Salt 1 Question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sgreiss44

Salt 1 Question

Post by sgreiss44 »

Greetings everyone- just registered for the forum (have been reading for a while) and have owned Spydercos since my first Mariner (all metal) in the mid-80s. I have many more since then.

I have a question about the Salt 1. I have 2 of them ... I would like to do a scale 'upgrade' on one of the two.
Is there anyone out there that does something like that? I would be interested in G-10 or Cocobolo or something a little 'dressier'---

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Steve
Rockville MD
Strong-Dog

Re: Salt 1 Question

Post by Strong-Dog »

This doesn't answer your question, but here is what I would do (if you care to know): Sell one of your Salts, and use that money and the money you would have used on scales towards a totally new knife that you've always wanted.
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

I wouldn't suggest it on a salt. As many of them are pinned construction meaning they won't come apart so you will have to literally break some pieces and then will be starting from scratch aka with a blade, lock mechanism and clip and have to machine out the handle which would be very difficult IMO since it is one solid piece. I would suggest if you want custom scales to pick a different knife, maybe one with g10 handles that are easily removed like the manix 2, para 2, native etc. Good luck and let us know what you decide to do!
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

The Salt 1 is screw construction, and can be taken apart quite easily.

spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Depends when he got the salts. All of mine are pinned construction.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I recall someone had STR class-up a Tasman. The scales were carved Titanium or Aluminium and that would have been a pinned version.

Anything is possible if you are handy with tools or are willing to find someone who is. The first path is likely much more economical than the latter.
Ned

Post by Ned »

I would love a titanium scaled Salt! Welcome to the forum.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Ned wrote:I would love a titanium scaled Salt! Welcome to the forum.
Would you prefer the titanium scales to have the checkering or volcano grip or be smooth metal in that variation?

I would personally want checkered scales of titanium, for a better grip with watery conditions.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

The big issue is that the Salt1 scales are all one piece. Wood is going to be very difficult to work with in this application - you need some strength to handle the backspring. You would probably need to use a synthetic for the backspring housing - which would make this a multi-piece scale.

You might be able to glue up some G10 or Micarta more successfully. That wouldn't be exceedingly difficult - but would take a lot of trial-and-error... And it probably wouldn't be inexpensive...

TedP