How flat are the triangle Sharpmaker rods?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Chumango

How flat are the triangle Sharpmaker rods?

Post by Chumango »

Just curious how much variability there is to the flatness to the Sharpmaker rods. How flat are yours? Have you ever checked them by holding them together and seeing light between them?
LC Kid

Perfect Dead Flat

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Chumango!

Mine are pretty much perfect flat. :spyder:

I have the Medium, Fine, Ultra Fine and Diamond Rods, and every single one of them are perfect dead flat no matter what.
JD Spydo

Re: How flat are the triangle Sharpmaker rods?

Post by JD Spydo »

That's a very interesting point that Chumango brings up>> because some of my triangular 204 Sharpmaker rods are not perfect. It seems like 2 of my ultra fine stones are not perfectly flat for whatever reason. I've also noticed that one of my fine stones on my original kit that I got back in the late 90s/early 2000s seems to have a bit of a high ridge on it.

I haven't bought any new stones for either one of my 204 Sharpmaker kits for at least 3 years or better. Now I also have one fine grit 302 Benchstone that is not perfectly flat>> I got a replacement for it a long time ago and just went ahead and kept the imperfect one for certain woodworking tool uses I had for it.

I'm sure that Spyderco will replace any defective or imperfect stones you might discover. All of the stones I've encountered that are not totally perfect were all made a long time ago.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

I dont use my Sharpmaker guided, I use it freehand and always avoid one of my brown rods as it has a big curve to it. I have been tempted to claim warranty but never did, the other 3 rods are perfect
Chumango

Post by Chumango »

When I hold the rods together, comparing all combinations of sides for the medium and fine rods there are only 2 of the 36 combinations where I don't see light between them. Some are better than others. One combination involving the two fines looks pretty dead flat. That means all of the other surfaces are not. One side of a brown rod is noticeably off.
Clip

Post by Clip »

One brown rod has a mean curve. I compensate by not being able to hold the knife perfectly on every stroke :D