dogtag worries

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
endgame

dogtag worries

Post by endgame »

I have one comming and I bought a titanium ball necklace and a stainless split ring to mount it.I am worried about the s30v rusting from sweat.I have had s30v rust very easly before without getting wet.I no its coated but will this coating prevent rust?maybe they should have gone with h1since sweat is salt water .im hoping this coating stops rust?what are youre opinions+
Blerv

Re: dogtag worries

Post by Blerv »

endgame wrote:I have one comming and I bought a titanium ball necklace and a stainless split ring to mount it.I am worried about the s30v rusting from sweat.I have had s30v rust very easly before without getting wet.I no its coated but will this coating prevent rust?maybe they should have gone with h1since sweat is salt water .im hoping this coating stops rust?what are youre opinions+
I would keep it clean and wipe it with a little mineral oil whenever you want to wear it for the day. Not sure if it will keep it completely rust-free but it sure is better than not trying anything.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Isn't there a black coated version coming soon? Maybe that would hold up better?
:bug-red-white
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

If you wipe it and oil it every day, I can't imagine there would be any problems. Also, wear it blade side out.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

As long as the blade side is out it shouldn't be too bad, or better yet on the outside of your shirt. I find S30V to be quite corrosion resistant, and the stonewashed finish is probably even better than satin finish for this role. I also have heard tell of a black version, which would ultimately be the best option. But since you already have one coming, you could also take the blade out of the current version and have it coated for you, in any colour or pattern you want. I'll see if I can find the company that I've heard does it.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
endgame

Post by endgame »

I will just try to oil it and wipe it down allot I cant wait to get it.dies anyone no what they coated the blade with?
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I'd hit the blade with some Tuf-Glide or Miltec. That should help keep it safe.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I wear a VG-10 Jester around my neck most days. It has never received any sort of maintenance or care and it is just fine. May I ask where you ordered the titanium ball necklace from?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
endgame

Post by endgame »

Carreaway.com they have a great deal on 60cm titanium ball chains.I would trudt vg10 before s30v it rusts very for me
Holland

Post by Holland »

I would just add tuff-glide. After doing that I wouldn't worry about it
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

endgame wrote:Carreaway.com they have a great deal on 60cm titanium ball chains.I would trudt vg10 before s30v it rusts very for me
I get no results from carreaway.com

Is that the correct spelling?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
endgame

Post by endgame »

Sorry its carreway.com the cheapest around by far type search area on top of page "titanium ball chain"cobra I have extra stainless split rings if you want some pm youre adress if you want oneor two
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I don't know, maybe it's just me but I would prefer to deal with corrosion (or less corrosion) using natural methods than a synthetic rust inhabitant like Tuf-Cloth/Glide if it's going to be rubbing against your skin.

IMO, start with something like mineral oil or candle wax. If that doesn't work you can step up to something more chemical or try other methods of keeping the blade dry/clean. Even turning it around is a great idea.
endgame

Post by endgame »

It said coatrd blade does anyone no what its coated with
303_enfield

Post by 303_enfield »

Want to stop rust? Do what the Brits/MOD did, paint it. But your worrying about nothing. I have worn a P38 (can opener for you young pups) on my "dog tags" (ID tags) for 24+ years. If it rusts, clean it off.
Always looking for the right one :)