Natives: Which is your favorite?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bh49

Re: Natives: Which is your favorite?

Post by bh49 »

adancingmonkey wrote:gp knives has a few more native sprints in. The difference between the sprint and the forum knife is just g10 vs cf scales right?
yes, plus etching on the Forum knife blade.
adancingmonkey

Post by adancingmonkey »

k good i like g10 better than CF but i was worried id be missing out on something.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Skywarp wrote:
HarleyXJGuy wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:The coyote brown ones Sal gives our bada$$ soldiers who keep us safe! Thank you for supporting them with great cutlery Sal.
This.

Only because I don't own any and am still holding out to win one. Everyone knows a free Spydie is the best Spydie.

Hmm that reminds me does someone need to sign up every month for the drawing or just the once?
or you could just go to the NAAFI and buy one... ;)
Wait what?! I was under the impression you could not buy them even if in the military?
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:
Skywarp wrote:
HarleyXJGuy wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:The coyote brown ones Sal gives our bada$$ soldiers who keep us safe! Thank you for supporting them with great cutlery Sal.
This.

Only because I don't own any and am still holding out to win one. Everyone knows a free Spydie is the best Spydie.

Hmm that reminds me does someone need to sign up every month for the drawing or just the once?
or you could just go to the NAAFI and buy one... ;)
Wait what?! I was under the impression you could not buy them even if in the military?
No, they are available through military retail channels too. I got an OEF one at a MCSS in Germany and bought an OIF one in a BX in FL. You just have to keep your eyes open for them now that you know to be looking. ;)
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

mb1 wrote:
JD Spydo wrote: I tend to like the Golden Colorado USA EArth made Natives the best but I also had an AUS-10, combo edged, stainless handled model that also worked great.
Which Natives are not made in Golden?
The II (SS, AUS-10), III (3D FRN, VG-10), & IV (CF, VG-10) variants were all made in Japan.

I think for pure aesthetics, the Native IV is my favorite. Runner-up would be the Fluted Ti Native V. Honorable mention for a Native I in 440V SE which I gifted to a buddy; I bought that knife while we were assigned together as students in a NCO academy and forwarded it on to him a couple years later.
BTG

Post by BTG »

The Deacon wrote:This Native V, customized with Mexican Ebony scales by Gull Wing...
...my only regret is that Spyderco didn't eliminate the swedge completely.

Love this knife, very nice looking.
MadRookie

Post by MadRookie »

All day, everyday.....

ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Wow!

I only decided this week that the N5 G10 was for me.... to discover there are none.

The other Natives look too "stabby" for me, but the G10 looks to be at my perfect convergence of quality and price, and so a good user rather than drawer - queen.
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

Native IV is my favorite, followed by the fluted Ti Native V.
D-Roc

Post by D-Roc »

My SE CPM-440V
Qcrazy

Post by Qcrazy »

I have many of the natives though always carry my Native I lightweight with S30V. I have never owned a C78 Native III and always wanted one. The hunt continues even though I've slowed my collection addiction.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Wow, MadRookie, slick work! Gotta love some Speedholes! That jimping is pretty wild too. Alright, so now that is my favorite Native. :)
Not sure if that is something you are into, but by chance did you get a total before and after weight to see how much you shed?
Going back to Caly.
MadRookie

Post by MadRookie »

SpeedHoles wrote:Wow, MadRookie, slick work! Gotta love some Speedholes! That jimping is pretty wild too. Alright, so now that is my favorite Native. :)
Not sure if that is something you are into, but by chance did you get a total before and after weight to see how much you shed?
Some comparison shots of my stock Sprint Native 5 CF S110V and my modded one.

Mass was reduced from 100g (stock) to 86g on the modded one - 14% lighter - simply a dream to EDC.

:)
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

Sweet mod!
JD Spydo

Re: Natives>> 440V, SE is KING!

Post by JD Spydo »

D-Roc wrote:My SE CPM-440V
Wow!! Another 440V, SE Native!! So I'm not the only one who has had excellent luck with that Golden, Colorado, USA Earth made Native from the late 90s and early 2000s :cool: No wonder I'm having a lot of trouble finding back up units for my 440V, SE Native and 440V SE Military models :rolleyes: Because there are a lot of Brothers like yourself that discovered what I found out about those 440V models>> they are just rugged beyond belief!!! I'll take an old 440V SE over a S30V Native any day of the week. For Spyderedges 440V and ATS-55 are rapidly becoming my favorite blade steels for Spyderedges :cool:

Even the FRN handles on those older 440V SE Natives are surprisingly rugged as crocidile hide :eek: It wouldn't hurt my feelings a bit if they did any kind of a Sprint run with 440V blade steel. The only negative is that 440V is truly a monster to sharpen :eek: But it's worth it because a well sharpened 440V Spyderedge is a beast that will serve you well. :cool:
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

MadRookie wrote:
SpeedHoles wrote:Wow, MadRookie, slick work! Gotta love some Speedholes! That jimping is pretty wild too. Alright, so now that is my favorite Native. :)
Some comparison shots of my stock Sprint Native 5 CF S110V and my modded one.

Mass was reduced from 100g (stock) to 86g
:)
Wow, very trick! About half an ounce of material, impressive!
Happen to offer these services to others?
Going back to Caly.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

That's freakin awesome MadRookie!
D-Roc

Re: Natives>> 440V, SE is KING!

Post by D-Roc »

JD Spydo wrote:
D-Roc wrote:My SE CPM-440V
Wow!! Another 440V, SE Native!! So I'm not the only one who has had excellent luck with that Golden, Colorado, USA Earth made Native from the late 90s and early 2000s :cool: No wonder I'm having a lot of trouble finding back up units for my 440V, SE Native and 440V SE Military models :rolleyes: Because there are a lot of Brothers like yourself that discovered what I found out about those 440V models>> they are just rugged beyond belief!!! I'll take an old 440V SE over a S30V Native any day of the week. For Spyderedges 440V and ATS-55 are rapidly becoming my favorite blade steels for Spyderedges :cool:

Even the FRN handles on those older 440V SE Natives are surprisingly rugged as crocidile hide :eek: It wouldn't hurt my feelings a bit if they did any kind of a Sprint run with 440V blade steel. The only negative is that 440V is truly a monster to sharpen :eek: But it's worth it because a well sharpened 440V Spyderedge is a beast that will serve you well. :cool:

Yea...I can't recall exactly when I purchased mine. Maybe 2001 or 2002 maybe? And guess what? My favorite Military is my 440V Se, hahahaha. Also love my Chinook 1 in 440V as well...And yes, you're right, my 440V Military was a bear to sharpen with my 204 for a looonnnnggg time before the serrations wore in. It was brutal.
Tell me, JD why do like ATS-55 so much? I don't dislike it at all, It's on a lot of my Spyderco's. Just curious, because I've heard of more than a few who didn't really like it. One of my Endura's with SE had that steel and one time when I was on an exercise in the Army, some shampoo got on the blade of that knife when it was in my shave kit (where I kept my backups) for a short time and it corroded and pitted. Bad. I KNOW my Endura II AUS-6 would have laughed at the shampoo...No big deal, battle scars I guess.
D-Roc

Post by D-Roc »

I also really wanted an Operation Enduring Freedom (I think that was the campaign they were etched with, if I'm wrong, please correct me). I searched when I was in Afghanistan at the PX, but there was none...Only the CRKT M16-14SF in tan, which cost me like 16 bucks IIRC and I totally beat the crap out of it.
Anyone have any pics of this model native?
paladin

Post by paladin »

Really lovin' my LW Native 5 right now...

The brown XHP is a favorite also!