Best Fixed Blade Spydie...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Best Fixed Blade Spydie...

Enuff
4%
Street Bowie
8%
Bill Moran
5%
Warrior
1%
Swick
1%
Mule Team
15%
Serrata
9%
Bush Craft
5%
Other
52%

Total votes: 79

JD Spydo

Re: Best Fixed Blade Spydie...

Post by JD Spydo »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I do not own one but want a street beat. I have handled one and liked it a lot. The answer to this depends on the application. I want an aqua salt too. I voted other.
The Streetbeat is an excellent choice and a great useful and practical blade but I do wish it were available in Spyderedge>> Which is why my all time favorite Spyderco fixed blade is my FB05 Temperance 1 model ( the original first run Temperance FB). It was available in Spyderedge and I use both of mine a lot>> there isn't a week that goes by that I don't use both my PE and SE Temperance 1 model for some cutting chore here at the job and home. I truly wish it would be offered up again in the H-1 Salt Series.

I've yet to own a SOUTHFORK but with S90V steel I'm more than sure it would unseat my Temp 1 to be honest. I like everything I've seen on the SOUTHFORK and even wish it were available in Spyderedge. But for now I'll be content with my full SE Temp 1.

Spyderco has made huge strides in the fixed blade market and they are becoming just as well known for their great fixed blades as they are for their super high quality folders. Whichever model you choose I don't feel that you would go wrong with any of Spyderco's great fixed blades.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Other! The best fixie is the kitchen knife, Yang.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I've done a fair amount of fishing, yet I never thought to look for one rod and reel that would handle everything from pan fish to sharks. I've done a fair amount of hunting but never thought to look for one gun for everything from woodchuck to Kodiak bear. I even did a bit of motorcycle riding and racing without ever even thinking of looking for one bike for everything from touring to trials to motocross. So perhaps I'm just being an old fart, but I find idea of looking for a "universal" fixed blade knife to be more than a little bit odd. Specialization is not just for insects.

I will say that the Moran Drop Point is my favorite non-kitchen fixed blade Spyderco, and although I understand it's not a great seller, I still dearly wish the offered a high end version along the lines of the original maple Bushcraft and desert ironwood Puukko, but I'd never expect it to fill in for either an X-Acto or a machete.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Gotta say the Southfork is a timeless and classic design. Matched with the steel it's an easy choice for me. Thanks Phil and Sal. The Aqua salt comes in second, with the Temp II third. All great knives.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

"jack of all trades" would have to be the Bushcraft. My personal favorite is the Temperance 2.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

The Deacon wrote:So perhaps I'm just being an old fart, but I find idea of looking for a "universal" fixed blade knife to be more than a little bit odd. Specialization is not just for insects.
I kept wanting to respond to this thread but I couldn't figure out how. Deacon has done it for me.

The thing is we could definitely have a very good discussion about Spyderco fixed blades, we just need to have a more specific topic to kick it off.
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Other - Southfork all the way.....the PSF27 Bradley Bowie looks interesting too but maybe not as stainless as I'd hope. Then next, a BRK 3V Bravo 2 (joking)....not a Spyderco but definitely something I am interested in getting someday as well. The overwhelming majority of my favourite knives (and purchased knives) are Spyderco BUT there are a few great offerings from other Mfr's that I occasionally pick up.
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

Surfingringo wrote:Southfork. "Other" is going to win this poll by a mile I think...and I'd also bet you the vast majority of "others" are Southforks.
I think so!
kaukol

Post by kaukol »

Other. Streat Beat all the way.
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Sorry I had to vote other because of the Hossam woodlander & the Southfork.
O.
Enigma

Post by Enigma »

Temperance II
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sequimite wrote:"jack of all trades" would have to be the Bushcraft. My personal favorite is the Temperance 2.
As much as I can't quit using my original Temperance 1 model I can only imagine how nice a Temperance 2 model is. I've seen them and held them at 2 different knife shows but I've never used one yet. As much as I want a Southfork and will probably get one soon I also want a Temp 2 as well. Because my Temp 1 has just been a jewell of an all purpose blade. And it's a dream to use in the kitchen especially. But I've used the Temp 1 on hunting and fishing trips and had excellent results.

Spyderco's in house designs are still some of my all time favorites and the Temp 1 and Temp 2 both are excellent blades. But again I still have a wish that they will reintroduce the original Temperance 1 model in the H-1 Salt Series someday. That would be a great affordable fixed blade for all kinds of outdoor uses.

I'm sort of surprised that no one else remembers how good the original Temperance model is. Because everyone that has used mine says nothing but good about it. And I've had several friends try to buy both my SE & PE Temperance 1 models from me on several occasions and I'll probably still be using my two Temperance 1 models for years to come ( Lord Willing). Great Thread!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

This thread (and it's poll) should prompt a secondary poll for the "other" models to be named and voted upon accordingly.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Start another poll?
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Another Southfork vote for the other category.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I've never seen a poll where 2/3s of the votes were for "other." This poll was far wide of the mark--it should be scratched and re-run with different options.
xavierdoc

Post by xavierdoc »

I've used Mules, South Fork, Bushcraft, Caspian and Warrior for EDC, deer, bushcraft and carving (Caspian only used as dive/fishing/EDC knife).

I used an original Ackerman Serrata for EDC/deer and bushcraft, though I haven't used the Spydie version.

If I could have just one of the above, it would be the Warrior!

Your needs may differ! (Ironically, the one thing I don't need a knife for is combat!)
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Best one I have is the Southfork
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Enkidude

Post by Enkidude »

I voted other. Street Beat.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Serrata. No doubt in my mind.
However, I really need a Phil Wilson custom. I know exactly what I want, just wish he would open his books!