Why do I almost always choose a 3" EDC blade?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What's your preferred/typical/usual blade length for EDC carry?

2" or shorter
3%
2.5"
12%
3"
45%
3.5"
38%
4"
3%
4.5"
No votes
5" or larger
No votes

Total votes: 101

Cujobob

Re: Why do I almost always choose a 3" EDC blade?

Post by Cujobob »

Because of whacky knife laws, I don't usually carry anything over 3" unless I keep it entirely in my jeans pocket and I don't really prefer that.

Otherwise, I find that individual knife ergos dictate which knife I use. For example, the Techno has a short blade but it works for me perfectly. The Manix 2 is also excellent in my hand. When done well, I don't find that blade length is much of a factor.
sdedalus83

Post by sdedalus83 »

Bolster wrote:I don't understand this argument. For the type of work listed above, I'd rather have the following inexpensive utility knife with a 1" blade--it will cut cardboard and strapping better than any of my thicker, pricier knives, and if I slip, I only have to contend with a 1" deep gash. More efficient and safer. (I would love to carry a Spyderco utility knife if they made one.)
I'll take my serrated Byrd Robin2 over a replaceable blade utility knife any day. It's much lighter, more comfortable, easier and faster to deploy, and I'm never going to accidentally leave 1/16th of an inch of blade sticking out the end to cut myself or my pockets. I also only get a day or two from the blades they give us at work, and if I hit a staple that half of the blade is done. I can imagine that if you're at one station most of the day, a good utility knife would be better, but I spend 5 to 7 hours walking, crouching, stooping, and reaching.

It's also nice that a Robin or Dragonfly is non-threatening, so I can wear it in the office or out and about without any worries. That format, 5.6" overall, 1.9" cutting edge with a deep 50/50 choil is ideal for me, as it gives a strong four finger grip and more than enough edge for 95% of what I do in just about the smallest possible package for the effective grip length.
I carry a serrated Robin2 at work, a Cara Cara Rescue 2 in the glove box, and a ZDP Dragonfly or Junior everywhere else. My PM2 sits on a shelf with a small assortment of Kershaws.
Waiting patiently for the Native 5 lightweight and the Lil' Temperance 2.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Bolster wrote:
spyderg wrote: However many working a blue-collar, labour job can surely benefit from a longer blade. Cutting down cardboard from cabinets, appliances, construction materials, you name it. In a warehouse you'll encounter plastic wrap and strapping that you need a longer blade for.
I don't understand this argument. For the type of work listed above, I'd rather have the following inexpensive utility knife with a 1" blade--it will cut cardboard and strapping better than any of my thicker, pricier knives, and if I slip, I only have to contend with a 1" deep gash. More efficient and safer. (I would love to carry a Spyderco utility knife if they made one.)

I think the "blue collar needs longer blade" argument is more cultural, than it is practical. I do blue-collar and white-collar, and my blue-collar work usually requires considerable control of the blade tip. I start to lose that control at 3.5", so seldom carry my Caly 3.5 or my Stretch for blue work.

I would be open to carrying a smaller blade than 3" except every time I need a knife for food prep, I wish I had a 3.5". So I don't really see myself going shorter than 3".

Based on the poll responses so far, looks like the sweet spot is 3.25".

A utility knife with disposable blades will snap too easily and fly off when cutting strapping, too many guys at my work have taken pieces of those things to the face! So if you have to be cutting many different things it makes no sense to carry multiple blades, 1 strong, fairly long blade works best for many warehouse type jobs.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Snap and fly off?? You must be talking the cheapo "snap style" blades--I don't use those, so can't comment. Regards standard double-ended utility blades, in 30 years I've never seen or even heard of a standard utility blade snapping and flying into somebody's face. I've cut miles of strapping and cardboard with utility blades with no incident. Not one of them snapped, exploded, or attacked my face.

Mind you, I don't *like* my Husky utility knife. It inspires no love. It just cuts cardboard better than other knives I own, and does it safely, with controlled and minimum penetration. Actually, I have an old non-folding Stanley utility knife cuts even better, because the disposable blade is locked down firmer--the Husky has some slop in the blade retention.

Anyway, this often-repeated and well-worn argument about cutting cardboard is wandering off topic of preferred blade size. Hey, if you're happy cutting cardboard with your Spyder, more power to you. Not trying to change your approach. Carry on.

The utility knife stays in my toolbox at work, because there are many jobs it can't do as well--that's why I carry a 3" Spyder. (Most my contractors just carry utility knives, though). On a typical day I may need to:

1 - enlarge the opening for a strike plate
2 - shave irregularities off a wood surface in prep for paint (a draw-knife sort of operation)
3 - whittle wood down to create a plug
4 - chamfer a hole or recessed area
5 - cut a zip tie (with exceeding care--I carry scars from doing this wrong)
6 - make a clean cut on masking tape
7 - open a plastic clamshell
8 - strip an electrical wire
9 - cut an apple at lunch or cut a sandwich in two to share with a co-worker.

A 3" Spyder seems to do all the above with ease and elan. Move up to 4" and I start to have trouble with 1, 4, and 8. Move down to 2" and I start to have trouble with 2 (handle gets in the way) & 9. Cut a little cardboard? Use the Sypder. Cut lots of cardboard? Go to the toolbox and get the utility knife--much less wedging action, and no excess blade sticking out = safer.

-
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I've got a blue Husky just like the one pictured, a Stanley and have tried different brands of blades and I can say that all have snapped on me. Don't get me wrong, they can be great for many things, but they can't handle the heavy straps that we get at the warehouse along with a variety of other heavy cutting tasks that I need a blade for.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

OK, I'll take your word for it--I'll not try to cut any more heavy duty strapping with a ute knife. Thanks for the warning.
Last edited by Bolster on Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

PM2, Southard, Caly 3.5, Large Sebenza are the once that see most pockettime. So my prefered lenght for an EDC knife would be 3.5"
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I hardly ever use my knives to cut cardboard because it dulls them far to quick. I use a box cutter or utility knife for that. I have a very specific task at work that requires a utility knife but other than that and boxes I don't find a utility knife good for much.

We always cut banding and strapping with shears where I work. I have had to cut over 600 straps in a day at work. We also have some insane strapping that is extremely thick that we use to band up scrap aluminum bales. I am not cutting that with my knife or a box cutter. Our shears are the size and strength of tin snips.

I do not like to use my spydie for cardboard or strapping. I am a crazy health nut and eat very very healthy and using my knife for food prep truly is a neccesity for me which is why I voted 3.5".
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I hardly ever use my knives to cut cardboard because it dulls them far to quick. I use a box cutter or utility knife for that. I have a very specific task at work that requires a utility knife but other than that and boxes I don't find a utility knife good for much.

We always cut banding and strapping with shears where I work. I have had to cut over 600 straps in a day at work. We also have some insane strapping that is extremely thick that we use to band up scrap aluminum bales. I am not cutting that with my knife or a box cutter. Our shears are the size and strength of tin snips.

I do not like to use my spydie for cardboard or strapping. I am a crazy health nut and eat very very healthy and using my knife for food prep truly is a neccesity for me which is why I voted 3.5".

We have snips at work too, where they are needed all the time, but they are too bulky to carry around so a good solid knife does the trick, also snips/shears don't work for boxes, shrink wrap etc. I usually carry a CRKT Foresight as it's solid as ****, the recurve is great for the kind of slicing involved, and it's relatively inexpensive. I find it too big and heavy for EDC. For that these days I'm carrying my recently acquired Techno.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Carry just one knife? Is it April 1st already?

Good question I just wish there was a I carry two knives all the time option.

Bigger then three inches is good for food prep and breaking down boxes for me. But I carry it more for the one in a million chance it will be pressed into SD use (Firearm retention for the most part) and honestly because I think big knives are cool.

I also love and would be lost without something in the 2' inch blade range for opening boxes and other detail work. Of course whipping it out when or sensitive types are around is an added use. Someone said it already but sometimes I will use the small knife when my daughter is nearby so I don't have to hear the Wife say for the millionth time "be careful, watch for Olivia".

So being no two knife option I will go with 3 inches as a good compromise.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Real-estate for a largish hand leads me to 3.5 (or 3) inch blades as my primary EDC, but my additional EDC might include an LBK or Gentleman's Folder for the sheer pleasure of variety. Today I'm carrying my M4 Manix2 and my Techno.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I can always find ways to use 3.5-4 inches for smaller tasks, but I can't cut a sandwich in half with a carpet knife or a Ladybug. It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Some of ya'll need to look into a proper EDC combo and stop sweating the details so much.
Waco

Re: 3.5" blades rule

Post by Waco »

bh49 wrote:For most of my tasks I am using native5 with 3" blade. The knife has outstanding fit for my hand. I tried to carry just one knife for couple weeks and native did just fine. Except one task. It can cut an apple, but it is easier to use Caly3.5 or big Persian for this. So I am really waiting for Shaman to show up. My vote for 3.5".
Today I carried a knife with a 3" blade and a relatively small handle. I used it to slice an onion this morning and an apple for lunch. Both times, I was wishing for one of my Enduras.
Gerard Breuker

Post by Gerard Breuker »

3.5 inch as I prefer the size of the handle that comes with it.
LC Kid

Around 3"

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

My 'sweet spot' would be something around 3" - 3.5", but right now I don't recall needing a 3.5" blade for anything.

Even better, from 2.5" to 3" just do wonders for my EDC needs. :cool:

And since I use to consider my EDC knives as a package, and not merely limited to blade length, guess I'd even be perfectly comfortable with some light carry 2.5" blade with good ergos and nice materials. :D

On the other side, from something like 10 years ago I just take my +3.5" for outdoors use: off roading, fishing, hunting and camping.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I think 3.5 is plenty big enough for tactical also. Caly 3.5, Kershaw Knockout, Pro Tech TR 3 etc.
Waco

Post by Waco »

Evil D wrote:I can always find ways to use 3.5-4 inches for smaller tasks, but I can't cut a sandwich in half with a carpet knife or a Ladybug. It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Some of ya'll need to look into a proper EDC combo and stop sweating the details so much.
+1
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Evil D wrote:I can always find ways to use 3.5-4 inches for smaller tasks, but I can't cut a sandwich in half with a carpet knife or a Ladybug. It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Here here. My SB Ladybug goes wherever my bigger knives go. They help each other out like good friends do, yet don't get in each other's way, or in my way. The Military/Ladybug pairing is probably my favorite.

That being said, the Military still takes up a lot of pocket space even if it does it as politely and unobtrusively as it does. Some days I just want something smaller. It's a tough question because a lot my favorite knives are in the 3.5 inch range, but I feel like 3 inches is the size that's most comfortable to carry. And I can't forget about my love for the Military. I hate polls. I guess I'll go with 3.5".
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Well. Speaking as the author of the poll, and with the benefit of hindsight, clearly I should have included the option of a 3.25" blade choice. On average, it appears it would have been a very popular choice. Even as a 3" devotee, I would be open to carrying a 3.25" blade. Bring on the Caly 3.25!
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Ha ha, joke's on me. The blade that's been in my pocket of late is the Dialex Jr. I measure its blade at 3.20". So maybe I am already a three-and-a-quarter devotee.