Slysz Bowie!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Popsickle

Re: Slysz Bowie!

Post by Popsickle »

Cujobob wrote:First time Sebenza owners often have that same experience. They are simple, elegant knives, no flash, no gimmicks, etc. The Techno has a coolness about it because of it's overbuilt nature, blue backspacer, and being so small considering how chunky it is.

If you were to buy this as a custom, especially on the second hand market, you'd pay many times what it costs. But then, you'd have a collectible and not a knife you'd actually use. Same with the other new premium Spyderco knives. You'll have to value things like contoured handles and small finish details to appreciate what it offers, I would guess.
I agree :)

I really liked the techno.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Liquid Cobra wrote:You've seen pictures I'm sure, possible even a video from the Amsterdam Meet. This thread is weird and I don't know why.
I, for one, am glad that people feel comfortable offering their honest opinion about the knife. If this knife was available for $200 then I'm sure you'd see nothing but the usual glowing praise. At this price point, some people are going to "get it," while others may not. Unlike the stepped chaparral, there's no obvious reason for its MSRP, so whether or not you think it's worth it will have to come from the overall feel and build quality. These things are pretty subjective, and aren't things you can decide from a video or pictures.

And maybe...just maybe...Spyderco really didn't do enough on this collab to justify the MSRP. I hope I'm not drummed out of Spydieland for uttering such blasphemies, but if we allow for this possibility, isn't honestly evaluating the knife the best thing we can do?
mattman

Post by mattman »

Without having examined one yet, and just going by what I have seen/read online, I am still confident in Sals pricing strategy. I'm guessing that there is a LOT of small details that take a significant amount of finishing time and effort... Just because ZT can do 3D machines scales in large quantities, doesn't mean a small, family run maker that constantly pts out the quality we have come to expect can afford a multi-million dollar CNC mill...

This knife is next on my list, and I'll have one in hand soon... But, as of right now, I have no qualms with the current street price.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Mine arrived yesterday and while I can vouch that it is a very nice knife, I turned around and sold it last night. One reason is that the ergos didn't suit me very well. In particular the little finger guard at the pivot and the turn down at the tail of the knife kind of limit your hand to one position and at that one didn't fit my hand. I much prefer the ergos on the Techno and it's a much smaller knife. That said, the rounded scales and the stonewash finish on the handles feel very, very nice. If it didn't have the little finger guard at the pivot, then it would probably be my new favorite knife.

I also had the issue with the clip that others here have mentioned where the clip touches the handle right at the edge of the cut out and makes it difficult to extract from the pocket. I had a ZT 801 that had the same setup and you could almost give yourself a wedgie trying to get the knife out of the pocket. If you could get a wire clip that was maybe an 1/8" to 1/4" longer then I think this would be one of the best carrying knives on the market.

This really is a gorgeous knife and well built knife and I had no qualms with the street price, but for $300 I needed it to really carry and handle like a dream for me. It came very close to being my perfect knife, but in the end it just wasn't quite there.
mark jeneson

Post by mark jeneson »

Mine is on the way now!! I'm pretty excited about this one! Priciest Spydie so far. I'm assembling the all Ti frame-lock crew from small to huge: Techno, Slysz Bowie, Ti Millie and the K2. Next paycheck, the K2 will be heading my way!
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Don't forget the sage 2!
mark jeneson

Post by mark jeneson »

Tvenuto! Good call! That'll fit between the bowie and the techno!
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

mark jeneson wrote:Mine is on the way now!! I'm pretty excited about this one! Priciest Spydie so far. I'm assembling the all Ti frame-lock crew from small to huge: Techno, Slysz Bowie, Ti Millie and the K2. Next paycheck, the K2 will be heading my way!
A mission of mine as well! I just ordered the k2. But don't forget the Ti Millie!
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

Millie's a liner-lock ;)

I might have to pick up another Sage 2 one of these days. I would need to get the spine rounded, though....that drove me nuts (and still does with the Domino)

My Bowie isn't due until tomorrow unfortunately.
mattman

Post by mattman »

Cujobob wrote:Millie's a liner-lock ;)
There was a Ti framelock Millie, but it was a sprint.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

mattman wrote:
The RIL (Reeve Integral Lock) Ti Millie is regular (if limited) production. As far as I know they are still making them, in batches. Even the fluted Ti Millie still appears on dealers shelves every once in awhile.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

mattman wrote:

Nor the Ti Millie with framelock, nor the Fluted Ti Millie with framelock was a sprintrun. They are both regular production models which are still in the catalogue.

There was a G-10 + Ti framelock Millie with M4 steel which was a dealer exclusive by Knifeworks in 2010.
mattman

Post by mattman »

Brain fart!

I was thinking of the D2 Sprint with one g10 scale...
mattman

Post by mattman »

mattman wrote:Brain fart!

I was thinking of the M4 Sprint with one g10 scale...
Studey

Post by Studey »

M4?
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

IG-88 wrote:
mattman wrote:

Nor the Ti Millie with framelock, nor the Fluted Ti Millie with framelock was a sprintrun. They are both regular production models which are still in the catalogue.

There was a G-10 + Ti framelock Millie with M4 steel which was a dealer exclusive by Knifeworks in 2010.
Right! Maybe the first batch of fluted Ti Military could be a "non-official sprint run", as after those they're no longer colored.
mattman

Post by mattman »

Studey wrote:

M4?
I'm having a rough day...
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

Whoa whoa whoa....I totally forgot about a Ti Millie frame lock! Crap...now I need one.

Sorry for the bad correction.
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

Cujobob wrote:Whoa whoa whoa....I totally forgot about a Ti Millie frame lock! Crap...now I need one.

Sorry for the bad correction.
You better don't include the "integral compression lock" in your all titanium family or you'll also need an A.T.R. and a Salsa... :D
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Just got my Bowie in the mail and... I like it! I was worried about the clip, but it seems to go in and out of my pocket just as easily as any other. Fit and finish are great, the blade is sharp, and the action is smooth with good solid lockup. Ergos seem good for me, and I really like the blade shape.

I will say, the only thing I don't really like is the backspacer. It doesn't really seem to match the high-end feel of the rest of the knife. It just looks a bit dull and out of place, kind of like cloth seats in a BMW 7-Series. Especially when compared to the Techno's more special looking backspacer.

But overall, I have no major complaints, and this one is riding in my pocket right now.
:bug-red-white