The future of the Gayle Bradley Air

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FDE

Re: The future of the Gayle Bradley Air

Post by FDE »

I find the Air just a bit too long to carry in my watch pocket without fear of it wiggling out.
If it had a black wire clip with black carbon fiber it would be a GREAT dress, office knife for me! :)
Ned

Post by Ned »

I would love an Air with a wire clip...in fact it would be a must have for me.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Ned wrote:I would love an Air with a wire clip...in fact it would be a must have for me.
I agree. One more vote for wire.
darkangel55555

Post by darkangel55555 »

Molle Ninja wrote:
yablanowitz wrote:
Strong-Dog wrote:
Molle Ninja wrote:The only thing that kept me from buying one is the steel since I live 8 blocks from the Pacific. Strange steel choice, IMO, for a knife that's supposed to be in your pocket all the time. Beautiful lines, though.
M4 isn't supposed to be in your pocket? :confused: :confused: :confused:
Salt air + sweat + CPM M4 = Rust stains in your pocket from the blade.
Exactly!
Not if it's blued, or acid etched and stonewashed, or treated with TuffGlide (or Marine TuffGlide), or oiled regularly between use and cleaned after exposure to bloods, fruit juice, and other acids or liquids.

In my experience (Hoback A8, Hoback A10, Bradley Folder, Bradley Air), M4 is a pretty **** well behaved steel. REX121, on the other hand...

If you use it and keep it clean, it's no hassle. From the time saved from not sharpening as regularly, a quick wipe-down with a dry cloth/towel/tissue will still have you coming out on top.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Personally, I'm glad the Air is set up the way it is. I use is for office carry, usually deep in the pockets of my business suit. The light weight and lack of clip are perfect for my use. And the M4 blade is big enough for almost any cutting task I'd come across during my daily work week.

The Air isn't my first choice when mucking around in the woods with our Boy Scout Troop, however...

TedP
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

So they're bringing this one back with a new part number with the addition of a clip and black scales, right? :D
Going back to Caly.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

jujigatame wrote:As much as I like the wire clip I feel the Air calls more for a sculpted solid clip like on the CRK Mnandi or like the one that was on the original Jess Horn.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?tit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... _right.jpg

It would need to be reworked at the top end to fit around/beside the screw on the Air but if you did it out of Ti it could offer a spot for aesthetic variation with different finishes and/or anodized colors done by the customer themselves or an aftermarket customizer.
That sounds good to me! even natural/matte Ti would look great IMO. Though personally I'd go for a lighter weight, more integrated look.

I have taken a pass on the air, mostly due to its clip-less design.

As far as non-stainless steel for EDC, anyone who isn't sweating like crazy or near salt water shouldn't have any problems... I have pocket carried many high carbon folders over the years, with no major rust issues. Not so long ago good stainless was hard to come by, so many of us stuck with HC for the sharpness and edge holding, a little patina and an occasional orange spot or spider rust line was just expected.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
jackthedog

Post by jackthedog »

I'm in the minority here and think the knife is better without the clip. I would have taken it off if it had come with one. I have no concerns about the detent and accidental opening.

It'll be interesting to see if/how they bring this back.
spydieh0le

Post by spydieh0le »

If a clip was added I would totally buy one! :D
61 Spydies and Counting.

Official Manix Addict :spyder: :
s110v LW,S110v Franken Manix Green G10 Putnam Scales, DLC HG S30v PE,Cruwear(2x), 80mm Lockback,HG S30v Full SE, Tan M4,Foliage Green CTS-XHP,Burgundy CTS-BD30P Franken Sprint ,Moonglow,XHP LW,Maxamelt LW

Hunting the Elusive s90v CF Manix 2 Sprint Run
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I advocated for a clip before the release. I don't think a liner lock makes a good pocket knife. A backlock with a more secure self-close is ideal, IMO.
I bought one anyway and made a leather sheath for it. It will never see much carry time because I prefer a knife clipped to my pocket; it's what I'm used to. I think if they released this with a sculpted clip I'd buy another. Although I like the wire clip, I don't think that would induce me to buy another.
FDE

Post by FDE »

Really hopeing this one isn't gone for good and that my dreams of Carbon Fiber and deep carry wire clip come true!
Bolster

Put a Clip On It

Post by Bolster »

I've wanted to buy the Air since it was introduced. I'm into ultralight backpacking and this would be an amazing knife for that purpose. But I won't buy one without a clip. Too easy to lose.

And I really don't like the feel of a knife in the bottom of a pocket, pressing against the leg, while hiking. Plus, many types of ultralight pants and shorts don't have pockets at all.

Those few who don't want a clip on it, could remove a wire clip easily, just remove one screw. But putting a clip on a clipless knife? Difficult.

Put a factory clip on it, and .... sold.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I'd be open to the addition of a wire clip to the Air, but I'd probably still carry it without the clip in most cases. To me, the Air is the quintessential "gentleman's folder." Very light, elegant, but still incredibly functional. I am truly saddened to see it be discontinued. I will probably have to pick up an extra as a pre-need replacement.

On a different note, I personally think that part of what may have hurt the Air (in terms of sale performance) might be due to it having a Wharncliffe blade vs. a drop/clip/leaf style blade. Sal said a few years ago that Wharncliffe-bladed knives are more of a niche market. Anyway, I wonder if Mr. Bradley would be open to an Air 2 version that features a pocket clip and possible a different blade shape?
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

SpyderNut wrote:On a different note, I personally think that part of what may have hurt the Air (in terms of sale performance) might be due to it having a Wharncliffe blade vs. a drop/clip/leaf style blade. Sal said a few years ago that Wharncliffe-bladed knives are more of a niche market. Anyway, I wonder if Mr. Bradley would be open to an Air 2 version that features a pocket clip and possible a different blade shape?
Blade shape was one of the reasons I passed on the Bradley Air and went with the Chaparral instead. I'm not a user of clips, but do love a lanyard hole. I modded the clip on my Chaparral to use it as a lanyard and am happy with it. I also like a wider blade shape as I find it more useful to me. (Ever try to spread mayo with a clip point stockman blade?) Of course that would mean a total redesign of the air, I think I would have gotten one if the blade had at least a little belly, I've just never warmed up to the wharncliffe blade shape.

Grizz
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

gdwtvb wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:On a different note, I personally think that part of what may have hurt the Air (in terms of sale performance) might be due to it having a Wharncliffe blade vs. a drop/clip/leaf style blade. Sal said a few years ago that Wharncliffe-bladed knives are more of a niche market. Anyway, I wonder if Mr. Bradley would be open to an Air 2 version that features a pocket clip and possible a different blade shape?
Blade shape was one of the reasons I passed on the Bradley Air and went with the Chaparral instead. I'm not a user of clips, but do love a lanyard hole. I modded the clip on my Chaparral to use it as a lanyard and am happy with it. I also like a wider blade shape as I find it more useful to me. (Ever try to spread mayo with a clip point stockman blade?) Of course that would mean a total redesign of the air, I think I would have gotten one if the blade had at least a little belly, I've just never warmed up to the wharncliffe blade shape.

Grizz
Yes, I agree about the thin blade issue when spreading Mayo. ;) I've had similar issues with trying to spread peanut butter with a thin blade. Anyway, I agree also on the need for a lanyard hole on the Air. If no pocket clip, a lanyard would be very nice to have.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Lack of a clip is the main reason why I never bought the Air. If it came back with a wire clip, I would buy it.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

I often carry large SAKs in my pocket so have no issues with the Air not having a clip.

Although the fact it is going away makes me a sad panda.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.