9/11 knives on sale.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GoldenSpydie

Re: 9/11 knives on sale.

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Just got back from the SFO. The chance to buy a WTC on 9/11 and pick it out at the Spyderco HQ was just too much to pass up.

Apparently the "extras" were on the high end of the serial numbers that they made. I think I remember hearing that they stopped just before 2000--is that correct? I know that they intended to produce 2,819 (the number of victims of the attack), but I believe that they cut off production early because of lack of sales? Is that right?

Anyway, I present to you: WTC #1850.

Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

What an opportunity! I have one WTC knife I purchased on the secondary market, but I have two sons so I just ordered another WTC knife. Knowing some of the proceeds go to 9/11 Memorial charities is a really great gesture by Spyderco.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Just put in my order as well. This is one of my grail knives and I've wanted to get one for a long time. I'm happy to have the opportunity to pick one up. Now Sal, let me know if you manage to find a stash of 25th Anniversary Delicas in some corner of the warehouse. :p
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

GoldenSpydie wrote:Apparently the "extras" were on the high end of the serial numbers that they made. I think I remember hearing that they stopped just before 2000--is that correct? I know that they intended to produce 2,819 (the number of victims of the attack), but I believe that they cut off production early because of lack of sales? Is that right?
Not correct. Mr. Blonde has #2507 and has had it for many years.
-Kyle

GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

jabba359 wrote:
GoldenSpydie wrote:Apparently the "extras" were on the high end of the serial numbers that they made. I think I remember hearing that they stopped just before 2000--is that correct? I know that they intended to produce 2,819 (the number of victims of the attack), but I believe that they cut off production early because of lack of sales? Is that right?
Thanks for straightening that out. Now, with that information, I wonder why the "extras" would come from near the middle of the batch?
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

GoldenSpydie wrote:
jabba359 wrote:
Thanks for straightening that out. Now, with that information, I wonder why the "extras" would come from near the middle of the batch?
That's a great question! By the way, congrats on picking up another one of these. You've got quite the collection of rare Spydies.
-Kyle

sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

So did they produce all 2819 of them?
Stugots-II

Post by Stugots-II »

Incase you guys are wondering, when I called to place my order I asked Rachael why they have them and she told me they kept them over the years for warranty purposes. So they are the originals that they kept around for that purpose.

Yeah the price is a lot but I remember way back when they had this knife and I passed. For me it's for a good cause, and I know what the number on the blade represents. Also to have a piece of that steel in my hands (the inlay) is worth it too. I will use it...how much that is for debate but it is something in our American history to have. Not to mention from a great company like Spyderco who cares.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Stugots-II wrote:Incase you guys are wondering, when I called to place my order I asked Rachael why they have them and she told me they kept them over the years for warranty purposes. So they are the originals that they kept around for that purpose.

Yeah the price is a lot but I remember way back when they had this knife and I passed. For me it's for a good cause, and I know what the number on the blade represents. Also to have a piece of that steel in my hands (the inlay) is worth it too. I will use it...how much that is for debate but it is something in our American history to have. Not to mention from a great company like Spyderco who cares.
Yes, exactly, as shown by this quote from the Spyderco web page:

"In the unlikely event that any of the World Trade Center knives had manufacturing flaws, Spyderco produced a limited number of extra knives to accommodate warranty or repair issues. These additional knives have remained in our archives until now."

Maybe someone from Spyderco (Sal? Kristi?) could provide info on how many were made and why the extras came from the middle of the serial numbers. I am really curious about these two questions.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

For the Spyderco World Trade Center Knife to be made available once again is an outstanding opportunity! If you don't own one, now's a good time to get one.
sal

Post by sal »

GoldenSpydie wrote:
Stugots-II wrote: Maybe someone from Spyderco (Sal? Kristi?) could provide info on how many were made and why the extras came from the middle of the serial numbers. I am really curious about these two questions.
We made and sold somewhere around 2200 - 2400. The balance of the handles were destroyed. Customers were able to select their own numbers up to 2819 which accounts for the spread.

We charged more for these to maximize donation and try to reduce flipping. We've seen them go for up to $1000 and we would prefer that recipients purchase them for their own possession rather than for resale.

Hope that helps.

sal
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Hi Sal, I agree 100% and thank you for making them available again. Any way we NY'ers well away from NYC could somehow order one of these? I would really like to add one to my collection, and would prefer to give you my payment info directly via the SFO. Thanks, Radioactive
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

sal wrote:
GoldenSpydie wrote:
Stugots-II wrote: Maybe someone from Spyderco (Sal? Kristi?) could provide info on how many were made and why the extras came from the middle of the serial numbers. I am really curious about these two questions.
We made and sold somewhere around 2200 - 2400. The balance of the handles were destroyed. Customers were able to select their own numbers up to 2819 which accounts for the spread.

We charged more for these to maximize donation and try to reduce flipping. We've seen them go for up to $1000 and we would prefer that recipients purchase them for their own possession rather than for resale.

Hope that helps.

sal
Awesome Sal, thanks for the reply! Nothing better than clarification from the man himself.

That explanation makes sense. I knew that the full 2819 were not produced, but the wide variation of numbers was confusing. Thanks so much for helping that make sense.

Two more questions:

1. Since the original fund that the WTC profits went to has closed (I think?), I am curious which organization was chosen for this batch. From the wording of the web page, I'm assuming the 9/11 memorial museum--is that correct?

2. The two wooden boxes are quite different. The one from the original release (#0121) is much darker than the new (#1850) box. The original box looks more like cherry while the new box is more maple colored. Also, the old box has wooden pegs holding it together, while the new box does not have pegs. The old box's lid extends about 1/4 inch past the edge of the box to provide a lip to lift it by, while the new box does not. Finally, the "R" below the :spyder: is smaller on the new box.

This makes me wonder if the box was:

A. redesigned part of the way through the original run, and both of my boxes are from the original run
B. redesigned for the release of "extras"

It doesn't matter either way to me, but it was interesting to notice the differences.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi RS,

I believe that Kelly thought that due to the nature of the knife, that we could ship to NY. This was stillbeing discussed yesterday. Some laws have no purpose, Follow the money, I guess.

GS,

1. We're communicating with the Memorial now. That would be our first choice.

2. The boxes were made in 500 pc batches, by hand. I'm sure there is variation

sal
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

Hey Sal,

Do you by chance has some list of numbers still available? Just wondered if one can be picked out!

Thx.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Deleted
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

FWIW, I've had the WTC Knife in these photos for close to ten years, the photos themselves are over nine years old, and the box is the one that came with the knife. If someone were to ask me to describe the box's wood, I'd call it maple. I've seen some that were darker, some that looked almost the color of the cocobolo box for the 25th Anniversary Delica, but most have been like mine.

Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
chloe

Post by chloe »

I would love to get one to go next to the commemorative 9-11, 2001 red anodized Surefire I have had for about three years. They made 1000 of the lights.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

sal wrote:Hi RS,

I believe that Kelly thought that due to the nature of the knife, that we could ship to NY. This was stillbeing discussed yesterday. Some laws have no purpose, Follow the money, I guess.

GS,

1. We're communicating with the Memorial now. That would be our first choice.

2. The boxes were made in 500 pc batches, by hand. I'm sure there is variation

sal
I will never fail to be impressed by the designer and owner jumping in with all of the answers. It's just amazing--Sal you rock. :)
Stugots-II

Post by Stugots-II »

sir_mike wrote:Hey Sal,

Do you by chance has some list of numbers still available? Just wondered if one can be picked out!

Thx.
I inquired about that yesterday when I called the SFO and Rachael said that it would be random. I am sure if you showed up at the SFO doorstep though they'd let you ;)