Southard or Domino?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ManixFan

Re: Southard or Domino?

Post by ManixFan »

Molle Ninja wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:
Molle Ninja wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:The Dice is the only one of Spyderco's flippers I would consider.
Curious as to why? My Dice should arrive tomorrow. I wanted the Southard for so long, but being near Los Angeles means that I wanted to buy a flipper that I can actually carry and not worry about going to jail.
The truth? I feel kind of like a dork using a flipper...like I'm doing a parlor trick or something. I dunno, maybe I'm just too self conscious but they make me feel a little too mall ninja-ey. :). I think I would feel less silly using something smaller like the dice.

Edit: No offense intended to those of you who enjoy the flippers. I'm not calling anyone a dork but myself. ;)
I totally get what you're saying. I purposely break out some of my flippers just to annoy my wife. Sometimes one in each hand, firing simultaneously. She's really going to disdain me tomorrow night once I get my hands on the Dice.
I have got an image in my mind that is just way too funny :D
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:Excellent question! One I still have not found an answer to.

Anyhow the reason I replied is because I asked this same question and thought you might find some of them replies helpful. Spoiler alert the voting was tied 20/20.

Here is the link.

http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... =2&t=64815
Not any more :rolleyes:
21-20 Domino in the lead! :D
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I like the ergos, blade shape, and grind more on the Domino myself. The Southard just feels weird in my hand for some reason.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Yeah, it feels weird to me too and that clip is a complete non-starter for me. If I absolutely have to change a clip on I high end knife then there is something inherently wrong in the design for me. But the one good thing is that the blade/handle ratio is incredible. If the blade was FFG and had a different clip then I'd be considering it.......as it was I was seriously considering the all black version of the Southard.

Plus I like playing with the Domino......the speed of the blade opening from that flipper is just incredible!
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

Depends on what you're buying it for. For strict use and EDC literally everyday, get the 204p Domino for it's better cutting performance than the Southard and increased edge retention over the standard Domino.

If you want a knife to fondle and also carry but not depend on it to be an excellent performer, get the Southard by far.
pdptrow

Post by pdptrow »

I have a Southard, Manix 2, and a Sage 1 but not a Domino so this is one sided but these are the reasons I bought it.The Southard is very close to being a custom knife as it is with most of Spyderco's collaborations with knife makers. I liked the length and blade to handle ratio. The blade and handle are almost the same length. I think I prefer longer blade than broad for looks. I also like the Southard for the organic look it has; see pics for explanation. :D

elena86

Post by elena86 »

Strong-Dog wrote:Depends on what you're buying it for. For strict use and EDC literally everyday, get the 204p Domino for it's better cutting performance than the Southard and increased edge retention over the standard Domino.

If you want a knife to fondle and also carry but not depend on it to be an excellent performer, get the Southard by far.
That ^^^^ Domino in CTS-204P steel is the answer.I love mine :D
SpydyLover123

Post by SpydyLover123 »

When the southerd came out it was spydercos first and only flipper. Then the Domino came out. Because they were the only two flippers and are still only two of three they are often compared. In reality can not really be copared to each other because they are completely different designs. It would be like comparing the rocklobster to the sage just because they both dont have flippers. They are not similar at all.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

3rdGenRigger wrote:I like the ergos, blade shape, and grind more on the Domino myself. The Southard just feels weird in my hand for some reason.
Maybe you got weird Canada people hands?
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:
3rdGenRigger wrote:I like the ergos, blade shape, and grind more on the Domino myself. The Southard just feels weird in my hand for some reason.
Mmm...its pretty awkward in my weird gringo hands too. ;)
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:
You'be been watching too much South Park, eh........
......and it is our eyes that are different - not our hands,
It's all about the eyes....... :eek:

But other than that I've got big hands, huge feet and an enormous......ego
So other than the obvious eye thing that South Park points out......pretty much like Americans. :D
adancingmonkey

Post by adancingmonkey »

I'm going to say domino. Being from canada the southard feels weird in my hands. Just kidding, the domino is a great knife and the flipper is excellent. I have the dice as well but the flipper seems much better on my domino. The ergonomics can't be beat, but that's probably because it's so similar to the manix 2 which was my first spydie.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I would go with the Domino. The Southward has a horrible blade shape that curves away from whatever you are trying to cut. It reminds me of an old Kershaw Skyline I bought one time and kept for a week.
Kylems11

Post by Kylems11 »

I would deffinately go with the southard. I was also trying to decide between the 2 and i chose the domino but when i got it right away i realized it just wasnt for me. Then i bought a southard snd wow, its an awsome knife. The domino felt too bulky in my hand and my pocket. The southard does have a larger blade but feels alot better in the hand and in your pocket because it is slimmer. Im also not a big fan of CF but i love g10.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

swigert wrote:OP here. I went with the domino, definitely the right choice for me....

I will throw a review up soon....
Still have not made up my mind so I look froward to your review.

Would be buying one or the other this month but got side tracked by a killer deal on a Para 2.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
KnOeFz

Post by KnOeFz »

swigert wrote:OP here. I went with the domino, definitely the right choice for me....

I will throw a review up soon....
Nice choice... but...
Now you'll keep wondering if this beauty would have statisfied you more forever now :p :D

endgame

Post by endgame »

flip a coin or buyem both.