but I found it as new in the box with all the papers at the flea market today. I can't seem to find much information about it at all. The price tag on the box is $159.95. It is stamped Japan ATS34. Searched ebay and saw one selling for over $300.........can that be true??
It's a beautiful knife but appears there is not many around.

Thanks.
OP
bearfacedkiller

Re: Spyderco C67S "R" Flea Market Find

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I like the R model and if that is new in the box it is a collectable. Is that the skeletonized handle or not? They have done three runs of them. If it has the skeletonized handle it is the first run from around '99. I believe the second run had a skeletonized blade but solid handle and came out around '05. The "R" Nishijin came out a little over a year ago. I have that one.

IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Nice catch!!! The only R with ATS-34 is the original R with with both the skeletonized handle and blade. While assembled in Japan, the blades were cut in Colorado. Its a true collectable and a rare find. The PE is very wanted and $300 is the correct ebay price. I can presume compared to the Ebay price you did a wicked deal.
opaul

Post by opaul »

Last edited by opaul on Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
opaul

Post by opaul »

[imgImage][/img]

Well this is it. How do you like it?
Last edited by opaul on Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Nice catch. They are pretty rare (I've had the 1st gen on my radar for a few years) and certainly do sell for closer to the $300 mark.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Very nice snag. I also very much like the R model. I'm probably alone in this, but it's the improved Stretch in my opinion. I first got the nishijin sprint, and then felt compelled to pick up one of the skeletonized handle versions (SE). It would be cool to find one with the skeletonized blade to round out the set, but I haven't sought that one too hard, and as mentioned, they are rare.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

tvenuto wrote:Very nice snag. I also very much like the R model. I'm probably alone in this, but it's the improved Stretch in my opinion. I first got the nishijin sprint, and then felt compelled to pick up one of the skeletonized handle versions (SE). It would be cool to find one with the skeletonized blade to round out the set, but I haven't sought that one too hard, and as mentioned, they are rare.
If the stretch wasn't Sal's personal project maybe we would have seen an FRN "R" model. I fits right in between the delica and endura in size and has a choil. It is very similar to the Para2 in size. The stretch is very popular and Sal likes it so the "R" isn't taking over. The nishijin "R" didn't sell out super fast either. Not sure why? I love mine. I would be all over a zdp version. I would love to have an frn version but with the cost of molds that isn't happening either.

In the end I am very grateful for the one I have and I will keep it and enjoy it.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Nicely done, mate. Those are getting difficult to find these days.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Good to see another R lover out there. I also remember the R taking a while to sell, and I can see that the sprint R kind of removed all of the stand-out characteristics of the previous versions (skeletonized scales or blade), so some people might not have "got" the sprint. It's a great design in its own right, though, so I'm glad they re-released it. A while back, after being super impressed using my R, I started a thread to see if there were other secret R fans out there and got mostly crickets. Oh well, like you say I'll just enjoy mine even if it doesn't have a huge fan club.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Terrific find opaul, were you able to try to talk the seller down any further? It is a truly unique model for sure and anyone would be proud to have it in their collection, I know I would. Congratulations again!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
opaul

Post by opaul »

The $159.95 was the original price the seller paid for the knife back in the late 90's (I believe he said), so it wasn't the asking price. He was selling all his knives, mostly Benchmade and this was the only Spyderco in the case. I made an offer less than that and it was accepted. This knife was purchased by him and was stored in his gun case and never carried. The box still has the warranty card and all the literature that would have come with the knife.
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

I always wanted one of those. That is a sweet score. The best I ever did was a dragonfly 3 for 20 bucks he also had a tipped worker slab side that someone painted red. If it wasn't tipped I'd own that one too!
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

IG-88 wrote:Nice catch!!! The only R with ATS-34 is the original R with with both the skeletonized handle and blade. While assembled in Japan, the blades were cut in Colorado. Its a true collectable and a rare find. The PE is very wanted and $300 is the correct ebay price. I can presume compared to the Ebay price you did a wicked deal.
That is correct! The newer, full bladed models like shown in post #2 were reintroductions done in the late 2000s. Not nearly the knife the original skeletonized model was. And the ATS-34 blade was only used on the original first run model. Even the serrated one is fetching decent prices but a set of PE & SE that is what you would want to snag if you could.

I knew a guy up in New York state that I used to trade with that had one as his primary EDC if you can believe that. But I guess that's about as bad as me using an original PE blue handled Spyderhawk :o But what the heck if you like the model that well then why not go ahead and use one???

The original R was much better than any of the later Q models in my opinion but some of the Q models are fetching very good money now a days. Spyderco blades are like good wine they just get better with age>> that is if they are NIB
SpydyLover123

Post by SpydyLover123 »

Great score!
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

I like my Nishijin R but aside from the novelty (non-user) I wouldn't be interested in the ones with the skeletonized blades. Imagine having to clean it out after making cuts through soft media.

Cutting cheese or sausage......no thanks, not for me. They look neat......just not functional as EDC
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D