CF Yo 2 sticky comp lock

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bradley

CF Yo 2 sticky comp lock

Post by Bradley »

My yo 2 is locking up funny. When disengaging it isn't smooth at all :/ reminiscent of my para 2 that has been flicked hard many times. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?
Strong-Dog

Re: CF Yo 2 sticky comp lock

Post by Strong-Dog »

Loosen pivot on both sides. Oil pivot on both sides. Tighten pivot on both sides. Adjust stop pin after you do those things and they don't work. Make sure to flick it open a bunch to let it wear in.

I know it seems like oiling the pivot and re-tightening it wouldn't affect the comp lock, but it will :)
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

Well the pivot is smoother. the lock just still doesnt seem that smooth. Gonna let it break in some more!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Both mine are sticky, not at all uncommon. They need wore in. There's a metal to metal contact that needs to wear into each other.
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

The sticky compression lock issue has come about here and there with the Para and Para 2 over the years. It happens. As David says above, it usually works itself out over time. Happened with one of my Para 2's and it gradually went away with use.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

My Yo 2 S90V is very smooth, but the lock is incredibly sticky. On the other hand, my Para 2 never had a sticky lock.
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

You could try the pencil trick as well. Just use a normal pencil, and fill in the lock face with a little bit of graphite, and after maybe 20 openings it'll be smooth again. I just did it with my Para 2 last night. It should work for you. :)
Drew78

Post by Drew78 »

What are the symptoms of sticky lock? I just got my yo2 cf and when I apply some pressure on the lock up and down I get some felt movement. I can't see the blade moving, but can feel a little flex. Is this part of the lock sticking a bit and not engaging deep enough into the tang to eliminate any flex?
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

A "sticky lock" is when the metal of the lock binds with the tang of the blade and makes it very difficult to disengage the lock. Basically, the lock gets stuck.
Drew78

Post by Drew78 »

Thanks for the reply.

Can any of you guys get any vertical play when you apply pressure?
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

Drew78 wrote:Thanks for the reply.

Can any of you guys get any vertical play when you apply pressure?
You really shouldn't get any vertical play, so I'd try sending it back to Spyderco and let them fix it. How much play are you getting?
Drew78

Post by Drew78 »

Its hard to quantify on line. I can't see the blade move, but there is a tiny bit of movement.
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

If it really bothers you, send it in. If I just bought an expensive knife and it had vertical blade play, I would send it in. It should be covered by the warranty, since that would be a factory defect. Good luck, and keep us updated! :)
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

no vertical play. but a little side to side, and I haven't even adjusted to pivot
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It really just needs worn into a groove on the tang. My user is already a lot smoother and just from playing with it while browsing forums at my desk, I haven't carried it or cut anything yet. .
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Personally I like the comp lock to be a little sticky. Feels more secure in my opinion. Then again if you're having to use 2 hands to close it i could understand the issue. I find the CF yo2s lock up pretty early which means they should take quite a while to wear giving this knife an extended life. Of course considering S90V i think it will outlast most of us.
SpydyLover123

Post by SpydyLover123 »

I had the same problem with one of my liner locks. I know it is not the same lock but after a while is wore itself out.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

SpydyLover123 wrote:I had the same problem with one of my liner locks. I know it is not the same lock but after a while is wore itself out.
Yep, same exact issue. The lock tab has to seat itself against the tang of the blade. Sometimes the mating surfaces come out of the factory better or worse than others, resulting in varying degrees of smoothness. My last Military was quite bad and took a lot of opening and closing to smooth out but it did eventually come around.

If a person didn't care about warranty and wanted to try something (like myself, since I'm about to mod one of mine anyway) I would try polishing the face of the lock bar with a cotton wheel on a Dremel with some polishing compound. I would be VERY careful with this, as removing metal will result in taking life out of the lock and potentially create blade play, and though polishing does remove metal, it removes a negligible amount if you don't overdo it.
Drew78

Post by Drew78 »

I got my second cf yo2 in the mail today. This one is perfect. My last one is headed to the mother ship.
victorf

Post by victorf »

I put a single pin head sized Krytox with straighten paper clip, in the detent socket and rub the left over on the ball to help break ins, on all my compression, frame and liner locks.

Krytox will greatly minimize abnormal metal to metal wear and it is an extremely tenacious synthetic lube, rather expensive. That pin head size will adhere and probably provide lubrication for years while others have failed.