Keeping down the numbers

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Skywarp

Keeping down the numbers

Post by Skywarp »

I started buying Spydies in the search of that one perfect knife but ended up with a bit of a collection. I then sold 2 PM2 sprints, a glow Manix 2, 2 glow Native 5s, an Emerson Endura, a G10 UKPK, 2 Pingos and some Benchmade / Boker knives.

Problem is, now I'm starting another collection - I just can't help it! :-)

Do you guys try and keep your Spydie-loot to a minimum or just find space for what you can afford?

I'm happy with what I have but with talk of a sprint Pingo and frn Urban I just have to have them!
bearfacedkiller

Re: Keeping down the numbers

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have no safe queens. I always use knives that I buy. If I have a spare that is unused I am not collecting it but rather it is a pre-need replacement. With spydercos constantly evolving product line if you like something grab two because it may not be around forever.

My edc rotation consists of around 20 knives and if one is getting left out too much it gets sold.

If I was just trying to find my perfect EDC, that one (two for me, i always carry two)perfect knife I would have stopped a long time ago and just kept my Para2 and Delica
adancingmonkey

Post by adancingmonkey »

I bought the lightweight manix 2 as my first spyderco at the beginning of the last year. My collection has quickly grown to 10 knives, but I only carry my dice on a regular basis. If I did not work in an office however I probably would carry a manix 2. I like collecting though so I am curious to see what it grows to in a few more years.
Skywarp

Post by Skywarp »

My Urban was replaced by my Superblue Delica as EDC. Its great but not perfect.
The back lock let's it down for me. I'd love to see a compression lock Delica with sabre grind. That might be my perfect EDC even if not strictly legal where I live.
I should probably also mention that I don't flaunt the law, I'm just careful where I carry my knives. EDC does not include football or the pub.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I buy what I have a legit need for, if you can honestly say anyone has a need for high end super steel knives lol. I have accumulated more than I expected to as of late, but I'm always looking to offload the ones I don't use to new owners. I'm getting to the point where each one is unique enough to have a particular use, so at least I can justify them in that way.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Why?

I mean, if you can afford it, why not keep as many as you want? That is my philosophy. One more Spydie is one better!
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

Ive carried the same Military for the last five years.

It was a factory second and the only knife I had after selling my sizeable collection 4 years ago.

I just recently bought 4 new Spydies and an expensive 'mid-tech' (yet to arrive). All knives I see using, but probably wont buy any more in the near future because these 6 knives meet all my needs and style preferences.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

My answer is nearly identical to bearface. The only knife I have duplicates of is the delica, and those just live in particular places (range bag, office drawer etc). All of mine get carried and used, but I surely have more than any non knife nut would consider "practically necessary." I have probably 16 folders and 3 fixed blades, and each one is special in its own way. I'm not particularly demanding on knives, and some of them have barely needed a sharpening at all, but it's a hobby I enjoy so I don't sweat the relatively minor investment.

I've never troubled myself to find the "one perfect knife" as probably half of mine would qualify at one point or another. Variety is the spice of life, and it's nice to have options.
Skywarp

Post by Skywarp »

GoldenSpydie wrote:Why?

I mean, if you can afford it, why not keep as many as you want? That is my philosophy. One more Spydie is one better!
Because collecting things without purpose or necessity is a mental illness... :-)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I just have very refined taste. Once I really feel comfortable carrying a knife, I almost feel guilty if I carry something else. Guilty isn't the right word, but it's a similar feeling. Because of my specific preferences and my weird feelings, it just doesn't make sense to buy a huge variety, they'd just sit in the box and be neglected.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I tried as hard as I could to never sell a spyderco but eventually my spending caught up with me. I had to sell the few knives that never get carried that I'm just not in love with. There's only so much money I can invest in knives.

My collection seems to always hover around the 35 knives mark. Once or gets up there I usually thin the herd. I've got a few in mind for the chopping block should any more awesome surprise sprints pop up.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Do duplicates count?

It just occurred to me that I now own 3 Yojimbo 2's lol.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Which do you prefer David? As much as I love peel ply carbon fiber I'm glad G-10 is what is usually used on knives.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Which do you prefer David? As much as I love peel ply carbon fiber I'm glad G-10 is what is usually used on knives.
Hard to say, this is my first peel ply but I really like it. When I get time to start sanding on it and reshaping the grip and get it closer to my G10 version, I'll let ya know. How does the texture hold up vs. G10? I seem to recall someone posting a while back that they both loose their initial new "bite" after about the same amount of EDC.

But aside from the handle, it's all about the steel for me. I'd have paid a pretty sum just for the blade to swap into my G10 handles if that were my only option.
Reject

Post by Reject »

Skywarp wrote:

Because collecting things without purpose or necessity is a mental illness... :-)
:D Firstly, let me assure you; that sanity is highly over rated.

Perhaps you are correct.
But the same could said of any collector.

Why have more postage stamps than you need to post the letters you have. Yet collectors will pay a 100 times more money for a rare stamp than any Spydie has ever sold for.

Do you have any friends that collect something; it could be bottle tops, baseball cards, model cars, real cars, axes or military vehicles. When they show you their collection and start to talk about each item in minute detail. Instead just shaking your head and walking away; have a look at the sparkle in their eyes; listen to pride and passion in their voices.

That is just part of what collecting can give you. There is also the search, the hunt for that rare item and for that bargain. The anticipation, when waiting for it to arrive and the smile it puts on your face when you finally get to handle it.

You may not share their passion for what they collect, but don’t you maybe, feel a little bit of envy for the joy and passion they get out of it.

Very few people become collectors by intent, it just kind of creeps up on you. One day you look at the number of items you have and think “Dam! I’m a collector, how the ****, did that happen?”

I collect Spyderco knives; it’s a big collect, but small compared to some and not practically refined. In fact it’s all over the place.

I’ve never sold a single one, I’ve traded a few and I’ve given some away, but just can’t bring myself to sell any.

It is not the most important thing in my life and if circumstances change; there could be bloody great Spyderco fire sale here down under.

People that don’t collect will never understand those that do. Until they discover a passion of their own.

PS. :D Museums are just collectors that use other people's money to buy the things that they love.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Good on you, Reject.

You hit that nail right on the head.
Skywarp

Post by Skywarp »

Evil D wrote:Do duplicates count?

Yes they do!
Strangely, I sold all the knives that I had duplicates if except the PM2 but I never had more than 1 of the same sprint there.
Skywarp

Post by Skywarp »

Reject, I agree with you but at a certain point, I start to get some guilt for amassing a collection which I will never entirely use. I guess there are some things I have to own even if just for a while...
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Reject wrote: there could be bloody great Spyderco fire sale here down under.
Maate, brother, it's me, your hairy cousin IT. We both love Spydies & each other - right ?
O.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Evil D wrote:Do duplicates count?

You're safe there, David. Triplicates aren't duplicates.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”